Tom Cable???

Humble_Beast

25 minutes ago, BigD1123 said:

A friend and I had a convo the other day. First off about Cable. I don't know if he is just stubborn or what but he seems at every stop to be adamant about zbs or at least zbs based. Regardless of the strength of his players.

https://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/17/raiders-cable-on-zone-man-blocking-youd-like-to-have-a-good-mix/

“When I was in Atlanta, we did something amazing there. It was like ninth all-time rushing total in the history of football. All we did was run a wide zone play. Then we come here [to Oakland], and they were last in rushing, and they went to a top-10 and stayed there. If you remember there was a lot of counters and powers and all of that. I think that’s the truth of it. You’d like to have a good mix,” Cable said

5 hours ago, BigD1123 said:

A friend and I had a convo the other day. First off about Cable. I don't know if he is just stubborn or what but he seems at every stop to be adamant about zbs or at least zbs based. Regardless of the strength of his players.

On Carr. The value is here this yr. The team is the Giants. If they offer a 19 and 20 first you almost have to do it. Not to mention for a QB ots most probably 2 first as well as other picks. Secondly. People say what QB? Eli...Eli would maybe be who we went after. He's a vet which Gruden likes. And he can be around 1 to 3 yrs as a stop gap.  But honestly if that offer was made you know we take it. And I feel certain Gruden tries to get Fitzmagic.

Would you do that trade if your the Giants? Feels like us trading for Palmer, not as bad but simularities (heavy compensation, decent but not top qb, for a team/roster that needs a lot more then a decent qb to become deep playoff material)

11 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

1st of all this thread is about Tom Cable

2nd trading Carr now would be foolish. @ me. I don't even care.

To come back to the topic: I'm not a fan of Cable, but i also think the position of o-line coach is overrated. I think our oline play regressing had more to do with the combination of the blocking scheme, playcalls,  injuries and overall lack of talent on offense (no wr getting open or no rb making a defender miss etc) then Cable being awfull. 

Cant blame Cable that Gruden decided to bring in a zbs o-line coach even though thats not a good match. 

3 minutes ago, Roninho said:

To come back to the topic: I'm not a fan of Cable, but i also think the position of o-line coach is overrated. I think our oline play regressing had more to do with the combination of the blocking scheme, playcalls,  injuries and overall lack of talent on offense (no wr getting open or no rb making a defender miss etc) then Cable being awfull. 

Cant blame Cable that Gruden decided to bring in a zbs o-line coach even though thats not a good match. 

Honestly a lot of times wrs didn't have time to get open because carr was sacked or had to try to avoid lineman being pushed onto his lap.

15 hours ago, Dessie said:

Hypothetical....What kind of free agents could we pick up with no QB? We had players retiring through the season and looking to be traded because of the mess we were in after Mack, now without a QB and no home, how can we attract decent free agents? 

Money... that's all most free agents care about anyway. And my hypothetical said sign a guy like Tyrod Taylor as a stopgap. 

Look.... I'm not saying trade Carr with no plan. Just that if the compensation was worth it, I would do it. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Money... that's all most free agents care about anyway. And my hypothetical said sign a guy like Tyrod Taylor as a stopgap. 

Look.... I'm not saying trade Carr with no plan. Just that if the compensation was worth it, I would do it. 

Judging by the last two trades they’ve mostly been with no plan in mind. If the Raiders end up trading Carr, big if, it’ll be after the dust has settled in FA. Guys like joe Flacco are going to be on the market so teams might not want to trade a first for a guy they could get for less. 

if we were smart we would sign Charles Woodson is some sort of assistant GM role... similar to what the Lakers did with Magic Johnson... Woodson is well respected by the players, is the culture,  he can mentor, recruit free agents.... spokesman....Magic recruited Lebron, and made it cool to be a Laker again

12 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

if we were smart we would sign Charles Woodson is some sort of assistant GM role... similar to what the Lakers did with Magic Johnson... Woodson is well respected by the players, is the culture,  he can mentor, recruit free agents.... spokesman....Magic recruited Lebron, and made it cool to be a Laker again

That is not a bad idea and would follow Davis' trend of getting TV personalities.  His dad had a bunch of former players as coaches.  Maybe Davis could have a front office full of ex players.  I do not know if Woodson has drive to work in the front office.   Maybe with the move to Vegas.

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

giphy.gif

Don't know what worse.... this idea or the fact someone agreed with it. 

This isn't the NBA. Let's just leave it at that... Further, Woodson has interest outside of football and a good gig at ESPN.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not know if Woodson has drive to work in the front office.   Maybe with the move to Vegas.

lol... why the heck would he have the drive with a move to Vegas? Hiring a bunch of former players is dumb. Part of the problem Al Davis had. Too many yes men around him because he had former players on the payroll who didn't actually do anything. 

19 hours ago, Roninho said:

Would you do that trade if your the Giants? Feels like us trading for Palmer, not as bad but simularities (heavy compensation, decent but not top qb, for a team/roster that needs a lot more then a decent qb to become deep playoff material)

Depends. If the Giants think Carr is a franchise guy then you trade whatever picks it takes. If you don't then why trade at all?

On 1/5/2019 at 6:12 AM, Roninho said:

Depends on their view of him. He's still young and you might think you could plug him in with Barkely, OBJ and Engram and have something.

Archived