Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Humble_Beast

Tom Cable???

Recommended Posts

I’ve been saying for months that cable is safe. He’s been dealing with injuries and rookies all season long which is why Gruden canned Tom Shaw. Cable is here at least another year. He’s well liked in the organization for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Came across this tweet in my timeline.

Carr isn't on this list he was sacked a career high 51 times this year.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Came across this tweet in my timeline.

Carr isn't on this list he was sacked a career high 51 times this year.

 

Not saying Carr has good protection because I know that is not true but there are a lot of sacks where Carr could have stepped or left the pocket but he tucks the ball away and curls up in a ball.  His movement in the pocket is bad and he needs to get out and run more.  He ranked 35 in rushing yards for QBs but third in sacks.  That should tell you something.  He barely beat Flacco and Brady.  Carr is 100 times the athlete then those two.  They know he is not going to take off so they just come after him.  Our punter on 1 carry almost had more yards.  There are 11 QBs that have more attempts then he has yards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Not saying Carr has good protection because I know that is not true but there are a lot of sacks where Carr could have stepped or left the pocket but he tucks the ball away and curls up in a ball.  His movement in the pocket is bad and he needs to get out and run more.  He ranked 35 in rushing yards for QBs but third in sacks.  That should tell you something.  He barely beat Flacco and Brady.  Carr is 100 times the athlete then those two.  They know he is not going to take off so they just come after him.  Our punter on 1 carry almost had more yards.  There are 11 QBs that have more attempts then he has yards.

I agree there are some sacks that he could have tried to avoid more and I also know that there are times he drops back, free rushers are coming at him from 2 sides or are right in his face and he does the smart and eats the sack. It's sucks that he doesn't run like Russ W but what sucks more is when he does and gets hurt or fumbles(stripped). He is the franchise and if he goes down we might as well start looking at the draft. It would be different if it hadn't happened multiple times.

It's a double edged sword but with the situation that we are in now, the best path to success is for him to not do something dumb and get blasted. The offense calls for him to make quick reads and throws. That is his strength and how he beats defenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

I agree there are some sacks that he could have tried to avoid more and I also know that there are times he drops back, free rushers are coming at him from 2 sides or are right in his face and he does the smart and eats the sack. It's sucks that he doesn't run like Russ W but what sucks more is when he does and gets hurt or fumbles(stripped). He is the franchise and if he goes down we might as well start looking at the draft. It would be different if it hadn't happened multiple times.

It's a double edged sword but with the situation that we are in now, the best path to success is for him to not do something dumb and get blasted. The offense calls for him to make quick reads and throws. That is his strength and how he beats defenses.

He has been hurt once while staying in the pocket and once while scrambling.  He does not like contact and probably has a low pain threshold relative to your average football player.  Falling to the ground when you are going to take a big shot is smart but I have seen him do it when there was a linemen between him and the defender.  I want to go back through the games this past year and see how many times he had to be tackled.  How many times did he fight to make a play when he was sacked?  I would also like to know how they came up with those numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He has been hurt once while staying in the pocket and once while scrambling.  He does not like contact and probably has a low pain threshold relative to your average football player.  Falling to the ground when you are going to take a big shot is smart but I have seen him do it when there was a linemen between him and the defender.  I want to go back through the games this past year and see how many times he had to be tackled.  How many times did he fight to make a play when he was sacked?  I would also like to know how they came up with those numbers.

I should have clarified that I didn't mean just injuries that cause him to miss games. He has been hurt more than once scrambling and also in the pocket. He has only missed 2 games with those injuries. He played more than half a year with a broken back and his pain tolerance is still brought into question. Just asinine. He has dealt with back, leg, hand and shoulder injuries and that is off the top of my head. Might have missed one or two. Still always has a positive attitude, is ride or die and rallies his guys.

But I have to admit that I do see times where he goes down without being forced down. We don't know if it's the fear of getting hit/hurt from the blindside,  the wish to avoid turnovers i.e. coach telling him to live to play another down or something else we don't know or couldn't know about or a combo. Just leaves fans wanting alittle more. I get it. I just don't know if it's him working within his limitations physical or mental or what. Probably won't ever know. A cut up of every sack this year would be interesting to watch like you said. Where are Ted Nguyen or u/GipsySafety when you need them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post Night Train Lane, the guy played half a dozen games at least with a broken bone or bones in his back and some people want to question his toughness? I guess these may be guys who've never actually been hit in the ribs by a 260lb man. Saying that, I do wish Carr would occasionally look to extend plays - we've all seen him do it in the 2016 season and the 2017 comeback win against the Chiefs, he also had a great play this year (though I forget the game) where he escapes between two would be sackers and throws a laser into the end zone for a beautiful TD.

I'd question the stats above even though they bolster my point of view that Carr is our undisputed Franchise QB, he did seem to just walk into a lot of sacks this year - again we really don't know what the coaches are telling him, maybe they see him as the face of the franchise now Mack has gone and really want him healthy and play to that........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Great post Night Train Lane, the guy played half a dozen games at least with a broken bone or bones in his back and some people want to question his toughness? I guess these may be guys who've never actually been hit in the ribs by a 260lb man. Saying that, I do wish Carr would occasionally look to extend plays - we've all seen him do it in the 2016 season and the 2017 comeback win against the Chiefs, he also had a great play this year (though I forget the game) where he escapes between two would be sackers and throws a laser into the end zone for a beautiful TD.

I'd question the stats above even though they bolster my point of view that Carr is our undisputed Franchise QB, he did seem to just walk into a lot of sacks this year - again we really don't know what the coaches are telling him, maybe they see him as the face of the franchise now Mack has gone and really want him healthy and play to that........

Both you and NTL make good points and I have said it before that maybe Gruden is telling him to just make the correct read on the play rather than taking into consideration the situation within the game but we have all seen him make decisions that do not make sense.  It is 4th down and the game on the line and he throws it away or runs out of bounds instead of taking the contact to pick up the 1st down. Maybe they just decided this is a throw away season and we just want to see progression from a mental aspect with Gruden's offense.  The lack of situational awareness Carr has shown would probably have made BB's head explode.

 

When Carr was injured I understand laying down to avoid contact at all costs.  He still does it to much for my taste.  He has run very little his entire career but it has gotten worse since the injury.  To put things into perspective Carr and Trubisky are very similar size and athletically but Trubisky has more rush yards this year then Carr has in his 5 year career.  Carr is a great athlete but refuses to show it.  If he ran more it is one more it would also help open things up for the rest of the offense.  Do not understand this has never been used.  If you were a coach that had a well built QB with 4.7 speed, an offense based upon quick throws, and 2 rookie tackles starting would you not have some designed QB runs or tell the QB to take off quicker to slow down the pass rush and keep the defense on their heels.  Is this Carr saying he does not want to the coaching staff or a combination?  I know Gannon use to run a lot but also took 49 sacks his first year here.  No way of telling but just something to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Both you and NTL make good points and I have said it before that maybe Gruden is telling him to just make the correct read on the play rather than taking into consideration the situation within the game but we have all seen him make decisions that do not make sense.  It is 4th down and the game on the line and he throws it away or runs out of bounds instead of taking the contact to pick up the 1st down. Maybe they just decided this is a throw away season and we just want to see progression from a mental aspect with Gruden's offense.  The lack of situational awareness Carr has shown would probably have made BB's head explode.

 

When Carr was injured I understand laying down to avoid contact at all costs.  He still does it to much for my taste.  He has run very little his entire career but it has gotten worse since the injury.  To put things into perspective Carr and Trubisky are very similar size and athletically but Trubisky has more rush yards this year then Carr has in his 5 year career.  Carr is a great athlete but refuses to show it.  If he ran more it is one more it would also help open things up for the rest of the offense.  Do not understand this has never been used.  If you were a coach that had a well built QB with 4.7 speed, an offense based upon quick throws, and 2 rookie tackles starting would you not have some designed QB runs or tell the QB to take off quicker to slow down the pass rush and keep the defense on their heels.  Is this Carr saying he does not want to the coaching staff or a combination?  I know Gannon use to run a lot but also took 49 sacks his first year here.  No way of telling but just something to think about.

You can accused him of not having situational awareness if you don't know the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

You can accused him of not having situational awareness if you don't know the situation.

BB's head would only explode if Carr was his QB and did the same thing.  I believe BB would have benched Carr the first time he threw the ball away on 4th down.  At least throw it up and give your guys a shot and put it deep enough that it is like a punt.  If you have nobody running a deep route then that was bad coaching assuming the opportunity for a deep route is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

BB's head would only explode if Carr was his QB and did the same thing.  I believe BB would have benched Carr the first time he threw the ball away on 4th down.  At least throw it up and give your guys a shot and put it deep enough that it is like a punt.  If you have nobody running a deep route then that was bad coaching assuming the opportunity for a deep route is there.

How many times has this happened...because I don't remember it well?

Maybe once or twice. I'm positive that every starter in the league has done the same. I'm not saying that Carr doesn't have things that frustrate me but come on man. We get it. We all want more from Carr in some areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a case of watching every snap of our QB vs. only seeing highlights of others through out the league.

Every QB has these plays.  No one talks about the absolute bonehead plays that Mahomes has, because of all the success.

Did you guys watch any Aaron Rodgers this year?  Absolutely atrocious some times.  Arguably the best in the game and he had a trash year.

Winning cures all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Both you and NTL make good points and I have said it before that maybe Gruden is telling him to just make the correct read on the play rather than taking into consideration the situation within the game but we have all seen him make decisions that do not make sense.  It is 4th down and the game on the line and he throws it away or runs out of bounds instead of taking the contact to pick up the 1st down. Maybe they just decided this is a throw away season and we just want to see progression from a mental aspect with Gruden's offense.  The lack of situational awareness Carr has shown would probably have made BB's head explode.

 

When Carr was injured I understand laying down to avoid contact at all costs.  He still does it to much for my taste.  He has run very little his entire career but it has gotten worse since the injury.  To put things into perspective Carr and Trubisky are very similar size and athletically but Trubisky has more rush yards this year then Carr has in his 5 year career.  Carr is a great athlete but refuses to show it.  If he ran more it is one more it would also help open things up for the rest of the offense.  Do not understand this has never been used.  If you were a coach that had a well built QB with 4.7 speed, an offense based upon quick throws, and 2 rookie tackles starting would you not have some designed QB runs or tell the QB to take off quicker to slow down the pass rush and keep the defense on their heels.  Is this Carr saying he does not want to the coaching staff or a combination?  I know Gannon use to run a lot but also took 49 sacks his first year here.  No way of telling but just something to think about.

 

I agree with a lot of this aswell drfrey, Carr is a good athlete for a QB and I too would like to see him use his athleticism more. It could be the kind of 'catch you by surprise' weapon to have in our arsenal and he definitely has the ability to extend plays and play a little back yard football but he's only ever done it sporadically at most. Maybe the terrible start on and off the field this season and the injuries last have sapped his confidence that much? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

 

I agree with a lot of this aswell drfrey, Carr is a good athlete for a QB and I too would like to see him use his athleticism more. It could be the kind of 'catch you by surprise' weapon to have in our arsenal and he definitely has the ability to extend plays and play a little back yard football but he's only ever done it sporadically at most. Maybe the terrible start on and off the field this season and the injuries last have sapped his confidence that much? 

Let me start of by saying to you, NTL, and everyone else on this board.  Carr is my QB every week he is wearing the silver and black.  I do not root against him and want nothing but the best for him.  I am just pointing out certain issues that have not been fixed in his 5th year as a starting QB and is currently the sixth highest paid player in the league.  Combined with what happened to his brother I am starting to lean towards him not being what we need to succeed at the QB position.  We have no other options right now so we stick with what we have but if he can not change or this pattern continues we need to go in a different direction.  A top ten paid player needs to be able to put a team on his back and carry it.  If not he is holding the team back because he is eating up to much cap.  With that said there are reasons to give him more time including new system and not enough talent but I am sick of other QBs making plays with defenders all over them while mine lays down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×