Rank Your Choices for Head Coach

AnAngryAmerican

5 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

At least we didn’t hire a failed college wunderkin with no NFL experience like Arizona did

Yeah, that could go pear shaped. After having to fire Steve Wilks just a year in, I’d have expected them to take the safer options. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not sure zagging is hiring a head coach like Fangio. This isn't the 1990's NFL. This team needs a QB and I don't see Fangio as a guy that speaks that language.

Broncos don't have a QB tho, they do have the makings of an elite D. I can easily see him taking your D and making it top 5. I think everyone is looking for a long term solution, but to be honest most head coaches fail. Look at all the recent hires, how many are successful?

If Vic is your new Head Coach I would be pretty sad to lose him for the Bears. I honestly think you guys are not giving him a fair shot because he is not in vogue. This is a buyers market for defensive coaching talent. Their are guys with zero resume getting jobs simply because they look the part on the offensive side. Fangio's team loved him and it was one of the most disciplined units in the league. 

The guy knows how to shut down modern offenses without roughing the passer and simply suffocates offenses. I can't wait to see Mahomes frustrated with a Fangio defense on him. 

He is rough around the edges but with the right buy in from players they will love him. 

14 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

If Vic is your new Head Coach I would be pretty sad to lose him for the Bears. I honestly think you guys are not giving him a fair shot because he is not in vogue. This is a buyers market for defensive coaching talent. Their are guys with zero resume getting jobs simply because they look the part on the offensive side. Fangio's team loved him and it was one of the most disciplined units in the league. 

The guy knows how to shut down modern offenses without roughing the passer and simply suffocates offenses. I can't wait to see Mahomes frustrated with a Fangio defense on him. 

He is rough around the edges but with the right buy in from players they will love him. 

Great post!

30 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

All that sounds like a great resume for a defensive coordinator. Unfortunately we’re hiring a head coach. 

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Yeah, that could go pear shaped. After having to fire Steve Wilks just a year in, I’d have expected them to take the safer options. 

47 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Hiring Kingsbury buys Keim a little more time than hiring an established coach would. 

Anytime a HC gets only 1 year before being fired the GM has to take a huge part of the blame.   Keim thinking Mike McCoy was a good OC to pair with a rookie HC after seeing what happened to us with McCoy & VJ - Keim is really lucky he didn’t get canned too.  

But at the same time when you add his extreme DUI he’s on extremely thin ice. A safe choice likely still gets him fired.  So he kinda has to take a huge chance.   Plus much like us but even moreso they aren’t contenders for 2-3 years.  So they are looking to just overhaul the O and catch lightning in a bottle.   It’s 10x riskier than Taylor but Keim and ARI probably have even less to lose than Elway.  

I’d be quite happy with a Fangio / Kubiak pairing, maybe ecstatic. What a collection of football talent.

Kubiak OC, Fangio DC / HC. These guys aren’t old by any means or stuck in the 80’s or 90’s (not sure what that means anyway)They just have a wealth of knowledge, strong track records on their perspective sides of the ball, and both seem to develop a real rapport with players.

Just consider the upgrade from Musgrave / Woods. That alone is worth a few wins a year.

21 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I’d be quite happy with a Fangio / Kubiak pairing, maybe ecstatic. What a collection of football talent.

Kubiak OC, Fangio DC / HC. These guys aren’t old by any means or stuck in the 80’s or 90’s (not sure what that means anyway)They just have a wealth of knowledge, strong track records on their perspective sides of the ball, and both seem to develop a real rapport with players.

Just consider the upgrade from Musgrave / Woods. That alone is worth a few wins a year.

I agree,get back to running the ball [use Freeman more,Lindsay not big enough for amount of touches he was getting at end of year] and playing great defence, which complement each other and protects from bad QB play !! I do think Kubiak will be a better fit for Keenum and he may surprise by end of next year,don't get me wrong he is not going to take us to the big game though ..keep in mind every super bowl we have won was from effectively running the ball and playing light's out on defense for the most part !

I hope you stay the F away from Fangio, but if I'm Elway it makes the most sense to me. You've got two excellent pass rushers and some good corners (from what I recall, haven't watched you at all this season). You tell Fangio he runs the defense and Kubiak runs the offense and you're in excellent shape. Kubiak will run the ball, build off play action, and Elway won't have to worry about Kubiak leaving because he's expressed a desire to not be a head coach again. Makes too much sense to me, which is why I fear that Fangio is your guy.

He's a crusty old SOB with a dry sense of humor, but our players LOVE him, rave about him even. What he did with our personnel when he first got to Chicago was nothing short of amazing. He took the worst defense in Chicago Bears history (we are the founding franchise, mind you) and in one season improved them to 20th in points allowed. Take a look at that roster: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2015.htm

3 minutes ago, G08 said:

I hope you stay the F away from Fangio, but if I'm Elway it makes the most sense to me. You've got two excellent pass rushers and some good corners (from what I recall, haven't watched you at all this season). You tell Fangio he runs the defense and Kubiak runs the offense and you're in excellent shape. Kubiak will run the ball, build off play action, and Elway won't have to worry about Kubiak leaving because he's expressed a desire to not be a head coach again. Makes too much sense to me, which is why I fear that Fangio is your guy.

He's a crusty old SOB with a dry sense of humor, but our players LOVE him, rave about him even. What he did with our personnel when he first got to Chicago was nothing short of amazing. He took the worst defense in Chicago Bears history (we are the founding franchise, mind you) and in one season improved them to 20th in points allowed. Take a look at that roster: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2015.htm

I will say this about Fangio - it will at least make for entertaining pressers post game if Keenum & the O holds back our D next year like it did this year (and now 3 years running).   Old school Mike Zimmer-style interviews FTW! 

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I will say this about Fangio - it will at least make for entertaining pressers post game if Keenum & the O holds back our D next year like it did this year (and now 3 years running).   Old school Mike Zimmer-style interviews FTW! 

No joke -- I would watch every post-game presser of his just to see how he reacts xD

We all knew there were no thrilling choices out there. Still don’t personally have a reason to prefer between Fangio or Munchak (or Pagano).  Didn’t want to set the franchise back with a “young unproven potential wunderkid”, or another Bellicheat failure.  And if it is Fangio, I’m optimistic about the chances for our D - and hey - that was enough to win SB 50. So -could be worse, and should be good enough to bridge us to the next guy.

Now - in terms of what’s really important to turn this franchise around - a true franchise QB - time to start trading to get picks for 2021😜

Archived