Rank Your Choices for Head Coach

AnAngryAmerican

15 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Can we vote for "None of the Above"

Would rather go back to Toub, to be honest. 

Have to assume McCarthy has told Elway to pound sand as he has better options.  

Yes. That’s how I would have voted TBH. 

Toub interviewed here already and was passed over. He’s interviewed for other jobs too if memory serves and hasn’t revived any offers. I’m guessing he’s a LaFleur-like candidate, looks good on paper but there’s something about him we (as fans) don’t know that’s keeping him away. 

My guess is McCarthy let it be known he wants a team with a young QB he can groom. Because otherwise he’s in the Pagano/Munchak category as an experienced coach when Elway said point blank he wants an experienced candidate. 

16 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Can we vote for "None of the Above";)

Do we have confirmation of the intent to install Kubs as OC?  That just seems like a bad plan on so many levels.  Nueters the HC right from the start, create power struggles (as mentioned elsewhere), and - lets face it, Kubs is pretty old school.  

Pagano seems competent, a decent guy, and a good story.  Beyond that, hard to get excited about any of them.  Would rather go back to Toub, to be honest.  Have to assume McCarthy has told Elway to pound sand as he has better options.  

I'm with you on Pagano. Also, I'm really curious about Kubes as OC. I've read everything I could find about the coaching changes and still can't find anything other than journalistic speculation about that. I also like him better in his present role..

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm with you on Pagano. Also, I'm really curious about Kubes as OC. I've read everything I could find about the coaching changes and still can't find anything other than journalistic speculation about that. I also like him better in his present role..

Kubes has stated he wants to come back into coaching.  Elway said Kubes will be back next year but can't confirm capacity. 

I think one thing folks (not on here so much as on Twitter) need to keep in mind is that coaches have to want to come here as much as we'd like them to be interviewed. Denver just isn't a great landing spot for a young coach right now. Elway has gone through a ton of coaches in a short time span. If you're a young coordinator, is that the environment you'd want? Especially if you're green enough that if you do get fired you couldn't land a job immediately? That's the risk.

Anyway, I'd rank as follows:

1. Vic Fangio
  2. Chuck Pagano
  3. Mike Munchak
  4. Zac Taylor
  5. Brian Flores

Honestly, I'd love to get Fangio here. I think he's like Mike Zimmer, in that it took awhile for him to get a shot, but he has always had high performing defensive units even when the overall team wasn't good, so his players play hard for him. There's something to be said there. 

6 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

A one-year coordinator with ties to CU? I think the phrase “been there, done that” applies. 

Eh, the fact that he has ties to CU is somewhat irrelevant to me. I care more that he came from the Andy Reid coaching tree. There's a lot of success from that tree in the NFL.

None of the options are great, but if I had to choose I would go with:

HC - Chuck Pagano

OC - Zac Taylor

DC - John Pagano

This gives Taylor a few years to develop playcalling abilities and ideally succeed Pagano when his 3-4 year contract expires. I dont want Kubiak as the OC. We need new blood. Kubiak still calls games like its 2002. He makes some good adjustments, but his offensive philosophy overall is just sorta stale.

6 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I think one thing folks (not on here so much as on Twitter) need to keep in mind is that coaches have to want to come here as much as we'd like them to be interviewed. Denver just isn't a great landing spot for a young coach right now. Elway has gone through a ton of coaches in a short time span. If you're a young coordinator, is that the environment you'd want? Especially if you're green enough that if you do get fired you couldn't land a job immediately? That's the risk.

Anyway, I'd rank as follows:

1. Vic Fangio
  2. Chuck Pagano
  3. Mike Munchak
  4. Zac Taylor
  5. Brian Flores

Honestly, I'd love to get Fangio here. I think he's like Mike Zimmer, in that it took awhile for him to get a shot, but he has always had high performing defensive units even when the overall team wasn't good, so his players play hard for him. There's something to be said there. 

Can't disagree with your reasoning. I'd just prefer a 2nd time HC rather than a rookie.

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

Can't disagree with your reasoning. I'd just prefer a 2nd time HC rather than a rookie.

That's fair. I have reservations, but I don't think a first time HC is the problem, I think the problem has been the  "who." McVay, Pederson, Nagy, O'Brien, Reich, Vrabel..these guys have all worked out pretty well for first time head coaches. Find a guy who is worthy and hire him- Vance was never a good candidate. His defensive units were never good AND he didn't have a ton of coordinator experience. That's why I'm more leery of Flores, even though his units are quite good for the talent they have. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

That's fair. I have reservations, but I don't think a first time HC is the problem, I think the problem has been the  "who." McVay, Pederson, Nagy, O'Brien, Reich, Vrabel..these guys have all worked out pretty well for first time head coaches. Find a guy who is worthy and hire him- Vance was never a good candidate. His defensive units were never good AND he didn't have a ton of coordinator experience. That's why I'm more leery of Flores, even though his units are quite good for the talent they have. 

If pairing the HC with Kubiak is what Elway wants I wouldn’t mind Fangio at all.  He’s had good defenses like you said.  And Kubiak would handle the offense while being a good source of info for a first time HC

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I wanted a wide net cast so far idk whats been different this coach search compared to the last?

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I think one thing folks (not on here so much as on Twitter) need to keep in mind is that coaches have to want to come here as much as we'd like them to be interviewed. Denver just isn't a great landing spot for a young coach right now. Elway has gone through a ton of coaches in a short time span. If you're a young coordinator, is that the environment you'd want? Especially if you're green enough that if you do get fired you couldn't land a job immediately? That’s the risk   

Bienemy got 4 interviews.  He also knows from Toub what Elway was looking for before.   And obviously he saw the team roster and future  having played us 2x this year.   I think it’s entirely possible the top available O minds didn’t want to come to interview with DEN.   They already have interviews with 3-4 other teams with better situations.  We have no QB we lost our only WR capable of being a WR1 next year right off the bat and our OL needs work.  And the specter of Elway’s power and impatient expectations in DEN.   

I’m already on record as saying I’m unsure how to feel about Bienemy since he’s only been OC for 1 year but I can see how he and the other O minds in demand see the DEN job as low among the 9 available (DET fired Jim Bob Cooter, thereby removing one of the greatest coaching names around for now lol).  CIN & MIA are probably the only 2 teams in obviously worse situations (and CIN only because ownership just cares about the $$).  I think many of the O minds see the job as a lame-duck position, the guy is a placeholder until we're a lot better roster-depth wise and we have a real QBOTF.   The likelihood it's this hire is a stretch with our roster depth and total lack of QB options.   It's notable that Elway said McCarthy was on the radar - but never arranged an interview.  I don't necessarily think that was the best solution for us, but I do think it's interesting Elway noted interest - yet nothing came of it.   To me, that would suggest McCarthy might have let it be known he wasn't interested (obv. no way to know, but it's rare for a team to express some public interest, and no inquiries made in the background).

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

So we interviewed Pagano today we interview Taylor tomorrow when are the other interviews set up?

Taylor's interview is in LA tomorrow, Munchak on Friday in DEN, and then it's Flores on Saturday in NE, and Fangio on Monday in CHI.

Archived