The Gun Thread

fotballer

Just now, acowboys62 said:

I really need to get into this stuff.  I for the first time am actually really nervous about some training I have coming up Monday/Tuesday as it is a combo of pistol/carbine work + field medical stuff and then it all ends with an active course drill situation.  Going to be exciting but being the first time I am combining all of these things at once, going to also be interesting. 

Enjoy man, than sounds awesome 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Good to know b/c I found a good price on that Canik. Never heard of it though until earlier today.

Money isn't an issue at all it's just me being frugal lol. My wife and I are DINKs but her spending habits need to be balanced out by my spending habits so I had to adjust mine over the years. Whenever I see anything close to the $500 range I always have to ask "is it really worth it"? lol. The joys of some people's marriages. 

I am the opposite, my budget have a very large "buffer" zone.  And because of that I basically have to be a saint because there is a lot of yelling afterwards. 

To echo what Brownies said though, buy once cry once.  It took me a while to learn this but I have for sure waster $$ when I first got started in this hobby.  Actually have sold 3 of my first 4 firearm purchases within the last 2 years and various other parts/optics/etc.  It is all about the feel of the gun in the hand, like Brownies also said, 9mm is not a strength thing, one of the trainers I went to a few months ago, she was half my size and shooting a full size 45 and was unreal how fast and accurate she was.  Me, strong like bull, all over the place.  

I was always about all metal frame guns, and I still love Beretta and Sig however for some reason I just can't shoot sigs well.  Obviously it is me and not the gun, but I struggle with them and if we weren't in such a crazy situation now I would have sold 2 of mine.  Beretta however, I can shoot great. I have since transitioned to polymer framed guns and I have always wanted a Glock because you hear nothing but great, reliable, easy maintenance things on them...once again for some reason they just feel awful in my hand.  I have been on a big CZ and Walther kick.  The CZ P10c, CZ P07 and Walther PPQ have been a lot of fun to shoot.  If I could carry I likely would carry the P10c or P07. When handguns are concerned, personally I own a few guns north of that $1,000 price, but I do not notice a single thing different from $400-$500 variants.  I am sure someone more skilled/technical could tell differences.  Carbines on the other hand I do and have noticed big differences. 

Edited by acowboys62
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, acowboys62 said:

The CZ P10c, CZ P07 and Walther PPQ have been a lot of fun to shoot. 

good call on those guns.

If I could carry I likely would carry the P10c or P07.

I forget not everyone can get a carry permit. Condolences 😂 

When handguns are concerned, personally I own a few guns north of that $1,000 price, but I do not notice a single thing different from $400-$500 variants.  I am sure someone more skilled/technical could tell differences.  Carbines on the other hand I do and have noticed big differences. 

Completely agree. I’ve owned some Dan Wessons and Colts and the like and they’re all gone.

I definitely agree with all of that though, optics, rifles, things like that you get what you pay for. Pistols?  Nah.  If and when you can outshot a stock Glock (or whatever polymer fun you like) maybe get a KKM barrel for a couple hundred. That said, I literally don’t know anyone personally who can do that, but they’re out there.  A quality polymer gun from a reputable manufacturer will outlast 99.9% of shooters.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 7:51 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d consider it if I ever start shooing precision rifle stuff or rounds that are always expensive like 44 mag, but I can’t see me actually getting that interested in either.  Rifles at distance maybe, but in Ohio 200 yard ranges are the standard for “long range”.  It’s not like being out west where you can go out to the desert and shoot 500+ whenever you want.  At 200-500 an AR is just fine for punching paper.

Born and raised in the country. No need for gun ranges. 500+ is easy to come by. 

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 10:01 AM, acowboys62 said:

Must be nice 😪

500 yards in any direction of me I got 4-5 houses in each directions and I don't even live in a "dense" area for NJ. 

Yeah it’s a luxury. My buddies father in law has targets set up at 50 yards all the way out to 500. We easily can go out to 1000 yards with an old growth forest as a back drop. 

As a side note we set up exploding targets as an incentive. We WERE called on by the sheriffs office a few times. He’d come out assess our safety practices and proceed to ask if he can have a few shots. The country is where it’s at 🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah it’s a luxury. My buddies father in law has targets set up at 50 yards all the way out to 500. We easily can go out to 1000 yards with an old growth forest as a back drop. 

As a side note we set up exploding targets as an incentive. We WERE called on by the sheriffs office a few times. He’d come out assess our safety practices and proceed to ask if he can have a few shots. The country is where it’s at 🙂

What are your shooting 500-1000?

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What are your shooting 500-1000?

I have a .270. But we don’t shoot that distance often, we keep from 200-500 yards. Time and again I’ll use my .270 which handles better than you think. But I have buddy (that may or may not have been trained with certain skills) that brings a .300 win mag for +500 yard shots. He’s really good out to those distances. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I have a .270. But we don’t shoot that distance often, we keep from 200-500 yards. Time and again I’ll use my .270 which handles better than you think. But I have buddy (that may or may not have been trained with certain skills) that brings a .300 win mag for +500 yard shots. He’s really good out to those distances. 

.270?  Nice Fudd gun gramps ;) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

.270?  Nice Fudd gun gramps ;) 

Watch it or I’ll send my buddy after you 😈

Actually I feel the .270 is Still one the best all around calibers. I can do pretty much anything with it. Although there are a few new ones out there I’d like to try. Unfortunately money has been tight this year. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 10:25 PM, Bonanza23 said:

Absolutely awesome.  

Had my dual training class Monday & Tuesday and I cannot be any happier with the training, skills, confidence learned during the sessions.  Packing a pistol/rifle & tactical medical class into 2 days is a lot and realistically you need 4-5 days, but the instructors were absolutely amazing (unsure on forum rules here so if I need to take down their names I will) but the class was with Gamut Resolutions & D-Dey Response Group.  Two amazing dudes with an encyclopedia of real first hand experience and knowledge.  I have taken other NRA range safety type classes and those are absolutely essential and great but this class takes it to a whole new level with what actually works in a gun fight and then what actually works in combat medical. Not until recently did I even own medical type stuff but have recently changed my tune on that and realized if you own things that can put holes in people you should also know how to plug holes in people.  I went in with very limited knowledge on that stuff and left with a lot of confidence.  Now on me to continue said training while solo or with other (or the same) professionals, but I would highly recommend a class like that to anyone who is interested in guns. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

Had my dual training class Monday & Tuesday and I cannot be any happier with the training, skills, confidence learned during the sessions.  Packing a pistol/rifle & tactical medical class into 2 days is a lot and realistically you need 4-5 days, but the instructors were absolutely amazing (unsure on forum rules here so if I need to take down their names I will) but the class was with Gamut Resolutions & D-Dey Response Group.  Two amazing dudes with an encyclopedia of real first hand experience and knowledge.  I have taken other NRA range safety type classes and those are absolutely essential and great but this class takes it to a whole new level with what actually works in a gun fight and then what actually works in combat medical. Not until recently did I even own medical type stuff but have recently changed my tune on that and realized if you own things that can put holes in people you should also know how to plug holes in people.  I went in with very limited knowledge on that stuff and left with a lot of confidence.  Now on me to continue said training while solo or with other (or the same) professionals, but I would highly recommend a class like that to anyone who is interested in guns. 

I’ve heard great things about gamut, and his operational pedigree is phenomenal too

4 minutes ago, hburn said:

I’ve heard great things about gamut, and his operational pedigree is phenomenal too

We got lucky in that it was a 10 person class with 3 no shows so we had extra time with each instructor, I have seen videos/read on him.  Unbelievable how approachable he was during the sessions. I have been to trainers that are "this is the way and the only way" whereas Bob only had 2-3 things that were "his way only" and they were basic things that make complete sense.  Everything else was more about him showing us how he was taught it vs what actually worked in real gun fights and so much of it is "what works for you" while focusing on fundamentals.  No jamming a square peg in a round hole.  I probably learned more in these two days than probably my past 10 years of shooting.