The Gun Thread

fotballer

On 3/28/2018 at 5:57 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Whenever I hear people say AR-15s are the best home defense weapon, I wonder what kind of home defense they anticipate needing.  I'd much rather have a simple shotgun in that scenario unless people anticipate having to defend their property against a small militia or zombies. 

This isn't related to politics at all, just realistic discussion on usefulness of guns. 

The kind where we want something comfortable to shoot, light enough to move around with, capable of mounting optics and lights, not limited to 5-7 shots, far more accurate than a scatter gun, and not nearly as capable of over penetrating several walls and maintaining lethal capability with it's projectiles.

I mean, there is literally an optic that is specifically designed to be used on an AR at home defense distances.

Edited by Slateman

5 hours ago, Slateman said:

The kind where we want something comfortable to shoot

They are comfortable, but a 5.56 round indoors without ear protection.  I can hear the ringing now.

, light enough to move around with

Still not nearly as light as a pistol.

, capable of mounting optics and lights

As are pistols.

, not limited to 5-7 shots,

Neither are pistols.

far more accurate than a scatter gun

Both are accurate enough in such a setting.

, and not nearly as capable of over penetrating several walls and maintaining lethal capability with it's projectiles.

True.

I mean, there is literally an optic that is specifically designed to be used on an AR at home defense distances.

I get why people love them, but for true home defense there are better options IMO, especially with other people in the home. If you need to move through a home, a pistol is far easier to operate.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They are comfortable, but a 5.56 round indoors without ear protection.  I can hear the ringing now.

Still not nearly as light as a pistol.

As are pistols.

Neither are pistols.

Both are accurate enough in such a setting.

True.

I get why people love them, but for true home defense there are better options IMO, especially with other people in the home. If you need to move through a home, a pistol is far easier to operate.

lol, you think that somehow a shotgun is going to be easy on the ears? Guess what suppresses more easily and reliably?

Again, talking about shotguns. But for pistols,. AR15 is easier to accurately employ. There is no such thing as too accurate, particularly when attempting to compensate for massive surges of adrenaline in your body.

A pistol is no easier than an AR15 with a sub 12 inch barrel. And in 90% (or more) of home defense cases, you're simply going to post up somewhere defensible, dial 911, and stay behind cover/concealment.

27 minutes ago, Slateman said:

lol, you think that somehow a shotgun is going to be easy on the ears?

No.  Who said that?

Guess what suppresses more easily and reliably?

A pistol?

Again, talking about shotguns. But for pistols,. AR15 is easier to accurately employ.

For home defense? I disagree.  Try walking around a corner with a rifle vs a handgun. Try opening a door with a rifle shouldered.

There is no such thing as too accurate, particularly when attempting to compensate for massive surges of adrenaline in your body.

I mean, I agree, but if accuracy is your issue in the home you should probably shoot more. I’m no more accurate with a rifle than I am a pistol at 30-40 feet. 

A pistol is no easier than an AR15 with a sub 12 inch barrel.

In which have you have a tax stamp or...... a pistol.

And in 90% (or more) of home defense cases, you're simply going to post up somewhere defensible, dial 911, and stay behind cover/concealment.

Not if you have kids upstairs you’re not.

• Like 1

FWIW, they also make low penetration ammo in .223 and 5.56 for home defense. Overall, the customization of the allows you to create your own very good home defense weapon. A generic off the wall AR with no idea about what you should be looking for in home defense..... a shotgun may serve you better. But yes, an AR can be very good for home defense if designed as such.  

• 4 weeks later...

Who here carries at the appendix position?  I'm considering doing that when my ccw finally comes through, gotta pick out my carry gun though.  Everyone loves glock but I think as an extra safety measure, since I'll have the gun pointed in an area that I'd rather keep, I'd rather get something that is hammer fired instead of striker fired, so as I holster I can keep my finger on the hammer as an additional safety measure.  I was looking at the CZ75 p01 omega, but not far enough in the process to have a decision made.  I could certainly still go with a glock, or some other striker fired gun, or even a revolver, I just can't make up my mind.

Edited by TankWilliams

18 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Who here carries at the appendix position?  I'm considering doing that when my ccw finally comes through, gotta pick out my carry gun though.  Everyone loves glock but I think as an extra safety measure, since I'll have the gun pointed in an area that I'd rather keep, I'd rather get something that is hammer fired instead of striker fired, so as I holster I can keep my finger on the hammer as an additional safety measure.  I was looking at the CZ75 p01 omega, but not far enough in the process to have a decision made.  I could certainly still go with a glock, or some other striker fired gun, or even a revolver, I just can't make up my mind.

That’s a big gun to carry appendix imo.

Appendix has its advantages, but if you have any sort of belly it won’t be super comfy when seated, especially with a gun that size.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s a big gun to carry appendix imo.

Appendix has its advantages, but if you have any sort of belly it won’t be super comfy when seated, especially with a gun that size.

P01?  http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-ω-convertible-omega/

Thats not that large, its roughly the same size as a glock 19, which I know multiple people who carry at appendix.   The gut wont be a problem, lol.  

27 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

P01?  http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-ω-convertible-omega/

Thats not that large, its roughly the same size as a glock 19, which I know multiple people who carry at appendix.   The gut wont be a problem, lol.  

I’m familiar with it, used to own one.

You can carry a Desert Eagle appendix if you really want, doesn’t mean it’s going to be comfortable.

Body type and what you’ll be doing while carrying will determine comfort (sitting vs standing, chubby vs thin).  

Also, practice your draw and such A LOT if that’s how you plan to carry. An AD when carrying strong side hip means a bullet in your arse.  With appendix it’s your nuts or femoral artery, which can be fatal QUICKLY.

55 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m familiar with it, used to own one.

You can carry a Desert Eagle appendix if you really want, doesn’t mean it’s going to be comfortable.

Body type and what you’ll be doing while carrying will determine comfort (sitting vs standing, chubby vs thin).  

Also, practice your draw and such A LOT if that’s how you plan to carry. An AD when carrying strong side hip means a bullet in your arse.  With appendix it’s your nuts or femoral artery, which can be fatal QUICKLY.

I'm a relatively thin 6'6 guy, so I don't think i'll have too much trouble, but it will be worth testing out.  

You used to have a p01, any reason why you don't anymore?

4 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm a relatively thin 6'6 guy, so I don't think i'll have too much trouble, but it will be worth testing out.  

You used to have a p01, any reason why you don't anymore?

I personally found it didn’t anything better than guns I already had so I sold it.

Not a huge fan of SA/DA either, prefer striker fired for consistency from first shot to second.

Don’t read too much into me selling it though, I usually buy and sell as I get the itch or get bored with something.

If you like it, go for it, it was nice enough.  There are some good CZ gunsmiths that can get that trigger slick as hell if that’s something you’re interested in.

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I personally found it didn’t anything better than guns I already had so I sold it.

Not a huge fan of SA/DA either, prefer striker fired for consistency from first shot to second.

Don’t read too much into me selling it though, I usually buy and sell as I get the itch or get bored with something.

If you like it, go for it, it was nice enough.  There are some good CZ gunsmiths that can get that trigger slick as hell if that’s something you’re interested in.

I currently only have 1 handgun, an IWI Jericho 941 which I love for range day, but is quite large.  That being said, its based on the CZ-75, so I"ll have the familiarity which I think is a benefit

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I currently only have 1 handgun, an IWI Jericho 941 which I love for range day, but is quite large.  That being said, its based on the CZ-75, so I"ll have the familiarity which I think is a benefit

It will.

I had a CZ-85 too, and they were very similar to one another. If you like that style of pistol, it’s a good option.

Enjoy it!

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:57 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Whenever I hear people say AR-15s are the best home defense weapon, I wonder what kind of home defense they anticipate needing.  I'd much rather have a simple shotgun in that scenario unless people anticipate having to defend their property against a small militia or zombies. 

This isn't related to politics at all, just realistic discussion on usefulness of guns. 

I love me a good short barreled shot gun. Don't even need to aim if someone breaks into your house. Just pull the trigger while the gun is facing their general direction and they will be dead.