The Gun Thread

fotballer

On 12/24/2019 at 7:37 AM, ET80 said:

Haven't been shooting in a bit, but probably should... still have the Sig Sauer P320, but I sold the Benelli Nova (I don't hunt birds, so it really didn't get much work to begin with).

So, I sold the Benelli, but I picked up a Remington 870 Tactical this past week.

remington-870-express-tactical.jpg

More home defense-y. Going to try to shoot some clay pigeons this weekend, Corona permitting...

• Like 1

So I've always liked pew pews and wanted to get some but my wife had never shot or been properly trained so I never got anything. That changed a couple months ago so now is as good of a time as any to get one! 

My boss and coworker are huge gun nuts and they recommended I try to snag the PS9 Dagger this month. Anyone here have any thoughts on that? Looks like a solid deal to me but they said it'll sell out in minutes. Do we know when it's going to be released? I couldn't find anything on that

Edited by JTagg7754

I inherited a "Mauser" or I think they call it a Kar-98?  I know nothing about guns but these were apparently used by the Germans in WW2.  It appears to be in working order but nowhere near a "new" state.  Any guesses on how much it would be worth?

1 hour ago, titanrick said:

I inherited a "Mauser" or I think they call it a Kar-98?  I know nothing about guns but these were apparently used by the Germans in WW2.  It appears to be in working order but nowhere near a "new" state.  Any guesses on how much it would be worth?

https://www.jgsales.com/german-mauser-kar-98-bolt-action-rifle,-8x57,-24-barrel,-c-r,-g-vg,-used.-p-100880.html 

MilSurps can vary a lot in price, this is just for reference.  It also depends on if anyone has altered it in any way.

20 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

So I've always liked pew pews and wanted to get some but my wife had never shot or been properly trained so I never got anything. That changed a couple months ago so now is as good of a time as any to get one! 

My boss and coworker are huge gun nuts and they recommended I try to snag the PS9 Dagger this month. Anyone here have any thoughts on that? Looks like a solid deal to me but they said it'll sell out in minutes. Do we know when it's going to be released? I couldn't find anything on that

It’s a cheaper Glock-ish clone.

I’d just get the original and be done with it personally, but if cost is a concern look for police trade in Glocks.  Usually carried a lot, shot a little and any parts that may be worn can be replaced for next to nothing.  If the idea of working on the gun bothers you, literally any idiot can work on a Glock. Like me for example.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s a cheaper Glock-ish clone.

I’d just get the original and be done with it personally, but if cost is a concern look for police trade in Glocks.  Usually carried a lot, shot a little and any parts that may be worn can be replaced for next to nothing.  If the idea of working on the gun bothers you, literally any idiot can work on a Glock. Like me for example.

I've never attempted to work on a gun before but the guys I mentioned have built many so it wouldn't be hard to get a teacher. One built an AR pistol and man, that thing is fun to shoot!! They've told me about police trade-in Glocks as well. Right now, price is a slight concern only due to job instability all over the country and we're doing a bathroom reno soon lol. I don't feel my wife or I will lose our job any time soon but hell, never know. Still, I know police trade-ins are much more expensive than the $300+ price tag the PS9 will have. I have been looking at Glocks as they are the favorite among my coworkers who I get all my gun info from.

Thanks for chiming in.

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES - you have a 1911, right? How do you like it?

Not any longer.

I’ve had 5 over the years.  Colt XSE, Springfield Loaded and Dan Wesson VBOB in .45 AARP and a Dan Wesson Guardian and Colt Commander in 9mm.

Great triggers by and large but not one of them ran without malfunctioning every couple hundred rounds. I love the “idea” of them or the history or whatever, but shooting them was disappointing tbh.

Sold them all and just shoot Glocks now.  Ugly, generic, etc but simply run.

I look at 1911’s like a Harley Davidson.  Pretty, historic, etc., but has simply been passed by with newer technologies and generally overpriced comparatively.

Also, they weigh a frigging ton.  Even the Guardian which is aluminum framed weighed the same as a G19, but the 19 carried 6 more rounds.  Not a big deal if you don’t carry, but when you do, those ounces add up.

Did that crap on your prospective purchase enough? 😂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I've never attempted to work on a gun before but the guys I mentioned have built many so it wouldn't be hard to get a teacher. One built an AR pistol and man, that thing is fun to shoot!!

I call a plumber to fix a leaky toilet and I can build them.  Watch a YouTube video, it’s super easy.  The only part that may be remotely tricky is the upper, and it’s easy enough to just order a complete upper.

It’s also cheaper to build.  When you buy a Complete gun there’s an 11% (ish, iirc) tax applied. That doesn’t apply to parts.  Plus you can pick and choose what you want.  Trigger, BCG and barrel are where you want to spend your money on the gun, and then the optic of course.

2 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

They've told me about police trade-in Glocks as well. Right now, price is a slight concern only due to job instability all over the country and we're doing a bathroom reno soon lol. I don't feel my wife or I will lose our job any time soon but hell, never know. Still, I know police trade-ins are much more expensive than the $300+ price tag the PS9 will have. I have been looking at Glocks as they are the favorite among my coworkers who I get all my gun info from.

Thanks for chiming in.

Good luck either way and always happy to help, but if there’s one bit of advice that’s probably cost me a few grand to acquire, it’s buy once cry once.  You’ll eventually buy what you want anyway and it’s cheaper to just do so initially.  Wait and save another month or whatever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Did that crap on your prospective purchase enough?

Pretty much, yep. Thanks for that, meanie.

I'll stick with the p320 as the handgun, but keeping my eye on the Glock...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Was thinking about buying a glock 43 or 43 x as a new carry gun, does anyone have one of either, and how do you like it

Shot one a bunch. Solid choice. I’ve had a glock 22 for almost 10 years. I feel like I could throw it off and building and it would still function.

just bought a walther ppq for my wife (what she wanted). Threaded barrel, custom trigger and spring. It’s still not as nice as the vp9 😉

4 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Shot one a bunch. Solid choice. I’ve had a glock 22 for almost 10 years. I feel like I could throw it off and building and it would still function.

just bought a walther ppq for my wife (what she wanted). Threaded barrel, custom trigger and spring. It’s still not as nice as the vp9 😉

I have a 23 and a 27, I carry a 22 for work, but I like the idea of the slimmer single stack 9 for a CC gun. I also have a shield 9 but just not a fan of the trigger in it, and like you said the glocks you could do anything to it and it would still cycle 

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

I have a 23 and a 27, I carry a 22 for work, but I like the idea of the slimmer single stack 9 for a CC gun. I also have a shield 9 but just not a fan of the trigger in it, and like you said the glocks you could do anything to it and it would still cycle 

It’s pretty nice for IWB.