The Gun Thread

fotballer

3 hours ago, Dan_Bali said:

This seems like a sensible pursuit in a controlled environment etc.

With this in mind, do you need automatic weapons to go target shooting or hunting?  Where might an AR-15 with a bump fire stock come in useful?

Please stop.

You didn't come in here to talk guns, you came here to tell us your unsolicited option of gun control.

You're not changing our minds and we're not changing yours.  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Please stop.

You didn't come in here to talk guns, you came here to tell us your unsolicited option of gun control.

You're not changing our minds and we're not changing yours.  

I genuinely didn't.  And I don't wanna discuss politics, NRA, shootings etc as per the house rules.

I am just curious as to what the enjoyment is from firing lots of bullets very quickly.  I understand the enjoyment in reading, golf, football etc.  

Can you not see how it could appear a strange pursuit?  Maybe I'm wrong?  Maybe I'm missing out on something?  Hence the inquiry

7 minutes ago, Dan_Bali said:

Can you not see how it could appear a strange pursuit?  Maybe I'm wrong?  Maybe I'm missing out on something?  Hence the inquiry

I personally don’t.

I grew up around guns, kids had them in their racks in the back of their trucks in HS. My grandpa bought me my own Pardner Youth Model Single Shot 20gauge when I completed hunters saftey in 6th grade and a Ruger 10/22 when I turned 14.

Been around guns my whole life, but if you’re someone who didn’t grow up around them and your only experience with gun people is on TV, movies or the News then I can definitely see how it would look weird.

I don’t see going up to the range to blow up some clays or shred some cardboard targets as a whole lot different than hitting the batting cages or golfing the back 9 after work.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

1- Also, not to get nitpicky, but why do you specifically refer to an ar-15?  

2- Lastly, have you ever shot a gun before?  I'd highly encourage you to try it and have an open mind about it.

1- Mainly because I hear that gun mentioned in the news a lot.  Other than an AK-47, M16 etc..  I don't really know anything about guns.  Though I'm sure I would recognise a few from playing call of duty :)

2- Not really.  I've done some target shooting when I was younger, but that was with rifles that basically fire small metal pellets.  I never went clay pigeon shooting unfortunately, so maybe it's something I will try in the future.  

I currently live in South East Asia.  In Vietnam, Cambodia etc you can arrange to fire AK-47s or RPGs.  I will look into doing it, possibly next year.

5 hours ago, Jetfan66 said:

Going upstate NY next weekend with a bunch of friends for a mans weekend. Bringing a 30-30, 7.62x54, 12 gauge, 22, 223 and mosin. Just going to be a lot of beers, a lot of meats and some shooting of ridiculous items.

Sounds like a blast. Be safe.

My brother used to have an ATF party every year where people showed up, got smashed, chain smoked, and shot up the hillside all night. 

2 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I shot a .22 last night for the first time, both rifle and pistol.  Gotta say, I hated it.  I get that they’re real cheap rounds, but I felt like I was shooting an airsoft gun.  I like a little more *umph* when shooting I guess.

.22 is meant for training. 

I'm really interested in guns.  They're like cool machines and stuff.  I dig that a lot.  They're just interesting.  I'm not a gun-owner though.  It's just such an expensive hobby, just never seems worth it for me.

I've shot a bunch of different guns at different times and it's fun and it's such a visceral experience i'm into it.  But it seems like so much to spend on such a short amount of fun.  It's a very short-lived high.  Never really made sense to me.  Way too many other things that just make me way happier for way longer.  Like...a Bottle of Whiskey.  A car i spend way too much time+money on.  etc.

One day, i'll probs invest in A Gun.  It's more complicated in Canada obvs.  I figure one day if i feel like i've got money to burn, i'll invest in something really classic.  I'd say a 1911 because i really dig the simplicity and effectiveness and it seems like it'd be a fun thing to learn to control, but pistols in Canada seem like the most enormous pain in the ***.

So i figure i'll eventually just end up with a Remington 700 of some sort, and just plink at some targets with that.  Kinda torn between eventually buying a super plinky caliber, or just getting myself a .308 and learning to do real shooting in the deep end.  Probably depends on what side of the country i'm on when i do eventually dive into the gun owner person thing.

21 hours ago, CBears019 said:

I shot a .22 last night for the first time, both rifle and pistol.  Gotta say, I hated it.  I get that they’re real cheap rounds, but I felt like I was shooting an airsoft gun.  I like a little more *umph* when shooting I guess.

.22 is barely a gun.

I love my 10/22 and have put thousands and thousands of rounds through it, don’t get me wrong.

But it’s like a suped-up pellet rifle lol.

My short-barrel  20 gauge kicks like a mule,  it’s very fun to shoot.

The trade for the Guardian was completed today and I couldn't be happier.

The 9mm alloy framed, commander length 1911 is thing all gun guys should be hip to and this is a great example.

Put 120 rounds down range today (50 ball, 50 crappy jhp, 20 HST's) and it didn't skip a beat.  Previous owner said he shot 200 rounds, but it was still absurdly tight and hard to breakdown after I shot it.  Bank vault tight and actually light on the hip (carried it to the grocery store after the range).

10/10, two thumbs up.

Obligatory pic from the Googles.

bbebeb87cc8e9aa7835dc634a351444d--carvin 

• Like 2

Like what happened over in Sutherland Springs Texas and in Vegas, it seems all talk and no action. If there is no action, it will happen over and over and over again. Innocent lives in particular the young losing their lives over senseless and tragic violence.

3 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Like what happened over in Sutherland Springs Texas and in Vegas, it seems all talk and no action. If there is no action, it will happen over and over and over again. Innocent lives in particular the young losing their lives over senseless and tragic violence.

Might wanna check the rules. Wrong thread, hell, wrong website for this comment.

Everybody just ignore this and don’t get pulled into a political discussion.I like reading this thread and don’t wanna see it locked up.

• Like 2

Just now, cddolphin said:

Why do people say this, the statistics I've seen all have mortality rates with the .22 virtually the same as other larger rounds.

Not when you're hunting, that's why it's outlawed so many places.

I also mean it's barely a gun in terms of shooting it. It feels like a pellet rifle. If you included any context with that quote of mine you would've seen that. ;)

I wasn't talking about terms of mortality rate in what I'm assuming are homicides (link to that claim btw? I'm interested in the study) because... well, frankly I couldn't give two craps about that.