GDT Birds at Bears Sun. 3:40

dll2000

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You think he pulled himself out of this game because of anxiety but had no problem playing in the biggest game of his career last year on a team with zero SB's against the almighty Patriots? Get out of here.

Anxiety doesn't discriminate man.  I don't know if you have ever experienced it but just because it doesn't happen in one instance on the biggest stage of all, doesn't mean that it can't or won't occur in another game of less magnitude.  It may be a little far fetched to think he missed this game because of anxiety but don't be ignorant to the possibility. 

25 minutes ago, dafreak said:

I have no idea if that's why he didn't play but it is plausible and makes more sense then him waking up with a pulled groin.

Agreed.  Mental conditions affect different people differently and at different times. It's a matter of degrees.

For me I can manage.  For some they can't even leave the house. 

48 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You think he pulled himself out of this game because of anxiety but had no problem playing in the biggest game of his career last year on a team with zero SB's against the almighty Patriots? Get out of here.

I know we disagree on a lot and while I'm not going to entirely think that Burton wimped out here, it is bizarre. Nagy, who is typically honest, seemed perplexed and speechless postgame when they asked him about the injury. Hoge, who is one of the most honest and quite frankly best writers the Bears have, called it one of the weirdest injuries he's covered. After Burton's comments on the Philly Special vs the Giants, it does give a lot of us room to wonder. Furthermore, his injury could have explained the Bears rough first half offensively. Maybe they installed a lot of plays this week for Burton and then they had to adjust 24 hours before. Maybe some of the guys thought Burton was full of **** and lost some confidence.

Again, I will never be a guy who questions a player's motives. The people who bashed Cutler in 2010 ought to be killed, but this is very odd.

Bears score a TD, Philly goes 6 plays and punts, Bears offense gets the ball with 7 minutes with a chance to go up 2 possessions and/or burn a ton of time off, they go 3 and out and punt, O'Donnell's punt is horrible, Bears D gives up a TD.

The final 7 minutes was absolutely ****ing brutal.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I know we disagree on a lot and while I'm not going to entirely think that Burton wimped out here, it is bizarre. Nagy, who is typically honest, seemed perplexed and speechless postgame when they asked him about the injury. Hoge, who is one of the most honest and quite frankly best writers the Bears have, called it one of the weirdest injuries he's covered. After Burton's comments on the Philly Special vs the Giants, it does give a lot of us room to wonder. Furthermore, his injury could have explained the Bears rough first half offensively. Maybe they installed a lot of plays this week for Burton and then they had to adjust 24 hours before. Maybe some of the guys thought Burton was full of **** and lost some confidence.

Again, I will never be a guy who questions a player's motives. The people who bashed Cutler in 2010 ought to be killed, but this is very odd.

This is a very good point actually.  Theoretically speaking, they could have had a big game plan in store for Burton and it's possible this could have given him anxiety since we know he's already admitted to not wanting to run the Chicago special play due to this very reason.   The timing of this injury is just very very odd considering it didn't come up at practice during the week.

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

This is a very good point actually.  Theoretically speaking, they could have had a big game plan in store for Burton and it's possible this could have given him anxiety since we know he's already admitted to not wanting to run the Chicago special play due to this very reason.   The timing of this injury is just very very odd considering it didn't come up at practice during the week.

I know all of the meatheads keep making jokes like "maybe he went out with Corey Crawford!! Was Rise Against in town?!?!?" but Burton is a true family man who's faith is really important to him. The odds he was out late Friday and injured himself is slim to none. Hell, in all of the IG videos he's never even hanging out with the other players. I suppose he could have aggravated it in practice, but he likely would have felt something then, even if it was small, and mentioned something to someone.

13 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Man get that garbage outta here. He was going up against one of the best o-lines in the league today and still managed to get pressure and hits on Foles while making big stops in the run game. 

It doesn't always come down to just sacks you know..?

Relax. I didn't say he was dogs*** yesterday but those games are why they traded for Mack. IIRC, he had 1 QB hit. Pressures only go so far. 4 pressures would be cool for Goldman or Nichols or Bullard, but for Hicks and Mack to knock Foles down ONE time isn't good enough. Period. (sorry for responding late, it was probably best that I put down my keyboard yesterday and went to bed)

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Relax. I didn't say he was dogs*** yesterday but those games are why they traded for Mack. IIRC, he had 1 QB hit. Pressures only go so far. 4 pressures would be cool for Goldman or Nichols or Bullard, but for Hicks and Mack to knock Foles down ONE time isn't good enough. Period. (sorry for responding late, it was probably best that I put down my keyboard yesterday and went to bed)

All good.  I'm just saying it goes beyond just sacks.  IMO making stops in the run game are just as important as getting sacks, and Mack did exactly that yesterday.  

Plus I read some crazy stat that the Eagles o-line has given up 0 sacks and just 3 pressures to Donald, JJ Watt and Mack in 3 of their past 4 games.  They are balling right now.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Anxiety doesn't discriminate man.  I don't know if you have ever experienced it but just because it doesn't happen in one instance on the biggest stage of all, doesn't mean that it can't or won't occur in another game of less magnitude.  It may be a little far fetched to think he missed this game because of anxiety but don't be ignorant to the possibility. 

I'm not being ignorant to anything. But i'm also not going to sit here and try to make a mountain out of a molehill regarding a single player with absolutely no basis to go off of either. And I damn sure am not going to sit here and get behind anything that even remotely suggest we cut him either.

I don't even care about this one bit. Especially not today. It changes nothing.

18 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

RT @danwiederer: The mystery of the Trey Burton injury is far from solved. This is one of the weirder scratches I've seen. The Bears haven't yet been able to fill in the gaps at all.

I think the anxiety theory is a good one.  If that was indeed the case, the guy needs to do what he needs to do to deal with that.  

He could very well have been difference in that close game.  Not just not having him, but it also screws up the practice week, what you worked on etc. 

In hindsight kinda hard to blame Parkey especially since ball was tipped.  Maybe he should have had it higher, i dont know.   I dont know that you eat that contract which seems to be consensus at moment.  Maybe you bring in competition instead and he comes back next year a new man. Maybe he is broken. 

I would have to rewatch game to see who, but in first half dline for eagles beat guys clean off line of scrimmage on several occassions. Just whiffs. I know i saw it happen to Long once.

I saw Fuller throw just his shoulder onto TE in open field on a key down in 2nd half allowing him to keep running.

They should have been good enough to beat Eagles, but they lacked offensive efficiency to win a title.  So in all likelihood we were going to be pissed at some point.  All but one team is going to be disappointed. 

I think its year for Rams or Saints.  I said Rams from day 1.  I think both teams are better than KC or NE. 

One kinda cool thing is Bears had a chance to win every single game this year. That never happens. 

Archived