New Regime and the Run Game in 2019

thejedi41

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Well, well, well, here we are again.  In 5 days, it will be 11 YEARS since we have actually made the playoffs. Man, that stings... You must admit, it is hard to stay a fan of a team with a record like this.

It's been a long time since I have posted here.  Unfortunately, I think my moniker on the last website talked about how LOVIE was going to bring us back to glory....  A New Year is upon us, and before I take all my Buc's gear and put in a box AGAIN, I had a few thoughts.  Many may disagree but, GRUDEN was the LAST BEST thing to happen to this FRANCHISE.  This franchise itself has been in SHAMBLES for years now.  I have many thoughts regarding the difference between MALCOLM and (MY 3 sons) running the state of affairs here. Alas, here we are, starting the coaching search yet, again... I think we are all thankful we didn't pay a KINGS  ransom for that again.  The MACK and the COOPER trade, are prime examples of a MEGALOMANIAC out of touch, running the show. 

Moving on to the new regime.  I do not think we need to blow the team up necessarily.  We have GREAT players at a lot of positions.  I think we are more than fine at WR and LB.  Our Defensive line after YEARS is finally starting to become a CONCERN to other Offensive units. SPEAKING OF OFFENSIVE Units the O-Line is in MUCH need of a serious REVAMP.  Bare with me while I try to fathom the future of this unit. Here are some thoughts:

Ryan Jensen: C'mon MAN! We needed a presence in the middle big time  but, WAY to many penalties. Seriously a DISGUSTING performance, compared to salary (on the fence) C

Donavan Smith Hmmm... For a guy expected to protect the BLINDSIDE, NOT GOOD ENOUGH.  Franchise Tag? 14 Million dollars... I've watched the GREGORY sack over 20 times NOT GOOD ENOUGH, LAZY EFFORT.  This guy needs to be made ACCOUNTABLE!  C-

Caleb Bentoch: Uhhh, Buh BYE:  Cannot keep this guy on the ROSTER...   Don't let the DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ***!!!!  D-

Demar Dotson: Been with us for several years now. Not terrible not great.. Needs to be replaced 33 years old.  C (at best)

ALI MARPET: No critique, no question the best lineman we have moved around. SOLID PERFORMER  B+

OFFENSE:

O- LINE: We need to BLOW it up and start over. Marpet and Jensen will more than likely still be here.  Let' sign at least two Free agents  and Draft 2 new O-Lineman.  There will be plenty of free agents to go after.  Licht doesn't have the greatest record in this regard.  I'm hoping the new coach and new offensive line coach can help turn this thing around.

RUN GAME: We need to have a HARD LOOK at improving this unit as well.

BARBER had a fairly good year with the cards he was dealt.  I definitely think he should be resigned to compete. 

ROJO (Hmmmm) I'm very unsure if he will pan out... Can he at least become gadget playmaker? With all the comparisons to Jamaal Charles I had high hopes. He'll likely be around and given another shot to compete.

FREE AGENTS:

FOURNETTE: Time seems to be possibly running out for him already in Jacksonville. I'd give good thought into a 2nd or 3rd round trade offer for him. He is a BRUISER. He is a bit of another MESEAN but, can he be harnessed? Perhaps a change of scenery for him could help.

AJAYI: What happened to this guy? Can he come back from the Torn ACL? Worth a shot maybe. 

THE FUTURE:

Lets move on to some possible Salary Cap Predictions:

I am borrowing a few thoughts and ideas from Scott Reynolds of Pewter Report for this:

DT Gerald McCoy – $13 million in salary / cap savings  SAD BUT TRUE, I wish we could keep him. He deserves better. He has been an ANCHOR here but, needs flourish elsewhere.
WR DeSean Jackson – $10 million in salary / cap savings  UH BUH BYE, doesn't mesh with WINSTON (He's our guy for 2019)
DE Vinny Curry – $8 million in salary / cap savings TO RICH (for a back up)
TE Cameron Brate – $7 million in salary / cap savings TO MANY DROPS not the same guy he once was, UNFORTUNATE....
DT Beau Allen – $5 million in salary / cap savings (To rich for a back up) Pay cut perhaps?
RT Demar Dotson – $4.85 million ($125,000 dead cap money – saves $4.725 million) UH BUH BYE
DT Mitch Unrein – $3.75 million in salary / cap savings  NOPE (did he even play this year?)
DE Will Gholston – $3.75 million in salary / UH BUH BYE (LICHT, I'm staring DIRECTLY at you on this one)
P Bryan Anger – $3 million in salary / cap savings (We can find a cheaper version of this...)
G Evan Smith – $2 million in salary / cap savings GONE no need 
Possible total cap savings = $54.5 million +

We will certainly need this cap room for a turn around.  The Offense has been much better this season compared to the last five.  Let's hope this up trend continues with the new regime, and we become more of a force to help out the defence..  Man do they need it.

The offensive line needs three new starters. Two tackles and a guard.

Trent Brown from the Pats is a FA. They may let him go and if so, boom we have one tackle to begin with. To me he is better suited at RT but Pats have him at LT. Either way we should pay the man.

I’m not too fond on spending money on guards because I think you can draft good ones in Rounds 2-3. But, Roger Saffold is pretty good player. Rams may let him go. 

Bucs sign two OL and walk into the draft just looking for one starter. Should not be too hard to do. Cappa can compete at RT with the rookie. OL can easily be fixed bucs just need to be ready to spend money.

Good write up. To stick with your topics of OL and running game I agree that only Jensen and Marpet should be back on the OL. New coaching should hopefully help them as well. Idk how good any of the free agents really are but to me this draft should be about OL, DL and DB. Grab a Guard in the 2nd and/or 3rd and maybe one in free agency. I’m just not sure about free agency as much since Licht has struck out so much. I’d stay away from Fournette and Ajayi, attitude and injury concerns respectively. Mark Ingram and Tevin Colman id look at but with a better line, coaching and a fair chance, I think RoJo could really flourish.

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I want no part of Fournette. The guy can not stay healthy. He's missed a significant portion of seasons due to injury going all the way back to college.

He's also not a true 3 down back...

No thanks...

If you take away his 90 yard run his rookie year, he's like a 3.4 ypc RB. 😂

Brate Winston fav weapon... Evans says huh? I would add Howard, Hump and Godwin to the huh list as well. Brate production has gone down the last two seasons and with Howard jumping into the elite group this coming season I am expecting it to be three years in a row IF he sticks. I'm not interested in dumping $7,000,000 for 25-29 catches and 250-350 yards. Clear the cap and get a pick.

8 hours ago, deuces22wild said:

Brate Winston fav weapon... Evans says huh? I would add Howard, Hump and Godwin to the huh list as well. Brate production has gone down the last two seasons and with Howard jumping into the elite group this coming season I am expecting it to be three years in a row IF he sticks. I'm not interested in dumping $7,000,000 for 25-29 catches and 250-350 yards. Clear the cap and get a pick.

Since end of 2016 season, Brate has caught 14% of Jameis throws and 26% of his TDs. Highest on the team, edging out Humphries. So yah, numbers support hes been Jameis' go to guy, especially in red zone...

So just because he only catches 30 balls, he's not valuable now? Are we forgetting the 6 TD catches? 3rd most on team...

OJ Howard is clearly the #1 and should be featured. Doesn't mean we can't run Brate out there as well...

We're not up against the cap that we need the 7 million either. I'm not dumping a productive player; especially in the red zone just to save a couple bucks...

We'll have ample funds to sign FAs and our draft class...

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Since end of 2016 season, Brate has caught 14% of Jameis throws and 26% of his TDs. Highest on the team, edging out Humphries. So yah, numbers support hes been Jameis' go to guy, especially in red zone...

So just because he only catches 30 balls, he's not valuable now? Are we forgetting the 6 TD catches? 3rd most on team...

OJ Howard is clearly the #1 and should be featured. Doesn't mean we can't run Brate out there as well...

We're not up against the cap that we need the 7 million either. I'm not dumping a productive player; especially in the red zone just to save a couple bucks...

We'll have ample funds to sign FAs and our draft class...

Brate has been solid in the past no doubt but why pay the 5th option like he's the 2nd option? Half of his TDs came after Howard went down. He's coming off of a 30 catch 289 yard season. His numbers have gone down two years in a row soon to be three years in a row. Howard and Godwin entering year three with Evans just breaking the franchise yardage record and Hump getting better each game. Oline cant keep Winston standing, run game blows and the def wad one of the worst all time. To each their own but I get a pick and open the cap.

Im all for trading Brate for a third round pick or so but we better have a back up plan. Howard has not played a full season yet. I know we shut his season down but so far through 2 he is prone to injury. 

To save money Bucs should trade Brate and then draft his cheaper replacement in this deep TE class. Brate is a good but its not like he gets separation. Guy just knows how to use his body well.

Archived