The Gun Thread

fotballer

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

@LETSGOBROWNIES - you have a 1911, right? How do you like it?

Don't listen to him.  I have a Sig Sauer .45 and I'm very happy with it. 

1911r_scorpion.jpg

Wanted the Colt 1911, but the Sig Sauer 1911 was significantly cheaper.  Obviously not the best for concealed carry, so I’m gonna have to get something else for that once I get my permit, but very happy with my Sig Sauer 1911 for home defense.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I call a plumber to fix a leaky toilet and I can build them.  Watch a YouTube video, it’s super easy.  The only part that may be remotely tricky is the upper, and it’s easy enough to just order a complete upper.

It’s also cheaper to build.  When you buy a Complete gun there’s an 11% (ish, iirc) tax applied. That doesn’t apply to parts.  Plus you can pick and choose what you want.  Trigger, BCG and barrel are where you want to spend your money on the gun, and then the optic of course.

Good luck either way and always happy to help, but if there’s one bit of advice that’s probably cost me a few grand to acquire, it’s buy once cry once.  You’ll eventually buy what you want anyway and it’s cheaper to just do so initially.  Wait and save another month or whatever.

Yeah those guys always advise building and not buying. I'm sure I'm smart enough to build it on my own but I just don't see the point as of now until I learn more about the pieces and equipment. When I get more advanced, I am almost certain it's something I'll try. I have been searching for Glocks online since our discussion and found a lot of places are sold out. Luckily my part of Ohio is rather rural in many directions so finding a store that has a nice selection won't be difficult at all lol. 

Edited by JTagg7754
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I’m concerned about some of the characters here owning guns

I'm concerned about a lot of people who own guns.  Especially anyone who says "Guns aren't dangerous, people are."

It's like, bro.  Gun safety 101 is that guns are dangerous af.  That's kind of the point of having one.

Incidentally, I prefer a revolver for a home defense gun because, as far as guns can go, they're as safe and idiot proof as it can get.  Never any question about whether it can fire, or if the safety is on, or any of that.  If it's cocked, it's ready.  If it's not, you can throw it up in the air and let it hit the ground without worrying if it will go off (but don't do that).  And, they make a nice, distinct sound when you do **** them that any home intruder will not mistake for anything else.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk myself.

39 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm concerned about a lot of people who own guns.  Especially anyone who says "Guns aren't dangerous, people are."

It's like, bro.  Gun safety 101 is that guns are dangerous af.  That's kind of the point of having one.

Incidentally, I prefer a revolver for a home defense gun because, as far as guns can go, they're as safe and idiot proof as it can get.  Never any question about whether it can fire, or if the safety is on, or any of that.  If it's cocked, it's ready.  If it's not, you can throw it up in the air and let it hit the ground without worrying if it will go off (but don't do that).  And, they make a nice, distinct sound when you do **** them that any home intruder will not mistake for anything else.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk myself.

You can throw a glock up (and most other modern semi-auto pistols) in the air and let them hit the ground and they won’t fire due to a firing pin block or “drop safety”.

6 hours ago, pnies20 said:

You can throw a glock up (and most other modern semi-auto pistols) in the air and let them hit the ground and they won’t fire due to a firing pin block or “drop safety”.

Yeah, and in my experience most modern semiautos are just as reliable if not more so than a revolver.  

Sure they can’t jam, but they can having timing issues.  My old Smith was out of time in under 2k rounds.

Add to that the heavy DA trigger paired with many magnum loads and the infrequency that most gun owners shoot and they’re a terrible option for most people imo.

Great for a range toy or hunting with the larger calibers, but for a self defense firearm, there are simply better options imo.

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Don't listen to him.  I have a Sig Sauer .45 and I'm very happy with it. 

1911r_scorpion.jpg

Wanted the Colt 1911, but the Sig Sauer 1911 was significantly cheaper.  Obviously not the best for concealed carry, so I’m gonna have to get something else for that once I get my permit, but very happy with my Sig Sauer 1911 for home defense.

C’mon, do it, you know you want to.

Reference “TwO wOrLD WArS” like the other boomers. 😂 

11 hours ago, pnies20 said:

Shot one a bunch. Solid choice. I’ve had a glock 22 for almost 10 years. I feel like I could throw it off and building and it would still function.

just bought a walther ppq for my wife (what she wanted). Threaded barrel, custom trigger and spring. It’s still not as nice as the vp9 😉

The PPQ is one gun I don’t have any experience with, but just dry firing them at the store, it’s got a nice trigger.

I had a VP9 for a while, maybe ran 1k rounds through it and sold it as it didn’t blow my socks off.  Good gun undoubtedly, one of two or three I would consider running if I wasn’t a Glock honk.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

C’mon, do it, you know you want to.

Reference “TwO wOrLD WArS” like the other boomers. 😂 

A .45 caliber 1911 is the first gun I ever shot.  They’re the only ones that feel right to me.  

17 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Yeah those guys always advise building and not buying. I'm sure I'm smart enough to build it on my own but I just don't see the point as of now until I learn more about the pieces and equipment. When I get more advanced, I am almost certain it's something I'll try. I have been searching for Glocks online since our discussion and found a lot of places are sold out. Luckily my part of Ohio is rather rural in many directions so finding a store that has a nice selection won't be difficult at all lol. 

I feel like taking it apart and putting it back together and understanding how it all works, is like 90% of my interest in having a gun.  Other than that, i couldn't care less.  But they're fascinating pieces of machinery, and artifacts of history.  That makes them kinda cool and intriguing.  But also...not nearly interesting enough to bother with all the stuff that comes with a restricted weapon permit in Canada.  So if i ever actually buy myself a gun, it'll be a big ol' bolt action rifle.  Which seems more interesting anyway.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I feel like taking it apart and putting it back together and understanding how it all works, is like 90% of my interest in having a gun.  Other than that, i couldn't care less.  But they're fascinating pieces of machinery, and artifacts of history.  That makes them kinda cool and intriguing.  But also...not nearly interesting enough to bother with all the stuff that comes with a restricted weapon permit in Canada.  So if i ever actually buy myself a gun, it'll be a big ol' bolt action rifle.  Which seems more interesting anyway.

Oh I'm sure I'll eventually get there. I like taking things apart when I know they can be easily reconstructed and the amount of damage that can be done by taking them apart is minimal. I still need to pull the trigger on one first before I start thinking about taking it apart....... zing!!

I'll see myself out

• 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So who’s still shootin’?  😂 

I bought an automatic clay flinger for 40 bucks at a locals "Im moving and this craps gotta go" sale Ive been having fun with the past couple weeks.

And I won 2nd place in a Henry raffle back in June. Which nabbed me a Lever Action Henry 30-30. Only cost 2-20dollar tickets for it.

• Like 1