Rank Your Choices for Head Coach

AnAngryAmerican

1 minute ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Are you kidding AAA, I lived the 90s. Doc Martins, flannel, grunge music, the introduction to Fat Tire beer, and oh yeah the Broncos won b2b Super Bowls.

So did I. The aspects of it you mention are great. But in the 1990s I also drove a 1984 Camaro. That was great. But that’s not what I’m driving in 2019 and there’s good reason for that. 

1 minute ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

So did I. The aspects of it you mention are great. But in the 1990s I also drove a 1984 Camaro. That was great. But that’s not what I’m driving in 2019 and there’s good reason for that. 

Come on...you can't call your Prius and upgrade...I had a four door Datsun Pulsar that I think was built with common core mathematics.

Alas...not sure what to think about Fangio...yeah our defense should be better...looks like they are hiring a replacement for Wade and will use Kubiak to reconstruct the offense to his liking....this is really going to be a co-head  coach kind of deal...

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Talk about reaching. 

It’s a fair criticism of his resume. It’s not and shouldn’t be a disqualifier, I’m not saying it is or should be, just pointing that out. 

I’m also not trying to be overly negative here but this whole process has just really disappointed me. I don’t know how any honest observer can feel good about what’s happened since Vance was fired. Is an old DC who’s never won anything, done anything revolutionary or been a HC before really the type to vault us back into contention? With a 1997 offense in tow? Tell me I’m wrong. 

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It’s a fair criticism of his resume. It’s not and shouldn’t be a disqualifier, I’m not saying it is or should be, just pointing that out. 

I’m also not trying to be overly negative here but this whole process has just really disappointed me. I don’t know how any honest observer can feel good about what’s happened since Vance was fired. Is an old DC who’s never won anything, done anything revolutionary or been a HC before really the type to vault us back into contention? With a 1997 offense in tow? Tell me I’m wrong. 

If "never won anything" simply means never won a Super Bowl, you're correct. He has coached on a lot of teams who have made deep playoff runs, with the defense being the better unit in every case.

Agreed on the limited scope of the process and Kubiak's offense.  

I think the staff is going to be:

HC: Vic Fangio

OC: Gary Kubiak

DC: Some Fangio yes-man that doesn't call the plays

I'm wondering if what's actually happening though is Kubiak will be the de-facto head coach and Fangio is the glorified DC but also handling the media stuff. This is the sort of possibility that @broncos67 has mentioned on a couple of occasions.

Klis keeps touting the “Everyone is looking for the next Sean McVay but Elway knows the best coaches are in their 60s - Belichick, Carrol, Reid,” line. 

I’m sure that will a central part of the team’s PR talking points but anyone with a brain should realize that Belichick, Reid and Carrol have been HCs for a looooong time and are in their second (or fourth, in Carrols’s case) stints as head coaches. 

-Reid: 19 years as a HC (13 years in PHI, 6 in KC).

-Belichick: 25 years as a HC (5 years in CLE, 20 in NE)

-Carroll: 22 years as a HC: (1 year in NYJ, 3 in NE, 9 at USC, 9 in SEA)

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis keeps touting the “Everyone is looking for the next Sean McVay but Elway knows the best coaches are in their 60s - Belichick, Carrol, Reid,” line. 

I’m sure that will a central part of the team’s PR talking points but anyone with a brain should realize that Belichick, Reid and Carrol have been HCs for a looooong time and are in their second (or fourth, in Carrols’s case) stints as head coaches. 

-Reid: 19 years as a HC (13 years in PHI, 6 in KC).

-Belichick: 25 years as a HC (5 years in CLE, 20 in NE)

-Carroll: 22 years as a HC: (1 year in NYJ, 3 in NE, 9 at USC, 9 in SEA)

The parallel they should be trying to sell is Mike Zimmer. 

8 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think the staff is going to be:I'm wondering if what's actually happening though is Kubiak will be the de-facto head coach and Fangio is the glorified DC but also handling the media stuff. This is the sort of possibility that @broncos67 has mentioned on a couple of occasions.

If Kubiak doesn’t want all the stress and 80+ hour work weeks that being a HC entails, I don’t know why he would want to be the OC with even some additional duties. 

What would make a Fangio hire more palatable to me would be to have Kubiak as a fancy-titled coach in some capacity paired with a young mind type OC (Taylor or someone else) who actually calls the plays and learns more about the larger scheme of things from the two older guys in Kubiak and Fangio. 

Before we get too high or too low on whoever we hire, let’s acknowledge that this wasn’t a great HC pool to choose from.  And we mostly agree that in all likelihood this is a bridge type hire with Kubiak as OC.  

I’m more disappointed that other orgs cast a wider net than we did - but again, maybe Elway did and was politely declined.   Either way our fate as no longer being a top destination for HC candidates sealed the outcome IMO.  

If this is a bridge hire ultimately who we pick as QBOTF and how we restock our roster in the draft will matter more to when our window to contend opens up.  And then if need be we hopefully can get that transformative mind.   The one silver lining is the bridge hire and Kubiak means Elway can go hard on QB if he can ID a guy (iffy in this year’s class but stranger things have happened) - or next year go hard if he only dabbles in the later rounds (Rd3 is my guess of his cutoff but who knows).  

Archived