The Gun Thread

fotballer

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s looking for a revolver.

You may be able to find a used S&W at that price, but you should definitely be able to get a used Ruger.  

The Ruger will be less refined than the Smith, but they’re built like tanks.  A used Ruger and a trigger job by a competent gunsmith makes for a solid revolver.

Appreciate the reply... The budget isn’t set in stone by any means. 

$500 is what I would feel good spending based on internet people reviews as an “off the cuff” answer, but if the value at $6-$700 is much better I’d be willing to “splurge”

I’ll look into the Smith and Wesson’s 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ruger SR9 is the perfect vanilla self defense gun imo.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He’s looking for a revolver.

I fancy myself a bit of a cattle rustlin

Edited by Dome

11 minutes ago, Dome said:

Appreciate the reply... The budget isn’t set in stone by any means. 

$500 is what I would feel good spending based on internet people reviews as an “off the cuff” answer, but if the value at $6-$700 is much better I’d be willing to “splurge”

I’ll look into the Smith and Wesson’s 

The Smith’s have a better trigger and are generally more aesthetically pleasing.

Depending on the size you want and how much .357 ammo vs .38 special you’d want to run through it, the models 19, 586/686 and 27 are all gems and, if well maintained, will generally hold their value.

I’d say avoid a .357 snubby.  Even with .38 special they aren’t terribly fun to shoot and with hot magnum loads (hehe) they are friggin awful imo. 

• Like 1

Shot my first IDPA style competition tonight. I feel almost silly saying it, but I was friggin nervous. 😆 I’ve shot by myself probably 95% of the time with the exception being a friend or my kids and I’ve never had any formal training, just kinda self taught though videos and such so I was concerned I was gonna go in there and look like a damned fool (which is really not my personality, I’m usually pretty comfortable in most situations).

It was 2 stages, 37 total round.  First was 5 (5) round strings drawing while standing still from 10 yard, a mix of two handed and strong hand fire.  I dropped 4 out of the A zone.  

The second course was a low light (as in DARK, indoor range, lights off).  Use your light, identify which target has the gun, 4 rounds, light off mag change while moving to the second position behind a barricade.  4 shots on 2 targets with a “hostage”/no shoot target somewhat overlapping the edges of both.  Ran this course clean.

So I get done, realize I actually did ok and definitely didn’t make a fool of myself and all realized nobody there would have cared if I had.  

What I guess I’m getting at, is if you’ve ever thought about doing something like this and putting your skills to an actual test, DO IT! I had a ton of fun and learned more about where I stood as a shooter from those 37 rounds than you’d even think possible.  Low light/no light, on the move, behind barriers, on a timer with an audience was a different experience all together.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As it turns out, they posted the results of the match this am and I came in 2nd out of 22 and won “most accurate”.

Legit geeked right now.  I’ve spent a good bit of time practicing the last 6 months (once a week) and it’s nice to get some positive feedback.

they should turn you into a video game

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As it turns out, they posted the results of the match this am and I came in 2nd out of 22 and won “most accurate”.

Legit geeked right now.  I’ve spent a good bit of time practicing the last 6 months (once a week) and it’s nice to get some positive feedback.

Awesome job!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Nice, I run a 365XL.  Have you tried that as a point of comparison?  

I did not. I shot the Sig P320 compact, the Glock 43 and 43-x, and the FN-509 compact. I already own a full size X-D that I really love, so I'm partial to Springfield I guess lol.

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally cashed in most of the OT fun money I earned during quarantine yesterday and ordered the goodies for a rifle I’ve wanted for a while now.

Aero M4E1 lower

Aero LPK minus FCG

LaRue MBT Trigger

Vltor A5 receiver/buffer with extra tungsten weights to play with until I get the weight I want.

Sprinco green buffer spring

BCM Sopmod stock

BCM 16 inch mid length ELW with MCMR rail

BCM BCG with spare bolt 

Radian Raptor SD charging handle 

BCM KAG

ADM Recon mount

Vortex Razor 1-6

Cloud Defensive OWL

Can’t wait to get it built and put some rounds down range.