Lions let go of Jim Bob Cooter

Elky

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I'd rather have Daboll. He was awesome this year considering what he had. Catered that offense around Allen and had them playing well down the stretch. 

27 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Wish he were on the Patriots instead of Josh McDaniels.

Yeah i am actually quite pleased with what he did this year. Who he gets as his OL and how they handle free agency could make him a hot name in 2019.

21 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

All I know that Lions fans are rejoicing.  Must not have been doing that great a job.

Kind of how all teams view their OC if things aren't going well, no?

He was seen as a mastermind/up and coming HC after a few seasons and now he's trash.

Either way, I'd love the Jags to take a shot on him.

3 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

What, why?

Mostly boils down to him not knowing how to properly use the players at his disposal, his complete and utter failure to even assist with putting together a running game, his antiquated approach to calling and designing a passing game that should have been left behind about a decade ago, an inability to self-scout, an inability to identify and break from their own tendencies, an unwillingness to adapt and change to what has proven to work with certain players and player groupings, and a lack of creativity in playcalling that makes his offense so predictable based on down, distance, personnel, and game situation that opposing defenses have literally been calling out the Lions plays at the line of scrimmage on multiple occasions this season. So yeah, other than that he's a fine coach.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He was seen as a mastermind/up and coming HC after a few seasons

He never really deserved that though. He was riding the coattails of Adam Gase in Denver and then replaced Joe Lombardi here who, somehow, was even worse as an OC so it was hard to look anything other than good by comparison. He's trying to run the offense they had in Denver, the issue is that he wasn't responsible for that offense and doesn't actually know how to run it.  

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

He never really deserved that though. He was riding the coattails of Adam Gase in Denver and then replaced Joe Lombardi here who, somehow, was even worse as an OC so it was hard to look anything other than good by comparison. He's trying to run the offense they had in Denver, the issue is that he wasn't responsible for that offense and doesn't actually know how to run it.  

He was loved by most every Lions fan I know. He was talked up on the national scene to by getting the most out of Stafford and I saw plenty of Lions fans last year on social media worried what would happen to him if they didn't hire him for a coaching change.

This is just how it is for OC's in time. The offense has a down year/guys don't at up to snuff and then they're the worst thing ever. We went through that with Hackett this year after being thoroughly impressed last year with what he did with limited talent/Bortles at QB. This year Blake takes a step back, things don't look as good, and we run the guy out of town. This happens to everyone coordinator at some point in time. I don't expect any different here.

Just not going to act like he wouldn't be a good hire for a lot of teams around the league including my own, even if his time was up and you all probably needed a new face there. Both can be true.

He has been terrible when it comes to the run game.  The passing game has been ok, but you have to wonder how much is Stafford, how much is the fact that they HAVE to throw bc they or behind, or the run game is just not there.  We'll find out what the league opinion of him is, but this may be the next OC in Atlanta.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

He was loved by most every Lions fan I know. He was talked up on the national scene to by getting the most out of Stafford and I saw plenty of Lions fans last year on social media worried what would happen to him if they didn't hire him for a coaching change.

This should tell you that the vast majority of Lions fans don't know football beyond the surface level, not that Jim Bob Cooter was/is a legitimately good offensive coordinator. He needs to take a year off or go down to the college level to learn from there.

29 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

This should tell you that the vast majority of Lions fans don't know football beyond the surface level, not that Jim Bob Cooter was/is a legitimately good offensive coordinator. He needs to take a year off or go down to the college level to learn from there.

Yeah, I thought he gave the Lions a nice spark when they made the change from Lombardi in 2015, and even thought he could be an interesting candidate after the 2016 year, but two straight years he's completely failed to adapt to the situations in front of him. He doesn't really have it.

But when people are "thoroughly impressed" with the inconsistencies of Nate Hackett's 2017 campaign, I guess I can see how Cooter looks like a fantastic mind.

25 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yeah, I thought he gave the Lions a nice spark when they made the change from Lombardi in 2015, and even thought he could be an interesting candidate after the 2016 year, but two straight years he's completely failed to adapt to the situations in front of him. He doesn't really have it.

But when people are "thoroughly impressed" with the inconsistencies of Nate Hackett's 2017 campaign, I guess I can see how Cooter looks like a fantastic mind.

Gil Brandt listed Hackett as a possible HC candiadte after this season earlier this year. This wasn't Jaguars fans.

Considering he had Bortles as his QB and Keelan Cole heading the corps last year with a 3.5 ypc Fournette, only so much you can do. Still had us in the top 10 as an overall offense when you take away the defensive touchdowns.

23 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Gil Brandt listed Hackett as a possible HC candiadte after this season earlier this year. This wasn't Jaguars fans.

Considering he had Bortles as his QB and Keelan Cole heading the corps last year with a 3.5 ypc Fournette, only so much you can do. Still had us in the top 10 as an overall offense when you take away the defensive touchdowns.

Gil Brandt has known Hackett since Nate was 8 years old, and has been calling him a future Head Coach for 5 years, dating back before Hackett ever even coached in the NFL. Solid, unbiased source there.

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

Gil Brandt has known Hackett since Nate was 8 years old, and has been calling him a future Head Coach for 5 years, dating back before Hackett ever even coached in the NFL. Solid, unbiased source there.

He wasn't the only one, just the only prominent one I recall.

But sure, expect me to know about a random *** Gil Brandt and Nathaniel Hackett connection. Keep on with your oddly hostile attitude bud.

Archived