Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
titans0021

Positive takeaways from this season

Recommended Posts

I know this probably could have gone in KT’s year in review thread, but I kind of like the idea of a solely positive thread, given that many of us (myself certainly included) lean pessimistic.

I will just hit on a few.

1. Jayon Brown. I almost created a separate thread for Jayon. He came in with fairly low expectations as a fifth rounder. Created a role for himself as a rookie. We then spent a first on an ILB. There was every reason to think he’d just be a long-term role player. Instead, he was probably the third best player on a good defense. At 23 years old. I’d still like Woodyard back, but I feel a lot more comfortable now.

2. Derrick Henry. I’m almost more encouraged by his last two games than by the massive two-game stretch. If this is the Henry that shows up at the start of next year, we’re an entirely different offense. Falling forward, running through contact, not looking to bounce everything or running into the backs of his linemen. I still don’t know how a single Eddie George pep talk completely changed him, but it was really fun to watch him run like a 6-4, 250 pound back.

3. Rashaan Evans. After a miserable first month and a half, things clicked. Combined with Jayon’s emergence, and the fact that their skillsets mesh real well, and things are real bright at ILB. Now it’s time to find a couple actual pass rushers.

4. Kenny Vaccaro. I was going to stop at 3, but Vaccaro needs a place. Given the mixed feelings when he was brought in and the fact that he was thrown into the first in training camp, he was about everything we could’ve hoped for at SS. Maybe not an incredible player, but a real solid starter that needs to be resigned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-Kelly was a nice surprise

-Malcolm Butler was much better after that terrible start

-Byard was great again. 

-Vrabel didn't look out of his depth as a HC though I still wish we'd gone after an offensive minded HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Jayon's emergence was freaking awesome, he's a fun player to watch. Between Landry-Evans-Brown as 3/4 of our future LBs...you gotta love it. Need to get a starter opposite Landry in the offseason. Finch/Correa are adequate back-ups. Agreed on everything mentioned so far, so adding some new ones

-Much of it was out of necessity, but we got some OK production out of UDFAs this year. Batson, Firkser and Finch (might as well include Darius Jennings, too) all played a lot at one point or another and, while it's still much too early to expect much of any of them moving forward, their play kind of eased the wound of only really having 3 draft picks make the team.

-The team is still super resilient. That part of the new culture change has carried over from Mularkey's teams. We often come into the second half with a better gameplan than our opponents and it won us a few games

-Secondary play as a whole was pretty solid. Every team is going to have bad games, and our D sure had a few, but over the course of a 16-game marathon, I'm happy with the improvement the DB unit showed this year

-There were, albeit fleeting, flashes of brilliance from LeFleur. I'm still really confident in him moving forward, as I think he's a young coach figuring it out like anyone would need to, even though I was pretty critical of him at times this year.

-Kern is a real weapon

-Jonnu can play in this league, hoping he has a solid recovery because he's exciting to watch. Physically he really is a Delanie clone

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are a razors edge away from being in the playoffs 3 years in a row. 

That it is a very positive thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We set an NFL record for average kick return yards at 32. No other team in NFL history had averaged more than 30(Chiefs held the previous record in 2013 with 29.9).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brown definitely deserves the top spot if we're talking about highlighting players' performances. Then comes Evans' improvement in the middle of the season, he went from a visible rookie who hasn't caught up to the speed of the game yet to a veteran-like 'backer making instinctive plays and very few mistakes. That was madly impressive, it usually takes at least a year for rookies to figure it out. It took him just a few weeks. Plus Henry's play in the second half of the year, and Vaccaro definitely has proven to be worth of a mention here.

I don't think he necessarily qualifies, but personally I'm very encouraged by Taywan's performance. I know his numbers don't suggest anything close to a breakout year for him, but he was very much improved from year 1 in terms of how he played what they asked of him and I'm pretty confident that if we stay on course, meaning the pass blocking improves, Marcus stays healthy and consistent in his play and we keep LaFleur, he's going to have that breakout year very soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Andrei01 said:

Brown definitely deserves the top spot if we're talking about highlighting players' performances. Then comes Evans' improvement in the middle of the season, he went from a visible rookie who hasn't caught up to the speed of the game yet to a veteran-like 'backer making instinctive plays and very few mistakes. That was madly impressive, it usually takes at least a year for rookies to figure it out. It took him just a few weeks. Plus Henry's play in the second half of the year, and Vaccaro definitely has proven to be worth of a mention here.

I don't think he necessarily qualifies, but personally I'm very encouraged by Taywan's performance. I know his numbers don't suggest anything close to a breakout year for him, but he was very much improved from year 1 in terms of how he played what they asked of him and I'm pretty confident that if we stay on course, meaning the pass blocking improves, Marcus stays healthy and consistent in his play and we keep LaFleur, he's going to have that breakout year very soon.

If Taywan makes a permanent move to the slot I’m all for it, however as an outside receiver I have my doubts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

 

too bad it coincided with adoree turning it all the way off lmao. still, they'd both be helped by us upgrading our pass rush, and hopefully that will happen along with a little more consistency from both of them next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

If Taywan makes a permanent move to the slot I’m all for it, however as an outside receiver I have my doubts 

I don't feel like he's ever had any real contributions from the slot since coming here. Rarely, if ever, see him as the guy going across the middle. 

All of his contributions have been outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TitanSS said:

I don't feel like he's ever had any real contributions from the slot since coming here. Rarely, if ever, see him as the guy going across the middle. 

All of his contributions have been outside. 

the guy has alligator arms and is a body catcher. dude will make a tough catch over the middle of the field when hell freezes over. literally all he's good for are deep shots and screens and he's not even that great at those. we may not be able to seriously upgrade from him this offseason but i'd like to eventually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×