Call Your Shot: 2019 NFL Draft - Your One Must Get Guy

Mr Anonymous

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Is it just me, or did literally every single one of those wildly amazing Devin White gifs show him literally unblocked?  I'd hope that's not the only evidence there to suggest he's worth a 12th overall pick. 

I think the first 4-5 were unblocked.  

Comparing Jones and Burks to White is a joke. Dig deeper on the film of White and you will see a guy who is great in coverage, takes great angles from sideline to sideline, gets off of blocks, makes plays, and rarely misses a tackle. His best attribute IMO is his vision, speed, and strength, when he gets a hold of a ball carrier they do not escape. He sees the field like a running back and hits the open hole, that's why you see him unblocked many times, however he is very capable of getting off blocks and making plays. IMO the two edge/DL guys that are clearly better than the rest (Bosa & Allen) of this "deep" group will be long gone by #12 and the best defensive player after those two is White, unfortunately I don't think he will make it to #12 either.

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Is it just me, or did literally every single one of those wildly amazing Devin White gifs show him literally unblocked?  I'd hope that's not the only evidence there to suggest he's worth a 12th overall pick. 

Yeah those gif's are not really helpful haha

3 minutes ago, Redt said:

Comparing Jones and Burks to White is a joke. Dig deeper on the film of White and you will see a guy who is great in coverage, takes great angles from sideline to sideline, gets off of blocks, makes plays, and rarely misses a tackle. His best attribute IMO is his vision, speed, and strength, when he gets a hold of a ball carrier they do not escape. He sees the field like a running back and hits the open hole, that's why you see him unblocked many times, however he is very capable of getting off blocks and making plays. IMO the two edge/DL guys that are clearly better than the rest (Bosa & Allen) of this "deep" group will be long gone by #12 and the best defensive player after those two is White, unfortunately I don't think he will make it to #12 either.

If he gets past the Bengals at #11, I'll be shocked.

27 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

A: You should never because they are never the best prospect because their position has such little impact

B: They don't. Significant amounts of literature have been written on this.

C: The draft is a component of team building. You have limited resources (cap space) so the real value of the draft is getting below market rate talent. If you can draft a RB and pay him 5M per year or go get a proven NFL talent RB for 5M, you're not getting any extra value out of the RB. That is why drafting premium positions with high FA costs is the best way to build a team. That doesn't mean every pick should be a QB/LT/EDGE because you have to meet a certain threshold of quality to be useful, but there is virtually no situation in which a RB/LB can provide a better value in the first round than another player that grades out as a first rounder.

The biggest problem with draft analysis is we see Best Player Available as the way of evaluating whether or not a player is a good pick when the goal really should be Best Expected Value Available.

Except for the below market value stuff I just don't agree with any of this , particularly this part:  but there is virtually no situation in which a RB/LB can provide a better value in the first round than another player that grades out as a first rounder.

How is this the case? Of course as the draft is happening live, but the whole "how the player actually performs in the NFL" should count for something, no? 

Once again, I am a fan of drafting RBs in the 2nd/3rd rinse and repeat and keep them on rookie deals. But this whole notion of passing on Blue chip prospects for lesser players at a more premium positions is nonsense. 

38 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, had me cracking up.

4 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Watch Martinez' last three games.  I hope he's hurt because most of his tackles were 5 yards beyond the LOS.  White would finally give us the ILB we've been missing for a long time.  He's good enough in coverage to stay on the field all three downs.  He's an impact player at a second level position, but he is a helluva football player.  His combine numbers might change your mind.

We also have been playing 3 backups and 3rd string DL the last few weeks. 

Boy, the board would have to be really bad and I’d have to have no options to trade back to take White that high. 

At 32... heck ya but dang,  12? It would be last resort for me and I like the kid. 

I hate trading down. We've been missing top talent trying to get good "value"

If Devin White is at 12 and theres no edge or great safety prospect and then we DONT take him. Ill be livid!!!

I rather miss onm a top end potential guys then trading back for safer solid players. We don't have difference makers on this team.

Difference makers :

Aaron Rodgers, Davonte Adams, maybe Aaron Jones but hes not given the ball enough

On defense? Maybe Jaire Alexander, Mike Daniels prior to this year. Kenny Clark debateable.

We need to go either Edge, DE/DT, or OT with our first rounders.  D-line and edge is the strength of the draft and also matches up with our current needs.  Fortify the defense.  S, WR, TE, or possible OL with our 2nd rounder.  Some guys have floated landing an impact WR with one of our firsts.  I get the want and desire but what best helps our team.  I'd go bigs.  DE, DT, OT or Edge. 

How about Jeffrey Simmons and Christian Wilkins.  Imagine pairing those guys with Kenny Clark.   Some top end DT will fall to the bottom of the first.  So many of them this year.  Maybe because of the PED Lawrence falls.  I have never seen a draft with so much DL talent ever.  Would be nice to know what kind of Defense we are going to run next year.  3-4 or 4-3.  

I matter what type of defense and offense we run, we need to draft OG and depth for OT. We also NEED edge and DL. We are below average at one DE spot and Daniels is in his last year of a contract. 

Without shoring up the trenches it doesn’t matter. 

Also, I know I’ll get beat up about this but other than a slot guy, why are so many over-reacting about WR? We drafted 3 WR’s and brought in a FA. 3 of those have shown good things and the 4th was the highest pick. Adams, Jordy and even Cobb made less impact as rookies as MVS and St. Brown. With another year I think those last 2 could make our WR unit look very good. 

34 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Also, I know I’ll get beat up about this but other than a slot guy, why are so many over-reacting about WR? We drafted 3 WR’s and brought in a FA. 3 of those have shown good things and the 4th was the highest pick. Adams, Jordy and even Cobb made less impact as rookies as MVS and St. Brown. With another year I think those last 2 could make our WR unit look very good. 

It is easier to make an impact when the #2 Cobb misses extended time, the #3 Allison is injured and ends up on IR.  Much easier to have an impact when you get snaps.  

I would argue that Adams had a pretty solid impact as a rookie.  Jordy and Cobb were like 4th and 5th options as pass catchers

1 hour ago, gopackgo27 said:

This entire forum is going to hate me & Polite by Draft day, love this dude.

not me. love the guy too when I watch him.

As of today, I'd be stoked to land him at 12. Actually feel after the combine he will move into the top 10 talk and might not even be there.

Archived