GDT Birds at Bears Sun. 3:40

dll2000

Here is the quote from Burton on the philly special play. Makes you wonder:

“When they put it up on the board (in practice), I got crazy anxiety,” Burton said. “I was kind of freaking out a bit because a ton of unbelievable memories come back to mind from the Super Bowl. … I just remember going out and not really saying much, going out to practice and trying to do it. I just couldn’t. 

"Physically, there was some type of block, wasn't letting me do it. I told [Bears head coach Matt Nagy] 'Hey coach, I'm having crazy anxiety.' I couldn't sleep that night thinking about it.

"There were so many really good memories, but I'm not there anymore," he said. "I'm on a different team doing something different. I just didn't feel comfortable."

10 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Burton has anxiety issues, I do not think it is far fetched to think it would appear in this instance.

Neither do I.  It find it really bizarre that he just randomly woke up Saturday morning with a groin injury so bad that it prevented him from playing in this game.  When questioned on it, Nagy said it didn't pop up in practice this past week so you have to wonder what really happened here.  I'm not going to accuse Burton of faking an injury to avoid playing his former team but this reeks of a fishy situation.  

8 minutes ago, dafreak said:

Burton has anxiety issues, I do not think it is far fetched to think it would appear in this instance.

Considering

a) Millions of people have anxiety issues -- including other NFL players.

b) He did not say he had anxiety. He said he had anxiety about THAT particular play. If anything, he should be commended for self-awareness.

not sure why I'm even bothering with this at all. 

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Considering

b) He did not say he had anxiety. He said he had anxiety about THAT particular play. If anything, he should be commended for self-awareness.

No, you are wrong and he has spoken about his mental health/anxiety issues in the past. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/trey-burton-opens-past-struggles-anxiety-mental-health

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Considering

Crippling anxiety is not unheard of.  I sometimes procrastinate out of anxiety and get myself in trouble. Not a crazy theory. 

Just speculation at this point though.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Crippling anxiety is not unheard of.  I sometimes procrastinate out of anxiety and get myself in trouble. Not a crazy theory. 

Just speculation at this point though.  

But it in the end you still complete the task though, right? 

I just think this theory is ridiculous on all levels.

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Great. Again, so do millions of others.

What does it have to do with millions of others? Anxiety affects people in different ways, and I have experienced first hand. But if he was anxious to play in this game and pulled himself out then I think the Bears have a problem.

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

But it in the end you still complete the task though, right? 

I just think this theory is ridiculous on all levels.

My wife gets anxious about driving and can not drive at times. I followed her once, she got ahead of me a bit and I came up to her on the side of the road in tears. She could not go on. Don't diminish anxiety, it's not helpful to anyone.

1 minute ago, dafreak said:

What does it have to do with millions of others? Anxiety affects people in different ways, and I have experienced first hand. But if he was anxious to play in this game and pulled himself out then I think the Bears have a problem.

He very well could have been but I wouldn't say Bears have a problem.  This can happen to anyone at any time.

I like Burton but I don't think him playing yesterday would have made the difference in the end, but that's just me.

The Bears made way too many mistakes in all 3 phases to win a playoff game. It is not shocking considering they have not been here before, but they did not look sharp and focused enough to win a playoff game against an experienced team like the Eagles.

1.Mitch spraying the ball all over the field in the 1st half

2. The OL was bad in both the run and pass game

3. Miller drops the ball near the goal line

4. Robinson doesn't get his feet in bounds at the 10

5. Not using Cohen enough

6. Amos head shot penalty

7. 10 guys on the field for the Goeddert TD

8. Letting Foles complete multiple arm punts in the 1st half

9. 1 sack

10. O'Donnell shanking the most important punt of the game

11. Parkey missing the field goal

3 minutes ago, dafreak said:

You think he pulled himself out of this game because of anxiety but had no problem playing in the biggest game of his career last year on a team with zero SB's against the almighty Patriots? Get out of here.

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

You think he pulled himself out of this game because of anxiety but had no problem playing in the biggest game of his career last year on a team with zero SB's against the almighty Patriots? Get out of here.

I have no idea if that's why he didn't play but it is plausible and makes more sense then him waking up with a pulled groin.

Archived