Rank Your Choices for Head Coach

AnAngryAmerican

You are not wrong. However, I am not panicking until I see what the dynamic is. If Kubiak is " Offensive Consultant" or a general " Offensive Assistant" then it is not a big deal. Other teams have these general assistant positions and there are no issues. I do agree that with Elway there does need to be a clear chain of command. However, for me it comes down to the execution not the existence of Kubiak in the position. 

+1 I agree with this. As long as there is a clear chain of command. I am not thrilled by the Vic hire but he needs to be let known that this is his team, not that there is a feasible quick fix option in Kubiak waiting in the wings if the team stumbles or starts slow.

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

+1 I agree with this. As long as there is a clear chain of command. I am not thrilled by the Vic hire but he needs to be let known that this is his team, not that there is a feasible quick fix option in Kubiak waiting in the wings if the team stumbles or starts slow.

Absolutely. That is on Elway. That is definitely a risk. However, I think it will be a risk regardless of Kubiaks position. Lets just hope Elway actually lets the coach do their job. Vance Joseph was way over his head and deserved to be fired. However, in many ways Elway set him up for failure. Hopefully he doesn't do the same this time

1 hour ago, elwayfan07 said:

Im not sure that Kubiak is going to be the OC. Several Denver writers have all said that he will be back in some fashion but not necessarily OC. They say it is more likely he has a general Offensive Assistant Role and help to mentor a young OC and helps the HC with game management etc. 

So just meddling in the coaching staff then? The problem with Denver lately has been too many cooks in the kitchen. Elway and Kubiak just need to stay out of the way, hire the right coach and staff and let them build their vision.

34 minutes ago, elwayfan07 said:

You are not wrong. However, I am not panicking until I see what the dynamic is. If Kubiak is " Offensive Consultant" or a general " Offensive Assistant" then it is not a big deal. Other teams have these general assistant positions and there are no issues. I do agree that with Elway there does need to be a clear chain of command. However, for me it comes down to the execution not the existence of Kubiak in the position. 

Other teams don't have former head coaches who are bff's with the GM in these positions is the difference. Kubiak having any control/input into the coaching is just allowing Elway to have his grip on things. I don't like that dynamic personally. 

So just meddling in the coaching staff then? The problem with Denver lately has been too many cooks in the kitchen. Elway and Kubiak just need to stay out of the way, hire the right coach and staff and let them build their vision.

I generally agree with this, but if we go young with our OC hire, ideally Mike Kafka, then keeping Kubiak around as a mentor / on-job-trainer would be a good move. No playcalling imput, or presence on the sideline even, but someone that can help a young guy transition and deal with the stresses of a high level coach position. I compare it abstractly to McVay and Phillips, the young coach was paired with a old as hell, tough as nails DC to help mentor. The age / experience gap between those two was certainly done somewhat on purpose.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Not sure who he is, but it's news 

He's a bears blog writer.  Lots of people dislike him because he's not employed as a sports writer professionally, just as a hobby, but he's right more than he's wrong. 

That being said, I hope he's wrong this time, I don't want ya'll to steal my DC.

I am not thrilled with Fangio, but he was my 3rd option.  I didn’t want one of the retreads.  Would’ve rather went with a young/innovative offensive mind like Taylor.  Hopefully this talk of going with a young college coach as OC and having Kubiak be more of a mentor than offensive coordinator is true and would make me feel better about the hire.

It will be certainly an interesting dynamic of sorts in Denver.  I kind of like it.  I wonder if he keeps Joe Woods around? I hope he does.  Joe needs a few more years to learn a bit I think...his defense was too inconsistent...great one game...bad the next.  

Archived