The Gun Thread

fotballer

4 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I wasn't talking about terms of mortality rate in what I'm assuming are homicides (link to that claim btw? I'm interested in the study) because... well, frankly I couldn't give two craps about that. 

I tried to find it half-heartedly but couldn't locate it. It was a fairly large sample. Makes sense you wouldn't care about it given your quote, but I've heard people scoff at a friend of mine who keeps a little .22 pistol in his bedroom as home self-defense. "hurr hurr that's barely a gun!" 

Hunting you definitely need something larger for deer since it's illegal of course.

12 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

I tried to find it half-heartedly but couldn't locate it. It was a fairly large sample. Makes sense you wouldn't care about it given your quote, but I've heard people scoff at a friend of mine who keeps a little .22 pistol in his bedroom as home self-defense. "hurr hurr that's barely a gun!" 

Hunting you definitely need something larger for deer since it's illegal of course.

Obviously there are much better options than a .22 for home defense, but its definitely better than nothing. 

Do you remember if the study included suicides? That would raise the lethality in all guns compared to strictly murder or legal homicide, skewing the stats in favor of the .22 because of how common it is. Everyone and their grandma has or has had some .22 revolver or pistol at some point, they're everywhere. If not, they have a .22 hunting rifle from the 70's back when they were more common as a hunting rifle, laying in a closet somewhere.

I think you'd see a steep decline in fatality rates of a .22 if you looked at home defense vs larger caliber handguns.

Suicides and and a large number of homicides (most of these aren't random shootings, but family members shooting a loved one in their sleep at close range) are likely skewing the results in the favor of .22 because of how common a caliber it is. 

1 minute ago, cddolphin said:

If they did, that would be a terrible flaw.

Well, most stats incorporate suicides. If you eliminate gang/drug related and suicides, the "gun violence" stats go down tremendously.

Anyway,

.22 LR is great for training. Many platforms are chambered in it. Several handguns have .22 conversion kits. Great for practicing drills or developing proper trigger control.

That being said, there is no way in hell I trust it in self defense. If it was capable, you'd have a bunch of police agencies equipping them. Or even the 5.7 round.

• Like 1

.22 has virtually no stopping power either. You're hoping for a shot to instantly kill and attacker and that's not likely for a situation where someone is barging in your bedroom door. More than likely you're gonna miss overall, but if you hit center of mass you're gonna wish you had something with a bit more oompph, especially if the attacker is motivated/drugged/or insane. All likely in a "draw your gun" situation.

Maybe the lethality statistics are the same, but take away the variables and look at the ballistics and there's no doubt there are better weapons for home defense.

In a home defense situation give me stopping power every day of the week. 

7 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

What is your go-to?

I'm not huge on home defense, just not something I worry about. I buy guns I want to use for hunting/target practice, and have a couple of them ready to go if need be.

I keep a loaded short-barrel 20 gauge with mounted flashlight in the bedroom. Just one shot, but should be real effective against a bump in the night. I also keep a loaded 10/22 with a 25 round clip in my wifes walk in closet. So in a situation where we thought an intruder was in the house we'd each have a gun and we have also discussed holding up in our bedroom and bailing out the window if it comes to it. I'd much rather run away than fight it out, especially with the wifey involved.

I also have a .30-06, .117HMR, and .270 upstairs as well, though they're all in storage and unloaded. That's just for when the government, or aliens come though. 

9 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

What is your go-to?

IMO there isn't a right answer per se, just a minimum threshold I'd want to meet. 9mm, 10mm, 40, 45, 38, 357 (mag and Sig), 41, 44, etc are all great options in proven calibers.

Smaller stuff like a 380, 32, 22, etc is where you're really compromising effectiveness IMO (at least based on ballistics tests).

For me personally I'm not a fan of recoil/muzzle blast and much prefer quicker follow up shots, so 9mm is my go to.  With modern HP ammo it's a pretty effective round.

With having kids the idea of barricading myself in the bedroom and waiting for the cops isn't an option, i have to be prepared to go get them so that takes the AR off the table so to speak. I need to be able to operate whatever gun with one hand. I can shoot the 9mm well with both strong and less strong hand (no weak hand here ladies) and am still able to open doors, clobber fools, etc.

1 hour ago, JPPT1974 said:

Sorry to get off topic. Did not mean to. Just am afraid of guns that's all.

Not to be rude, but this thread isn't really to discuss your fear of guns. If you're afraid of guns your best bet is going to be to steer clear of the gun thread. I don't think any of us here are going to help you overcome your fear, and I can't imagine you're going to do much persuading of your own before it turns political. So let's just stay on topic.

On 8/23/2017 at 8:15 AM, fotballer said:

What guns do you own? Which is your favourite one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPPT1974 said:

Sorry to get off topic. Did not mean to. Just am afraid of guns that's all.

You ever shot one?

It's easy to be afraid of something if you've never experienced it, but, like most things if you actually go shooting and learn a little bit you may not find them scary at all.

In case you're not aware, most shooting ranges rent guns and the ammo needed to shoot them as well as targets.  Most include eye/ear protection in the cost of the lane rental.  A good range will have range safety officers (RSO) who can help you get set up and give some quick pointers and make sure you're acting in a safe manner. The only thing that most ranges require is ID and to sign a waiver.

• Like 1