Trade for Antoino Brown?

jleisher

42 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Antonio is one of the hardest workers in the league. There have been numerous ex-Steelers who have ripped on Roethlisberger. I think what Antonio did was awful, but I don't think he is the biggest problem in that locker room. A change of scenery would do him well I'm sure. Not saying Green Bay is a place he'd care to go to, but if he was into it I would be pretty stoked. 

Was it Roethlisberger's fault he was live streaming Tomlin's post game speech a few years ago? I know the QB is an *******, but you leave the facility, then mysteriously get an injury and miss the walk through on Saturday. The last game of the year and a must win to get into the playoffs. There was no report that would have justified that by Brown. Then he skips out at halftime of that game. After that he skips coming to the facilities the next day when everyone is checking out and leaving. He's been MIA since, other than to call a former teammate an Uncle Tom on social media. 

This isn't even a hard pass for me. Character matters and he's got bad character. My two cents.

If we trade for him, I'll be cheering for him. I'll guarantee that. 

Edited by Golfman

Its very attractive until he starts badmouthing Rodgers in the press about targets, going home at halftime, and starts throwing gatorade jugs on the field when hes not getting the ball.  Id give up a third, but I would have to be able to freely get rid of him with no lasting cap issues.

• Like 1

Yes this is a hard pass.  Way to much cash for an aging WR not to mention the stunt he pulled.  Bell is going to have a hard time too.  Fool turned down 14 mil.  Sorry no running back is worth that kind of cash.  He'll never recover it either.  His agent should be fired for incompetence.  Bell may get a semi decent contract but not what he or his agent wants.   

If Brown would be heading into next season at age 29 rather than 31, I'd maybe be tempted.  As it is, I can't get behind bringing in any 31 year old WR on the kind of contract Brown has.  Rodgers doesn't exactly have a history of immediately clicking with new WR's, but maybe the new staff/system will help with that.  I'd think Rodgers would (in theory) be doing less freelancing within a new system he hasn't yet mastered.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Yes this is a hard pass.  Way to much cash for an aging WR not to mention the stunt he pulled.  Bell is going to have a hard time too.  Fool turned down 14 mil.  Sorry no running back is worth that kind of cash.  He'll never recover it either.  His agent should be fired for incompetence.  Bell may get a semi decent contract but not what he or his agent wants.   

Bell retiring is not out of the question in my opinion. I think he's that stubborn and might walk away. I absolutely agree he's not getting a deal averaging 14 a year. The only way he does if a team like Indy with 100 million cap space just overpays him because they have the cap space to do so. They could absorb a lot of it in year one so they could cut bait if necessary at any point of the contract.

That is one example, but paying this guy over 14 million a year is very likely not going to happen. 

10 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Bell's situation is on Bell, not his agent.  No agent was going to convince Bell to sign a 2nd franchise tag.

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Bell's situation is on Bell, not his agent.  No agent was going to convince Bell to sign a 2nd franchise tag.

Perhaps.  Don't know if it is his agent, him, or both.  Very very bad decision on their part.  Don't think he is planning on retiring as Golf suggested.  I think they have overestimated his worth.  Sitting out a year doesn't make him more valuable either.  Quite to the contrary IMO.   Should be interesting to follow this story and see how he does.  Should have taken the money and played IMO.

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Agreed, and count me as someone who doesn’t blame him (to some degree).  Bell’s a four down workhorse!  He had 406 touches in 2017 - averaged 27 touches per game (passing and receiving both).  He’s not stupid - that many touches per game will wear your body down much faster than most other running backs in the league.  When he’s not touching the ball, he’s blocking - and damn good at it too.  He knows his body only has a few good years left and I don’t blame him for wanting to get paid.  

A guy like Bell, who can run, catch (80% receiving rate), block, and is good for 11TD’s in 15 games is worth whatever team has the money to pay him.

5 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Perhaps.  Don't know if it is his agent, him, or both.  Very very bad decision on their part.  Don't think he is planning on retiring as Golf suggested.  I think they have overestimated his worth.  Sitting out a year doesn't make him more valuable either.  Quite to the contrary IMO.   Should be interesting to follow this story and see how he does.  Should have taken the money and played IMO.

The bigger issue here is not Bell, it's the franchise tag itself.  It's a totally screwed up concept to begin with, and the implementation of it makes it even worse.  Bell played for 4 years as one of the best RB's in the game.  For those 4 years, he was paid a grand total of 4.1M.  At worst, he should have been able to hit the UFA market in his 5th year.  Instead, the franchise tag allows PIT to force Bell into a 1 year contract of FAR less value than what Bell would receive on the open market.  After that 5th season, PIT is then allowed to do the exact same thing again.  It's a totally screwed up system.

Just now, Joe said:

I want nobody leaving that Steelers organization. Tomlin's lost that group and he's got a bunch of malcontents there now. If I'm the Rooney family, I'm cleaning house at this point.

They should just hire McCarthy already.  McCarthy would trade Brown for swapping first and second round picks and the worst quarterback from the previous year as his backup.  McCarthy doesn't mess around with character concerns. 

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The bigger issue here is not Bell, it's the franchise tag itself.  It's a totally screwed up concept to begin with, and the implementation of it makes it even worse.  Bell played for 4 years as one of the best RB's in the game.  For those 4 years, he was paid a grand total of 4.1M.  At worst, he should have been able to hit the UFA market in his 5th year.  Instead, the franchise tag allows PIT to force Bell into a 1 year contract of FAR less value than what Bell would receive on the open market.  After that 5th season, PIT is then allowed to do the exact same thing again.  It's a totally screwed up system.

Hard to argue that 6th year wouldn't be at market value on a peer year basis. It's the long term value that gets him.