Rank Your Choices for Head Coach

AnAngryAmerican

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The parallel they should be trying to sell is Mike Zimmer. 

Not a big enough name and his team isn’t in the playoffs.

You have to remember the casual fans, who comprise the target audience of team PR staffs, know who Belichick, Carrol and Reid are. Most don’t know enough about Zimmer to get a boost of confidence from hearing his name dropped while they watch the 2 minute sports report on the 10:00 news. Zimmer just isn’t a household name. Though I do agree with you that he’s a much more apt comparison. 

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If this is a bridge hire ultimately who we pick as QBOTF and how we restock our roster in the draft will matter more to when our window to contend opens up.  And then if need be we hopefully can get that transformative mind.   The one silver lining is the bridge hire and Kubiak means Elway can go hard on QB if he can ID a guy (iffy in this year’s class but stranger things have happened) - or next year go hard if he only dabbles in the later rounds (Rd3 is my guess of his cutoff but who knows).  

The problem there is that Kubiak was the guy pounding the table for Case. While Kubes is probably the guy best positioned to get the most of Case, it doesn’t appear that going this route is the “we’re shaking the trees to get a new QB,” one. Case is the guy, even more so with Kubiak running the offense. 

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Before we get too high or too low on whoever we hire, let’s acknowledge that this wasn’t a great HC pool to choose from.  And we mostly agree that in all likelihood this is a bridge type hire with Kubiak as OC.  

I’m more disappointed that other orgs cast a wider net than we did - but again, maybe Elway did and was politely declined.   Either way our fate as no longer being a top destination for HC candidates sealed the outcome IMO.  

If this is a bridge hire ultimately who we pick as QBOTF and how we restock our roster in the draft will matter more to when our window to contend opens up.  And then if need be we hopefully can get that transformative mind.   The one silver lining is the bridge hire and Kubiak means Elway can go hard on QB if he can ID a guy (iffy in this year’s class but stranger things have happened) - or next year go hard if he only dabbles in the later rounds (Rd3 is my guess of his cutoff but who knows).  

I'd bet Elway got quite a few "no"s. No QB, best players at the tail end of their peaks and Elway's coach killer rep will scare people away. There wasn't a lack of diversity in the candidates but would have liked to see 3-4 more interviews. We know McCarthy probably rebuffed him and they were pursuing the Harbaugh angle for a year. 

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The problem there is that Kubiak was the guy pounding the table for Case. While Kubes is probably the guy best positioned to get the most of Case, it doesn’t appear that going this route is the “we’re shaking the trees to get a new QB,” one. Case is the guy, even more so with Kubiak running the offense. 

That's what we expect for this year though, right? Do we really want one of these QBs round 1 this year? 

1 minute ago, champ11 said:

That's what we expect for this year though, right? Do we really want one of these QBs round 1 this year? 

I'd like to see what Daniel Jones can do. Don't know if I want him at 10, but if they want him...I think that is where you gotta take him, no? If not the best CB or OT should be the pick and you find some developmental guy later or trade back in to get Jones.

Just now, champ11 said:

You could be right and given that the franchise is being as safe and as conservative as possible, keeping Case and paring him with old and conservative coaches looks to be the MO.

To me, taking a QB in the first this year would be like rolling the dice on a Zac Taylor type. So, yes, we can cross that off the list. 

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah that result wouldn’t surprise me.  Kubiak definitely made the case for Keenum - Renck confirmed that last year.  So I can see Kubiak trying to fix Keenum.  But I do think if Kubiak doesn’t turn it around with Keenum (likely) it won’t stop the team from moving on...next offseason.  

It also won’t stop them from looking around and get some long term options this offseason.   Pretty sure Kevin Hogan won’t even be on the roster this season lol.  It’s just a matter of how hard they look (I.E. invest) this year vs. next IMO.    

So I do not believe Kubiak will run the offense. I tend to believe he will have a very general "Assistant HC" title and help mentor both the coach and a younger OC. Whether it a guy like Taylor (unlikely) or maybe a guy like Jim Bob Cooter who has experience with Denver and Kubiak or someone of the sort Kubiak will be an advisor more than a hands-on manager

5 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

So I do not believe Kubiak will run the offense. I tend to believe he will have a very general "Assistant HC" title and help mentor both the coach and a younger OC. Whether it a guy like Taylor (unlikely) or maybe a guy like Jim Bob Cooter who has experience with Denver and Kubiak or someone of the sort Kubiak will be an advisor more than a hands-on manager

Wasn’t Jim Bob Cooter investigated for some similar sexual shenanigans as Vance? If so I doubt the team wants to walk into that PR Vietnam again. 

Patrick Smyth has been on the interview committee, this entire process is being done with PR in mind. My guess is that’s at the urging, if not heavy-handed insistence, of Joe Ellis who wants as much fan/media/corporate support as possible to retain his grip on power. 

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wasn’t Jim Bob Cooter investigated for some similar sexual shenanigans as Vance? If so I doubt the team wants to walk into that PR Vietnam again. 

Patrick Smyth has been on the interview committee, this entire process is being done with PR in mind. My guess is that’s at the urging, if not heavy-handed insistence, of Joe Ellis who wants as much fan/media/corporate support as possible to retain his grip on power. 

I hadn't heard of that. If that is the case then that would eliminate him. But the overall point still stands

Honestly a big no on Jim Bob Cooter.  He had a great interim season when he took over as OC 3+ years ago.   But then it’s been downhill each year since then even though Matt Stafford has been very stable skill wise.  They pointed to a bad OL and lack of run game - but this year they got both T back from injury, drafted a great G in Frank Ragnow - and got top 10 pass blocking ang a 12-spot jump in run blocking.    And got a foundation RB in Kerryon Johnson and a breakout season from WR Kenny Golladay.  But crashed in O production.   That’s all on JBC.  

He had a hot start but once DC adjusted to his tendencies and play calling he’s never been able to adjust back the last 2 years.  With a bad OL last year it’s understandable but not this year.  

DET has a much better QB play, a similar great RB talent, and a better WR1 now than we do, and overall better OL play (especially in pass pro).  And yet DET was awful on O.  Given our situation an easy pass imo.  

6 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

I hadn't heard of that. If that is the case then that would eliminate him. But the overall point still stands

Here it is

James "Jim Bob" Cooter, now 31, was arrested and charged with aggravated burglary in 2009 and with drunken-driving in 2006, according to previous reports from the Associated Press and The Tennessean. In June 27, 2009, a woman said he climbed through an apartment window, stripped down to his underwear and got into bed with her, the AP reported July 2, 2009. Knoxville police spokesman Darrell DeBusk said at the time that there was no indication Cooter knew the woman.

34 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Here it is

James "Jim Bob" Cooter, now 31, was arrested and charged with aggravated burglary in 2009 and with drunken-driving in 2006, according to previous reports from the Associated Press and The Tennessean. In June 27, 2009, a woman said he climbed through an apartment window, stripped down to his underwear and got into bed with her, the AP reported July 2, 2009. Knoxville police spokesman Darrell DeBusk said at the time that there was no indication Cooter knew the woman.

We'll in that case he definitely should not be the guy. But I do think we will see a young OC with more cutting edge tendencies and let Kubiak mentor them.

Archived