Trade for Antoino Brown?

jleisher

21 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The bigger issue here is not Bell, it's the franchise tag itself.  It's a totally screwed up concept to begin with, and the implementation of it makes it even worse.  Bell played for 4 years as one of the best RB's in the game.  For those 4 years, he was paid a grand total of 4.1M.  At worst, he should have been able to hit the UFA market in his 5th year.  Instead, the franchise tag allows PIT to force Bell into a 1 year contract of FAR less value than what Bell would receive on the open market.  After that 5th season, PIT is then allowed to do the exact same thing again.  It's a totally screwed up system.

Blame the player's union i guess :) That's who wanted the rookie wage deal change. More money for vets who prove themselves.

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

They should just hire McCarthy already.  McCarthy would trade Brown for swapping first and second round picks and the worst quarterback from the previous year as his backup.  McCarthy doesn't mess around with character concerns. 

I stopped myself short of saying "hire McCarthy." The Steelers have been complacent under Tomlin and McCarthy was fired for that reason alone.

35 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hard to argue that 6th year wouldn't be at market value on a peer year basis. It's the long term value that gets him.

The single year number was never the issue.  The total guaranteed money is where the player gets totally screwed.  Is there a position in the league where the player is more likely to sustain a career altering injury than a high usage RB?  The "he'll never be able to make up for the money he lost by sitting out" crowd completely ignores the risk he takes by playing on a one year deal.  It is 100% true that Bell comes out behind on the aggregate if he plays on the 2nd F-tag in 2018 and he gets through the season healthy.  But getting through the season healthy is a huge assumption to make.  It's a virtual lock that Bell's next deal will have considerably more guaranteed money than what he would have played for on the 2nd F-tag.

31 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Blame the player's union i guess :) That's who wanted the rookie wage deal change. More money for vets who prove themselves.

It still amazes me how badly the NLFPA got stomped in their last deal with the league.  It seemed like the union was so focused on reworking the rookie structure (which the owners already wanted to do) that they forgot about several other major issues that also needed to be dealt with.

22 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The single year number was never the issue.  The total guaranteed money is where the player gets totally screwed.  Is there a position in the league where the player is more likely to sustain a career altering injury than a high usage RB?  The "he'll never be able to make up for the money he lost by sitting out" crowd completely ignores the risk he takes by playing on a one year deal.  It is 100% true that Bell comes out behind on the aggregate if he plays on the 2nd F-tag in 2018 and he gets through the season healthy.  But getting through the season healthy is a huge assumption to make.  It's a virtual lock that Bell's next deal will have considerably more guaranteed money than what he would have played for on the 2nd F-tag.

But the Steelers can't afford the 3rd tag. He's in the driver's seat at that point.

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

But the Steelers can't afford the 3rd tag. He's in the driver's seat at that point.

Yup.

2018 Bell could have had $14M

2019 could be 120% of $14M if tagged again

2020 would be like 144% of the 2019.

I might be off a year as I think the 2018 tag was the 2nd one.  

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Which is exactly why there was a valid argument to be made for Bell not signing the 2nd tag.  Since PIT didn't rescind the 2nd tag, the still get "charged" for the 2nd application of the tag on Bell.  It doesn't matter that he didn't sign it.  Now PIT can't afford the 3rd tag, and per every account I have read, Bell will be hitting the UFA market this off-season.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If GB didn't have Adams, I would entertain the idea of trading for Brown. 

With Adams locked in for a few years, GB does not need Brown at the expense of other needs...OL, TE,  EDGE, S, DL

would you rather have Graham + $3million or Brown? I kinda want to see what LaFleur and Rodgers would do w/ Graham...

I'd address OL first though, for sure.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

would you rather have Graham + $3million or Brown? I kinda want to see what LaFleur and Rodgers would do w/ Graham...

I'd address OL first though, for sure.

By TE, I am thinking longer out than 2019.

I am fine with Graham for 2019, but getting a developmental TE prospect needs to happen either in draft, FA or trade.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

By TE, I am thinking longer out than 2019.

I am fine with Graham for 2019, but getting a developmental TE prospect needs to happen either in draft, FA or trade.

yeah, draft is cheap though and wouldn't be impacted by a Brown signing. So really the comp would be Graham vs Brown for the short-term. (Or Cook, the only other worthwhile TE on the market).

I'd take the top guard/tackle on the market instead though to pair w/ Bulaga on the right side.

As much as anything, a risk in trading for Brown would be that he would immediately start chirping about wanting a revised contract.

Trading for Brown on draft day would mean that PIT has already paid a 2.5M bonus for 2019.  That gives the team acquiring Brown 3 remaining years under contract at what are very reasonable costs for a player of his caliber.  On top of that, NONE of the remaining money on his contract would be guaranteed.

2019 - 12.6M

2020 - 11.3M

2021 - 12.5M

Cobb's cap hit last season was 12.5M, so I guess there is a real argument to be made here for looking at this as swapping Cobb for Brown with no net cap implications from a roster construction standpoint.  It really is too bad that Brown seems to be such a d-bag.  Then again, he wouldn't be part of these trade rumors if he wasn't.