Redskins Cap Situation

MKnight82

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/cap/2019/ 

The Redskins are currently projected to have $17.7ish mil cap space for 2019 according to spotrac.  That's based off of a projected $176.35 mil total cap for teams, which may be a little low, but I doubt it ends up more than $1-2 mil more than that.  

*That cap includes Scherff's 5th year option of $12.525 mil.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/ 

Over the cap shows the Redskins having $22.936 mil in cap space, but they're projecting a higher cap for teams.  

Either way both have Redskins sitting approximately 25th or 26th in the NFL in cap space. 

There are other issues with our cap situation.  Take a look at this article:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/2/18164980/nfl-playoffs-quarterbacks-salary-cap-kirk-cousins-patrick-mahomes 

First off, it argues that there is nothing more valuable in the NFL right now than a good starting QB on a rookie contract.  We went the complete opposite direction of that trend, and overpaid for a mediocre (at best) veteran QB.  Basically what the article says is a cap killer.  Then there's this:

"The only team to win the Super Bowl while having its two highest-paid players make more than 21.6 percent of the salary cap is the 49ers in 1994 with Steve Young and Jerry Rice. Teams that spread the money around usually benefit. The two highest-paid players on the Eagles’ Super Bowl–winning team last year combined for 11.6 percent of the cap. The New York Giants paid Eli Manning and Olivier Vernon 22 percent of the cap this season. Moore points out that the 2017 Falcons came close to winning the Super Bowl with Ryan and Julio Jones accounting for nearly 25 percent of the cap, but Atlanta had a heavy concentration of talented rookie defenders on cheap contracts. The Saints pay Brees and Cameron Jordan slightly over 21.6 percent, meaning they could follow the example set by the 1994 49ers. That, of course, is made possible by the fact Alvin Kamara, Michael Thomas, and Marshon Lattimore, among many others, are playing at superstar levels on rookie deals."

So we aren't over the 21.6 threshold for 2019, but we're close.  Alex Smith ($20.4 mil) + Trent Williams ($14.775 mil) = $35.175 mil divided by a $177 mil cap will give you 19.87%.  I would argue this is strong evidence we are overpaying both of these players.  

Then there is this:

https://overthecap.com/texture/ 

The Redskins in 2018 had 41% of their roster dedicated to players on rookie contracts.  That is the 5th highest in the NFL, behind only the Bengals, Colts, Broncos, and Packers.  

You could argue this as a good thing, we have a bunch of young guys on cheap rookie contracts currently on the roster.  And if we were competing for a Super Bowl this year or next, I'd agree with you.  But that isn't our timeline.  A lot of these guys will become expensive by the time we start competing, so I think we will have to expect a lot of roster turnover in the next 3-4 years in order to stay competitive.  Especially if we bring in a new front office.  

It’s time for the Redskins to admit where this franchise is at. We are not prepared to make any run. We most likely will not have enough cap to resign any of our players without cutting high cap (Norman, Smith, Reed, Brown, McGee etc.) players. On top of that, Free Agents are not chomping at the bit to come to DC and as we all know the “Dysfunction Tax” is real. Meaning we have to pay a premium for average players (see Paul Richardson). 

Our only hope is to release/trade the aforementioned high cap cost players for draft capital and hope we get it right.

It is time to tank. 

This year more than any. We need to keep any young promising players and get whatever value we can get out of the “aging” players that won’t be there when we try to make a run in 2-3 years.

I expect the exact opposite. Brown is probably gone, but they will probably try to resign all the underachievers that are about to be free agents, because they are familiar with our dysfunction and seem to “want” to be here. AP will probably want too much money and won’t be back. They will most likely try to resign Scherff. Jamison, Crowder and HaHa will probably be back. And we will get much more of the same next year. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

The Redskins are currently projected to have $17.7ish mil cap space for 2019 according to spotrac.  That's based off of a projected $176.35 mil total cap for teams, which may be a little low, but I doubt it ends up more than $1-2 mil more than that.  

Over the cap shows the Redskins having $22.936 mil in cap space, but they're projecting a higher cap for teams.  

Either way both have Redskins sitting approximately 25th or 26th in the NFL in cap space. 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/2/18164980/nfl-playoffs-quarterbacks-salary-cap-kirk-cousins-patrick-mahomes 

First off, it argues that there is nothing more valuable in the NFL right now than a good starting QB on a rookie contract.  We went the complete opposite direction of that trend, and overpaid for a mediocre (at best) veteran QB.  Basically what the article says is a cap killer.  Then there's this:

"The only team to win the Super Bowl while having its two highest-paid players make more than 21.6 percent of the salary cap is the 49ers in 1994 with Steve Young and Jerry Rice. Teams that spread the money around usually benefit. The two highest-paid players on the Eagles’ Super Bowl–winning team last year combined for 11.6 percent of the cap. The New York Giants paid Eli Manning and Olivier Vernon 22 percent of the cap this season. Moore points out that the 2017 Falcons came close to winning the Super Bowl with Ryan and Julio Jones accounting for nearly 25 percent of the cap, but Atlanta had a heavy concentration of talented rookie defenders on cheap contracts. The Saints pay Brees and Cameron Jordan slightly over 21.6 percent, meaning they could follow the example set by the 1994 49ers. That, of course, is made possible by the fact Alvin Kamara, Michael Thomas, and Marshon Lattimore, among many others, are playing at superstar levels on rookie deals."

So we aren't over the 21.6 threshold for 2019, but we're close.  Alex Smith ($20.4 mil) + Trent Williams ($14.775 mil) = $35.175 mil divided by a $177 mil cap will give you 19.87%.  I would argue this is strong evidence we are overpaying both of these players.  

Then there is this:

The Redskins in 2018 had 41% of their roster dedicated to players on rookie contracts.  That is the 5th highest in the NFL, behind only the Bengals, Colts, Broncos, and Packers.  

You could argue this as a good thing, we have a bunch of young guys on cheap rookie contracts currently on the roster.  And if we were competing for a Super Bowl this year or next, I'd agree with you.  But that isn't our timeline.  A lot of these guys will become expensive by the time we start competing, so I think we will have to expect a lot of roster turnover in the next 3-4 years in order to stay competitive.  Especially if we bring in a new front office.  

THIS ^^^ is why I keep saying we have a cap problem. Those running around talking about all this cap room ignore that we're going to be in the bottom quartile of cap space. The freakin' Colts have $118m in space in 2019. Quite a lot of teams are in the $60-80m range. Our ability to draw talent and keep talent (with the dysfunction tax in effect) will be very much in doubt with so little cap room

I'm with Slappy Mc

Next year is the perfect year for a tank job. Just a couple of random, some related, notes:

- Firing Bruce is the perfect football AND business move. Dan doesn't know football. But he knows business. Firing Bruce creates the HOPE that too many fans eat up. If he doesn't fire Bruce, I expect a lot of empty seats next year outside of regional match ups. In those cases, we'll see what we saw in our last home game.

- I tended to look at the Smith injury as a blessing in disguise. We would be forced to draft a QB this year. But now I think we need to wait one more year. We have too many holes to fill (same story different year). And we've routinely walked rookie QBs into spots where they're essentially set up to fail. The QB draft outlook isn't very good this year. But next year looks good. To get one of those top 2-3, you have to either tank or use draft picks to move up... been there done that.

- Trade whoever nets us compensatory picks. Stop using compensatory picks on JuJus... start using them on picks.

- The offensive line is my top priority. Other needs have been mentioned... ILB, S, CB (if Norman is moved), WR, TE. 

Why can't this team do things the right way? Quick fixes suck. 

21 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

It’s time for the Redskins to admit where this franchise is at. We are not prepared to make any run. We most likely will not have enough cap to resign any of our players without cutting high cap (Norman, Smith, Reed, Brown, McGee etc.) players. On top of that, Free Agents are not chomping at the bit to come to DC and as we all know the “Dysfunction Tax” is real. Meaning we have to pay a premium for average players (see Paul Richardson). 

Our only hope is to release/trade the aforementioned high cap cost players for draft capital and hope we get it right.

It is time to tank. 

This year more than any. We need to keep any young promising players and get whatever value we can get out of the “aging” players that won’t be there when we try to make a run in 2-3 years.

I expect the exact opposite. Brown is probably gone, but they will probably try to resign all the underachievers that are about to be free agents, because they are familiar with our dysfunction and seem to “want” to be here. AP will probably want too much money and won’t be back. They will most likely try to resign Scherff. Jamison, Crowder and HaHa will probably be back. And we will get much more of the same next year. 

Unfortunately, this team will never admit that they are a failure. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I'm with Slappy Mc

Next year is the perfect year for a tank job. Just a couple of random, some related, notes:

- Firing Bruce is the perfect football AND business move. Dan doesn't know football. But he knows business. Firing Bruce creates the HOPE that too many fans eat up. If he doesn't fire Bruce, I expect a lot of empty seats next year outside of regional match ups. In those cases, we'll see what we saw in our last home game.

- I tended to look at the Smith injury as a blessing in disguise. We would be forced to draft a QB this year. But now I think we need to wait one more year. We have too many holes to fill (same story different year). And we've routinely walked rookie QBs into spots where they're essentially set up to fail. The QB draft outlook isn't very good this year. But next year looks good. To get one of those top 2-3, you have to either tank or use draft picks to move up... been there done that.

- Trade whoever nets us compensatory picks. Stop using compensatory picks on JuJus... start using them on picks.

- The offensive line is my top priority. Other needs have been mentioned... ILB, S, CB (if Norman is moved), WR, TE. 

Wut? Dan Snyder knows how to FAIL at business. Every business venture he has had his hands on has failed. #FireBruceAllen is a thing, but something the Redskins refuse to address because they much think like the bolded. That Dan knows what he is doing. 

3 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I'm with Slappy Mc

With you on your plan. One quibble is that we would just be trading for picks. Compensatory picks only come after you lose a FA that is lured away in Free Agency.

TNA Impact Wrestling during their last negotiation with SpikeTV a few years ago, were told that they had one demand for a new contract- the firing of Vince Russo out of creative and out of the company.  In wrestling, Russo is the equivalent of Bruce Allen- not qualified to be there, riding coattails, taking credit for what other people do and come up with.  Infinitely more qualified people have been run off their job by Russo.  So Dixie Carter fires Russo, and they proceed on negotiating their contract with Spike.  

A couple months later, SpikeTV steps away.  Come to find out, Carter was still paying Russo under a different name to work from home and still direct creative and come up with storylines.  When that was leaked to Spike, they walked away, and TNA went from having 1 million viewers a week to looking for a new network and then struggling to break 300,000

So if Snyder really moves on from Allen, he better not have him waiting in the wings like Cerrato was.  

Ugh, this is ignoring the players we will/should cut this offseason and that the salary cap is slated to go up $10-15 million.

I made a thread before explaining this that the OP doesn't see anymore, his choosing, not mine.

The Redskins can and I’d argue should cut the following players and if they do, they’ll have $49 to 55 million in cap space:

1. Josh Norman, $8.5 M in cap savings

2. Zach Brown, $5.75 M

3. Vernon Davis, $5 M

4. Stacy McGee, $2.75 M

5. Mason Foster, $2 M

= $22 million in cap savings!

The OP does not have the 2019 salary cap projection correct either. We will have $10-15 million more in cap space than the OP is saying we will because surprise, surprise... He’s WRONG!

NFL salary cap for 2019 projected at $187M-$191.1M. The salary cap is once again going up. The NFL announced Tuesday that projections for the 2019 salary cap are in the range of $187 million to $191.1 million -- a decent increase over the 2018 cap of $177.2 million per club.Dec 11, 2018

On 1/2/2019 at 12:00 PM, MKnight82 said:

Then there is this:

tenor.gif?itemid=4547346

On 1/7/2019 at 8:19 PM, turtle28 said:

The Redskins can and I’d argue should cut the following players and if they do, they’ll have $49 to 55 million in cap space:

1. Josh Norman, $8.5 M in cap savings

2. Zach Brown, $5.75 M

3. Vernon Davis, $5 M

4. Stacy McGee, $2.75 M

5. Mason Foster, $2 M

= $22 million in cap savings!

And then they'd have to replace a starting CB, two starting inside linebackers, and a 1B starting option at TE.

So, a good chunk of that cap savings is going to be eaten up pretty quickly. Okay, sure maybe they roll with SDH at one of the starting spots. Still have three starters to replace.

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

And then they'd have to replace a starting CB, two starting inside linebackers, and a 1B starting option at TE.

So, a good chunk of that cap savings is going to be eaten up pretty quickly. Okay, sure maybe they roll with SDH at one of the starting spots. Still have three starters to replace.

science_psych.gif

17 minutes ago, Woz said:

If... IF we are doing what we should do and go with an actual YOUTH MOVEMENT and not signing a bunch of free agents, we don't need to sign a corner, ILB, S or OL.

If I was GM, I’d draft the BPA in each round - in a position we need - and re-sign our own FAs with that cap space:

• So, our starting CORNERS will be Dunny & Moreau, and a drafted rookie at some point competing with Stroman, Alexander and Danny Johnson.

• Starting ILBs are in house too. Also, we should draft one - preferably in the first 3 rounds. It wouldn’t bother me if the starting ILBs were:

Mike: Foster/Vigil

WILB: SDH/JHC

With a rookie competing with them.

• TEs are Reed & Sprinkle. Draft a mid to late round draft pick as a #3 or UDFA

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If... IF we are doing what we should do and go with an actual YOUTH MOVEMENT and not signing a bunch of free agents, we don't need to sign a corner, ILB, S or OL.

If I was GM, I’d draft the BPA in each round - in a position we need - and re-sign our own FAs with that cap space:

This assumes you are able to get BPA in each round at a position of need and the free agents who are here choose to stay here.

Archived