Redskins Cap Situation

MKnight82

On 1/10/2019 at 3:43 PM, Woz said:

This assumes you are able to get BPA in each round at a position of need and the free agents who are here choose to stay here.

Well if it doesn’t work out that way, so be it. Just take BPA.

If Crowder doesn’t chose to stay, I can live with Trey Quinn, Maurice Harris, a cheaper free agent and a rookie competing for the starting slot WR position.

If Preston Smith is gone, so be it, draft an OLB, sign one like Shane Ray and have them compete with Ryan Anderson to be the starting ROLB.

51 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced we won't see Ryan Anderson start many meaningful games at OLB.

I think it’s likely he’s a starting LOLB in the future - like he was in college - when Kerrigan hangs them up.

Anderson will probably never be a double digit sack guy, but the guy makes plays on the field. He’ll stuff the run, force fumbles and do other things that will help the team win. For years, some of the best defenses in the league have had a guy like him who isn’t flashy but is just an all around tough nose good football player.

I think the key is to find someone who can at least be as good or better than Kerrigan to go at ROLB within the next few drafts to be the #1 pass rusher on the team when Kerrigan retires.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think it’s likely he’s a starting LOLB in the future - like he was in college - when Kerrigan hangs them up.

Anderson was drafted in the second round of 2017. This means he is entering the third year of his four year contract. Thus, he is a free agent in 2021.

Ryan Kerrigan is signed through the next two seasons. Thus, Kerrigan is also a free agent in 2021.

Other than Anderson being younger and cheaper (due to lack of performance), why would you take Anderson over Kerrigan, especially if Kerrigan gets the lion's share of the snaps over the next two years?

Anderson will probably never be a double digit sack guy, but the guy makes plays on the field. He’ll stuff the run, force fumbles and do other things that will help the team win.

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryananderson/2557853/profile

At this point in his career, Anderson is a double sack guy. As in 2.0 sacks for his career. Talking about him being a double digit sack guy is ludicrous.

He also has 33 tackles (19 solo) and 0 forced fumbles for his career.

Oh, and tackles for loss?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/wsh/season/2018/sort/tacklesForLoss/dir/desc
http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/wsh/season/2017/sort/tacklesForLoss/dir/desc

Grand total of 3 for his career.

He's a role player at best.

I think the key is to find someone who can at least be as good or better than Kerrigan to go at ROLB within the next few drafts to be the #1 pass rusher on the team when Kerrigan retires.

Well

1. It certainly isn't going to be Anderson, and
  2. He will likely be a downgrade at LOLB.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Anderson was drafted in the second round of 2017. This means he is entering the third year of his four year contract. Thus, he is a free agent in 2021.

Ryan Kerrigan is signed through the next two seasons. Thus, Kerrigan is also a free agent in 2021.

Other than Anderson being younger and cheaper (due to lack of performance), why would you take Anderson over Kerrigan, especially if Kerrigan gets the lion's share of the snaps over the next two years?

http://www.nfl.com/player/ryananderson/2557853/profile

At this point in his career, Anderson is a double sack guy. As in 2.0 sacks for his career. Talking about him being a double digit sack guy is ludicrous.

He also has 33 tackles (19 solo) and 0 forced fumbles for his career.

Oh, and tackles for loss?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/wsh/season/2018/sort/tacklesForLoss/dir/desc
http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/wsh/season/2017/sort/tacklesForLoss/dir/desc

Grand total of 3 for his career.

He's a role player at best.

Well

1. It certainly isn't going to be Anderson, and
  2. He will likely be a downgrade at LOLB.

Anderson doesn’t play bc he’s behind  the Ironman Kerrigan, how do we even truly know what he’s capable of?

His stats thus far is in his career don’t mean anything.

Anderson can be re-signed on the cheap as a reserve, and it wouldn’t shock me if Kerrigan retires after this contract is up and Anderson is our starting LOLB when Kerrigan retires in 2021.

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Anderson doesn’t play bc he’s behind  the Ironman Kerrigan, how do we even truly know what he’s capable of?

His stats thus far is in his career don’t mean anything.

He essentially cannot get on the field at any linebacker position. For two years. From a second rounder.

While not a lock of a bust, that's a very disturbing trend.

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Anderson can be re-signed on the cheap as a reserve, and it wouldn’t shock me if Kerrigan retires after this contract is up and Anderson is our starting LOLB when Kerrigan retires in 2021.

What's more likely?

1. Anderson stays a backup, Kerrigan retires at age 31, and Washington re-signs Anderson, or
  2. Washington re-signs Kerrigan for another two years.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

He essentially cannot get on the field at any linebacker position. For two years. From a second rounder.

While not a lock of a bust, that's a very disturbing trend.

What's more likely?

1. Anderson stays a backup, Kerrigan retires at age 31, and Washington re-signs Anderson, or
  2. Washington re-signs Kerrigan for another two years.

Anderson’s problem is not that he’s not a good football player, it’s that we drafted a 2nd round OLB in 3 of the last 4 drafts - previous to last year - and we also signed Galette and re-signed Galette after he tore his Achillies two years in a row. Smith & Galette were better than Anderson as pass rushers, Anderson is a good special teams player though and those guys don’t play teams. 

We didn’t know if Galette was going to healthy in 2017, so that’s another reason we drafted Anderson in the 2nd round. 

Galette stayed healthy and Smith is better, that was out of Anderson’s control.

I think Anderson will continue to develop as a back up to Kerrigan and eventually take over for him whenever the day is that Kerrigan hangs it up. Kerrigan is going to be 31 in August. Perhaps he plays until he’s 34, but I’m not so sure, unless the Redskins are going to be contenders in 2 or 3 years, he’ll probably hang them up before you think.

And, you’re right, I’m sure we’ll give him a 5-year, $100 million dollar deal and he’ll play a few years and retire.

Even if that happens, they can still re-sign Anderson on the cheap. As you’ve said he hasn’t shown anything to where another team is going to sign him away as a starter like the Bills did with Murphy and like someone probably will do with PSmith. Anderson can stay as Kerrigan's back up until 2022 or 2023 and then get his chance to start at LOLB.

43 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

A 2nd rounder who rarely plays is a bad sign.  That they were/are willing to risk him as a lead blocker at FB as opposed to someone else should tell you where his position on the depth chart is, and the value they see in him.  Sadly, it's not much. 

There’s no doubt that Anderson was overdrafted, but again, that doesn’t mean that he’s not a good football player and can’t help this team win on special teams, as a reserve OLB and continue to develop into a better OLB for the future.

He’s here now, he’s a good special teams player and developing reserve OLB. The 2017 draft is over. It really doesn’t matter anymore where he was drafted, he’s on the team now.

Also, Anderson was drafted into a stacked positon, especially once Galette stayed healthy in 2017. It’s hard to blame Anderson for not having a lot of stats/playing time when he’s drafted to be a back up behind Kerrigan & Smith, then Galette stays healthy and in 2018 they sign Pernell McPhee.

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I'd bet RA is off this team before Kerrigan hangs it up. Or RA would be on his second contract by then. 

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

There’s no doubt that Anderson was overdrafted, but again, that doesn’t mean that he’s not a good football player and can’t help this team win on special teams, as a reserve OLB and continue to develop into a better OLB for the future.

He’s here now, he’s a good special teams player and developing reserve OLB. The 2017 draft is over. It really doesn’t matter anymore where he was drafted, he’s on the team now.

Also, Anderson was drafted into a stacked positon, especially once Galette stayed healthy in 2017. It’s hard to blame Anderson for not having a lot of stats/playing time when he’s drafted to be a back up behind Kerrigan & Smith, then Galette stays healthy and in 2018 they sign Pernell McPhee.

but you don't draft a guy in the second round to play special teams (and try to play fullback on your gimmick plays. Maybe in the 5th and after but not the second. 

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Anderson’s problem is not that he’s not a good football player, it’s that we drafted a 2nd round OLB in 3 of the last 4 drafts - previous to last year - and we also signed Galette and re-signed Galette after he tore his Achillies two years in a row. Smith & Galette were better than Anderson as pass rushers, Anderson is a good special teams player though and those guys don’t play teams. 

Except Galette wasn't in DC this season and Anderson still got little time on the field.

I think Anderson will continue to develop as a back up to Kerrigan and eventually take over for him whenever the day is that Kerrigan hangs it up. Kerrigan is going to be 31 in August. Perhaps he plays until he’s 34, but I’m not so sure, unless the Redskins are going to be contenders in 2 or 3 years, he’ll probably hang them up before you think.

You keep saying that Anderson is a backup to Kerrigan

https://www.redskins.com/team/depth-chart

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/WAS/washington-redskins/depth-chart/

Left Inside Linebacker Reuben Foster

Mason Foster
Right Inside Linebacker Zach Brown

Josh Harvey-Clemons
Strongside Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan Pernell McPhee
Weakside Linebacker Preston Smith Ryan Anderson

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/WAS

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/depth-charts/washington-redskins

Weakside Linebacker R. Kerrigan P. McPhee M. Flowers  
Middle Linebacker Z. Brown M. Foster Z. Vigil S. Dion Hamilton
Middle Linebacker J. Harvey-Clemons      
Strongside Linebacker P. Smith R. Anderson    

Only one source can I find where they put Anderson behind Kerrigan: http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/name/wsh

Outside of ESPN, everyone (including the Washington Redskins official web page) has Anderson as being behind Smith, not Kerrigan.

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

And, you’re right, I’m sure we’ll give him a 5-year, $100 million dollar deal and he’ll play a few years and retire.

Even if that happens, they can still re-sign Anderson on the cheap. As you’ve said he hasn’t shown anything to where another team is going to sign him away as a starter like the Bills did with Murphy and like someone probably will do with PSmith. Anderson can stay as Kerrigan's back up until 2022 or 2023 and then get his chance to start at LOLB.

But let's go with your assertion that Anderson is backing up Kerrigan for a moment.

1. If he gets as few snaps on the field as he does now, why bother re-signing him? Why not just get a random guy off the street who will be cheaper? If he's just offering the team special teams play, there are plenty of cheaper guys that can be had. Yes, cheaper than what Anderson would give you because he'll have four years of accrued seasons and thus will be a 5th year vet min.
  2. Why would Anderson re-sign? If he's getting so little playing time, why would he come back when he can try his luck somewhere else? Sure, he'll play for minimal amounts of money somewhere else, but at least he's got a chance to make some coin after a year or two if he actually has any talent.

He was on the team in 2017 and 2018. That's not in question.

The question is: why should he be on the team in 2019?

It’s hard to blame Anderson for not having a lot of stats/playing time when he’s drafted to be a back up behind Kerrigan & Smith, then Galette stays healthy and in 2018 they sign Pernell McPhee.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2018-snap-counts.htm for linebackers

• Mason Foster = 1014 (98.16%)
  • Preston Smith = 834 (80.74%)
  • Ryan Kerrigan = 819 (79.28%)
  • Zach Brown = 703 (68.05%)

• Pernell McPhee = 203 (19.65%)
  • Josh Harvey-Clemons = 196 (18.97%)
  • Ryan Anderson = 163 (15.78%) [I'll admit I'm surprised it's that high]
  • Shaun Dion-Hamilton = 129 (12.49%)

• Cassanova McKinzy = 38 (3.68%)
  • Zach Vigil = 11 (1.06%)

So, there were snaps for Anderson.

Oh, since we have it up anyway, special teams snaps for Anderson: 162 (39.80%), 9th most on team behind Deshazor Everett (343, 84.28%), Zach Vigil (298, 73.22%), Josh Harvey-Clemons (295, 72.48%), Jehu Chesson (268, 65.85%), Danny Johnson (261, 64.13%), Shaun Dion Hamilton (247, 60.69%), Jeremy Sprinkle (236, 57.99%), and Greg Stroman (179, 43.98%).

Interesting ... there are three other linebackers who weren't second round picks who have more snaps on special teams than Anderson. It's kind of like he's meh at all phases of the game.

15 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd bet RA is off this team before Kerrigan hangs it up. Or RA would be on his second contract by then. 

Yeah, it's probable that Andreson is on his second contract by the time he's a starter because most likely Kerrigan will be retired by then.

Archived