Top 5 defensive players of all time

Chargers

7 minutes ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Yeah but you put Junior Seau in the top 5 so you might as well have kept JJ Watt in there

Why wouldn't someone put Seau on there? He was fairly elite for the Chargers.

57 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Why wouldn't someone put Seau on there? He was fairly elite for the Chargers.

How does "fairly elite" make you one of the best defensive players at all positions? Maybe you could put him at top 5 linebacker all-time, which even then is iffy, but he's absolutely not one of the top 5 defensive players of all time

14 minutes ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

How does "fairly elite" make you one of the best defensive players at all positions? Maybe you could put him at top 5 linebacker all-time, which even then is iffy, but he's absolutely not one of the top 5 defensive players of all time

It was a toss up between Seau and Lott, but I went with Seau because at his peak he was a do-everything guy - could rush the passer, could play the run better than anyone, cover RB/TEs - he was an LB you never had to take off the field. 

I don't doubt that Lott is absolutely deserving of a spot, and would not discount putting him at that spot.

Th Giant's LT 56 would be Defensive guy. The thing is though with this topic how can you compare, say S Barkley with running backs that played 2 or 4 less games per year? A player's stats should be divided by the number games play for said seasons. 

Man....this is really hard

LT -Revolutionized edge rushing

Deacon Jones-  An unstoppable force at DE

Deion Sanders - Shutdown corner

Joe Greene- Heart of that great Steelers D.  You could easily justify a couple of the others from that team here.

Reggie White- Best DE in the league against both run and pass, elite level for 13 years

Lots of guys who are really close.  Ray Lewis is probably the big one I could go either way for, not sure who I'd remove. If JJ Watt continues to have allpro production for a few more years, he might be able to knock someone out?  It seems harder to justify putting good safeties on this list like Lott, Reed, Polamalu, Dawkins, just because guys on the front line have such an immediate and visible impact, even though I couldn't strongly disagree with people who put them on their lists. 

Gotta look at impact and clutch performance.

Obviously Ronnie Lott starts the list but it gets hard after that.

You have seriously stacked defenses which can elevate numbers and impact by players. Then you have problems with measurables like sacks and pass deflections. I'm inclined to put Mike Singletery for being the anchor of the Bears D above all others with 6 first teams but his stats don't give you much because of his position and no PDs counted.

Ray Lewis and Reggie White for their longevity.

But for modern times, I go with Ed Reed. His impact is undeniable and statistically he's ridiculous. He lead the league in INTs at 9, 9, 8 but also had seasons of 7, 7, 5, 5. With 9 defensive TDs. Then the playoff legacy. In just 15 games he intercepted 9 passes with a fumble recovery to boot.

So that leaves 3 spots, I'm looking at Super Bowl era and putting in Alan Paige, Lawrence Taylor and Mel Blount but it's real tough keeping off Reggie White, Ray Lewis and Derrick Brooks.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:28 AM, ET80 said:

LT

Reggie White

Ronnie Lott

Ray Lewis

Junior Seau

(Took a lot from me to keep JJ Watt off the list. I hope you appreciate my discipline).

You know what. Aaron Donald is already on this list. And he'll most likely win DPOY next year as well with a full off season. 

Archived