Jump to content

Rank Your Choices for Head Coach


Recommended Posts

Several of the fan blogs and forums I’ve read have been saying they want Fangio. Nothing reporting it, just read a lot saying he’s their top choice. 

I just don’t see the appeal. At all. I mean I don’t see a lot of appeal in any of the 5 but I see virtually none in Fangio. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If he isn't retained, Elway's going to get a ton of additional bad PR.   It's one thing to retain him because you want to keep a guy.   If the new HC doesn't retain him, man that's going to be some seriously bad PR.  I hope Kugler stays as well, but it's definitely taken a sideways turn if Kugler doesn't stay.

I think our next coach has already told them he's good with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, he (Fangio) Is unencumbered now with Philly’s Win.

None of the 5 stand out enough for me to care which of them we pick, to be honest.  Not like we’re passing on any “gotta have”prospects. Since I’m not interviewing them, and their track records are all “meh”, I’ll trust Elway ( not because he’s earned it, but simply because it would be presumptuous for me to do otherwise based on a lack of any public info suggesting any of these 5 would be better than any of the others.  

Elway has made 2 good coaching decisions, and one mistake.  Let’s hope VJ was the anomaly 

Edited by DiehardBronxFan
Made clear I’m referring to Fangio
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, elwayfan07 said:

OFor me I would like to see maybe a lineup like

 

HC Mike Munchak

OC Jim Bob Cooter

DC Todd Bowles

 

Munchak has made every unit he's been with better. He improved the Titans and when he left they fell off a cliff. He had more wins his last season than they did the next 3. The 10 years before Munchak the Steelers were 2nd worst Oline for sacks and in the 5years since they are 2nd best. Everywhere he has gone he got the best of his talent. 

 

Cooter is a good young offensive mind who has helped Stafford have some of his best production. Peyton has raved about him before and his familiarity with Denver could help. 

Bowles has had great success as a DC. He is versed in a variety of schemes and will put the players in position to produce

 

I would also love to see them pry away Bill Callahan as Oline coach. I doubt it would happen but it would be fantastic

Agreed about Munchak's track record. But to play devils advocate, you could say the same thing about Wade Phillips' defenses. And he makes for a lousy head coach. Says so himself. Of the 5 that we are looking at, I think there are only two that they are actually taking seriously. Of those two, I would say that Munchak would be my personal choice. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, germ-x said:

They need to bring in Taylor.  Draft a QBOTF at #10 and go from there.  That’s the gamble move, but everything else is just mediocrity and we’re sitting here in 2-3 years in the same spot.

I agree that this is the way we need to go with HC and QB. Drafting a QB at 10 or trading up for that QB is risky but it’s what we need to do.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ to go with the above.  We may crash and burn with that scenario, but I’d rather do that and admit a full rebuild then to just keep going with the status quo and bank on getting lucky.

Denvers defense has slowly gotten worse (expected, the key players from the elite defense from a few years ago have either outpriced us or aged) and the offense had been trash since 2015. 

I am all for rolling the damn dice.  Bring in Taylor, an offensive mind with innovation and Daniel Jones at #10.  A smart QB with above average physical tools. 

We can bring in Munchak/Pagano, draft a guy like DeAndre Baker at #10 and it wouldn’t be a bad move.  It’s the safe move, but I also don’t think it moves the needle toward wins all that much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, germ-x said:

^^^ to go with the above.  We may crash and burn with that scenario, but I’d rather do that and admit a full rebuild then to just keep going with the status quo and bank on getting lucky.

Denvers defense has slowly gotten worse (expected, the key players from the elite defense from a few years ago have either outpriced us or aged) and the offense had been trash since 2015. 

I am all for rolling the damn dice.  Bring in Taylor, an offensive mind with innovation and Daniel Jones at #10.  A smart QB with above average physical tools. 

We can bring in Munchak/Pagano, draft a guy like DeAndre Baker at #10 and it wouldn’t be a bad move.  It’s the safe move, but I also don’t think it moves the needle toward wins all that much.

I'd take just the Daniel Jones part . I like the Idea of building the trenches while getting a young qb . Look at how the eagles offense and the colts offenses produce with good olines with smart competent qbs.

I'm really hoping the fact that there's so much hype around 2020s qbs allows a guy like Jones to drop a bit.  I like him a lot better at the end of round 1 via trade up than at 10.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fangio's defenses are awesome, he has tons of experience and he seems like a straight shooter. The problem with our current personnel is Fangio's defenses are very dependent on linebackers and safeties to make plays, kind of the opposite of Wade's. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, germ-x said:

^^^ to go with the above.  We may crash and burn with that scenario, but I’d rather do that and admit a full rebuild then to just keep going with the status quo and bank on getting lucky.

Denvers defense has slowly gotten worse (expected, the key players from the elite defense from a few years ago have either outpriced us or aged) and the offense had been trash since 2015. 

I am all for rolling the damn dice.  Bring in Taylor, an offensive mind with innovation and Daniel Jones at #10.  A smart QB with above average physical tools. 

We can bring in Munchak/Pagano, draft a guy like DeAndre Baker at #10 and it wouldn’t be a bad move.  It’s the safe move, but I also don’t think it moves the needle toward wins all that much.

Agree, and disagree.  Agree with the basic premise that we need to get a decent QB in the house, and a young offensive mind to coach him up and giving us at least a competent offense.  But, if it’s the wrong QB this year, and an incompetent “hot coordinator” coach, then Elway has likely cost himself a job AND we all lose ANOTHER 3 years before we start the cycle all over again.  

 

I dont think hunk is a matter of IF you bring in the QB, but when and how.  At the end of the day, it’s about creating the best odds for success.  At QB, the odds of Success will go up dramatically in 2020.  Much better and deeper pool of candidates.  So, put yourself in position to take a top QB in 2020.  Do whatever you need to do to stock up on draft picks next year.  Trade Von.  Trade Harris. Trade your top pick this year.  Heck, trade the whole team (just hyperbole - let’s not LLC freak out). But don’t reach this year.  Nobody here would have said a Jones was a first rounder 6 weeks ago.  He hasn’t suddenly become a first rounder - you’ve just stayed at the bar too long and are getting desperate....

P.S.  that is probably in the wrong thread - my apologies....

Edited by DiehardBronxFan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When looking at this lot of candidates I can't help but feel we didn't find the middle ground. We went big on the age and experience factor with Munchak, Pagano and Fangio and then we went to the total opposite end of the spectrum with Taylor and Flores, one a one-year coordinator the other not even a coordinator. Where were the guys in the middle or those two extremes? Why not talk to Matt LaFleur? Dan Campbell? What about combing the college ranks where it has been reported that Elway likes some aspects of some college offenses. 

The list itself leaves a lot to be desired and that means so will our head coach. 

Now the reports are coming out that Munchak has risen to the top of the list. Okay, not sure if Elway is leaking that, as he's the only one who would know, but even if he is who is going to be excited about that hire? Not me. I'm not going to hate it. I don't know how anyone can hate it. But what's there to be excited about?

I'd be much more excited about @germ-x suggestion that we just go full-bore for a rebuild. If we swing and miss I don't we can blame Elway for at least taking a chance, can we?

Oh well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Agree, and disagree.  Agree with the basic premise that we need to get a decent QB in the house, and a young offensive mind to coach him up and giving us at least a competent offense.  But, if it’s the wrong QB this year, and an incompetent “hot coordinator” coach, then Elway has likely cost himself a job AND we all lose ANOTHER 3 years before we start the cycle all over again.  

 

I dont think hunk is a matter of IF you bring in the QB, but when and how.  At the end of the day, it’s about creating the best odds for success.  At QB, the odds of Success will go up dramatically in 2020.  Much better and deeper pool of candidates.  So, put yourself in position to take a top QB in 2020.  Do whatever you need to do to stock up on draft picks next year.  Trade Von.  Trade Harris. Trade your top pick this year.  Heck, trade the whole team (just hyperbole - let’s not LLC freak out). But don’t reach this year.  Nobody here would have said a Jones was a first rounder 6 weeks ago.  He hasn’t suddenly become a first rounder - you’ve just stayed at the bar too long and are getting desperate....

P.S.  that is probably in the wrong thread - my apologies....

Haha, haven’t been at the bar, necessarily.  Been in Blackhawk at a bachelor party for 2 days.....so you may be onto something.

But no, Jones is a damn good prospect who has had 1st round hype for months.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

When looking at this lot of candidates I can't help but feel we didn't find the middle ground. We went big on the age and experience factor with Munchak, Pagano and Fangio and then we went to the total opposite end of the spectrum with Taylor and Flores, one a one-year coordinator the other not even a coordinator. Where were the guys in the middle or those two extremes? Why not talk to Matt LaFleur? Dan Campbell? What about combing the college ranks where it has been reported that Elway likes some aspects of some college offenses. 

The list itself leaves a lot to be desired and that means so will our head coach. 

Now the reports are coming out that Munchak has risen to the top of the list. Okay, not sure if Elway is leaking that, as he's the only one who would know, but even if he is who is going to be excited about that hire? Not me. I'm not going to hate it. I don't know how anyone can hate it. But what's there to be excited about?

I'd be much more excited about @germ-x suggestion that we just go full-bore for a rebuild. If we swing and miss I don't we can blame Elway for at least taking a chance, can we?

Oh well. 

I also have come around to the viewpoint that we should hire Taylor, draft QB, and just swing for the fences. Take the lumps and growing pains in hopes Taylor becomes the next McVay. I echo your sentiment that Munchak is a steadying, but unexciting hire. The only thing about it I think is even remotely worthwhile is the fact that I believe Munchak's HOF status may buy him some additional sway with Elway. 

I will continue to say this though, I would love LaFleur, Campbell, etc...but the coaching search is a two-way street. Right or wrong, those guys have to want to come to Denver, and Elway has had a coaching carousel with an inability to find a QB option and a short leash for coaches. If you were a hot candidate, is that the environment you would want to come to? Especially if you're a college coach? I sure as hell wouldn't come here.

The one thing that have me the most angry is if Elway jams Kubiak into a support role but Kubiak maintains more power than the head coach. That situation is all too possible, and one reason I don't think it's appropriate that we kowtow to Kubiak for no apparent reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I will continue to say this though, I would love LaFleur, Campbell, etc...but the coaching search is a two-way street. Right or wrong, those guys have to want to come to Denver, and Elway has had a coaching carousel with an inability to find a QB option and a short leash for coaches. If you were a hot candidate, is that the environment you would want to come to? Especially if you're a college coach? I sure as hell wouldn't come here.

This in a nutshell is our dilemma.  We can hope for a stabilizing influence and get back to 8-8 type teams and get the odd bounce our way to sneak into the playoffs. And get crushed by far better teams.   Or we can embrace a full on rebuild.  Either way we aren’t an attractive destination for the established best O candidates.   The situation doesn’t scream longevity to anyone.   Different story if we have a future QB or a lot deeper roster talent.  

The next HC hire is most likely a bridge hire.  No established O mind will take that as plan A.  It’s likely why Taylor is on the list he’s far from established and clearly not an ideal HC candidate this early in his career.  But I agree he’s the only guy with the ceiling to overhaul the O immediately and be able to stick long term.  The risk that he’s a flat out bust is a risk we’d have been nuts to entertain in 2017 after Kubiak but given our team’s situation it’s not at all crazy.  Risky for sure but it’s the only way to improve way ahead of our expected growth curve - and the alternatives don’t likely make us a whole lot better.  

But as much as Elway loved to gamble on Day 2 for the draft his list sure looks like a safe one other than Taylor.  I’d be pleasantly surprised if he went that route.   

Edited by Broncofan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...