LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

3 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:
2011 (Jets) - 20th
2012 (Jets) - 20th
2013 (Bills) - 20th
2018 (Packers) -22nd

These are Pettine's latest scoring defenses.  Can someone please tell me why in the world we are bringing him back? 

Indy spent $25M on their entire defense, yet they are top 10 in scoring.  It will be fun, yet again, to be talking about how we are in need of so many more players before we can have a decent defense.  Murphy wants to talk about complacency, he needs to look at himself.  He wants to give coaches chances that they haven't earned.  Looking forward to the defense blowing it again.

He did a masterful job considering the D was completely decimated by injury.  Stats don't always tell the story.  We'll be a top 10 defense next year if for once our players can stay healthy.  Completely behind Pettine.  Has the same philosophy as ML.  Adapt to the players you are given.  Keep it likable and learnable.  From the Ryan tree.  Very pleased when he was hired.  Give the man a chance before throwing him under the bus.  Pack made the right move in retaining him.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

Saw this fan quote over at CHTV. I think his observation is mostly correct. Its also quite telling that as soon as Pettine was confirmed to stay as defensive coordinator Whitt was the first one out of the door. You know what, I just wonder if he lobbied to LaFleur to give him a shot at coordinator? that would've made his position untenable with Pettine.

I especially agree with the part about receivers being left wide open far too many times. This has been a nasty reoccurance that vexed me over and over again in the past 4 or so years. Still cheeses me of thinking about the 10-15 yard cushions our corners often gave to receivers. I think tactically Whitt was lacking which reflected on the field with players not having a clue what to do at times. He wasn't able to teach/communicate to them clearly about what they were meant to do, to identify what went wrong and how to go about fixing it. In terms of technique he was probably very good at it- look at how he developed Shields. If he was tactically competent he would've made Capers aware of the defensive shortcomings but nothing was ever fixed. I also felt he did not do enough getting into Capers ear regarding Randall, Hayward and Hyde which makes me question his player evaluation competence. He sees these guys every day and he should've known we were not using them right.

Complacency was creeping in, nothing was improving, no-one was being made accountable. Like McCarthy and Capers I think Whitt played a part in that role too.

I don't buy it for one second that the it was the front office and not Pettine that had a hand in firing him. That is not how our team operates - we're far too professional for our departments to overstep their bounds. It was almost certainly 100% Pettine decision and of course with LaFleur's backing.

This is kind of what I have been wondering about as well.

For a while now, I have been impressed how the defensive backfield seemed to play worse than the sum of the parts, with communication failures and inappropriate adjustments to plays.  At first I thought it might be issues between individual players necessitating send Randall to a different team, or the safeties not on the same page with the corners which they adjusted by releasing Darren Perry and putting everyone under Joe Whitt.

Seems like those changes didn't fix it as we saw in the red zone this year, so they send HaHa packing.  

All of these adjustments were for naught.  At some point, when you keep getting new players, and eliminating the safeties coach, and get a new DC, and the stuff keeps happening, then maybe it becomes time to put a new coach in for that position?

I don't know enough to have a strong opinion- it may be that if they stayed put that the new talent would develop and play better.  Just seemed to me we weren't getting a level of play that I would expect for the level of talent that we had.

10 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Everybody remembers 4th and 26, but Donatell's defenses forced lots of turnovers in GB if I recall correctly.  

I still don't have a handle on whether Donatell being fired after that debacle made sense.  It was the perfect coverage call for what the Eagles ran, which was great.  Unfortunately, somewhere around 4 GB players totally screwed up there assignments on the play, which was not so great.

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

He did a masterful job considering the D was completely decimated by injury.  Stats don't always tell the story.  We'll be a top 10 defense next year if for once our players can stay healthy.  Completely behind Pettine.  Has the same philosophy as ML.  Adapt to the players you are given.  Keep it likable and learnable.  From the Ryan tree.  Very pleased when he was hired.  Give the man a chance before throwing him under the bus.  Pack made the right move in retaining him.

Hmm, I hope so.  I just think that everyone is wearing rose colored shades now that we have someone besides Capers.  3 of his last 4 red zone defenses were in the bottom half of the league.  That's a direct reflection of coaching.   And we weren't decimated with injuries when we were dismantled by CJ Beathard.  We were outcoached.

Donatell was fired because he, perhaps ahead of his time, emphasized turnovers and a bend but don’t break philosophy. We were bad against the run and our ability against the pass was dependent on players. 4th and 26 was indicative of the lack of pass rush and soft coverage that was the core of his defense. There’s a reason we went to Bates who was known for bump and run, man defense with a strong timing for blitzes.

Rex Ryan’s tree’s DC’s are all about stopping opposite team’s offense when game is on the line and give ball to offense.

Take any game that we had lost this year.. 

@DET

@WAS

@LAR

@NE etc 

His defense always stopped opposite team offense and put the ball in AROD’s hands. It’s just that offense was so bad we lost the games. This is what this needs!..

His 3rd down stops percentage is damn impressive too...

26 minutes ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

Hmm, I hope so.  I just think that everyone is wearing rose colored shades now that we have someone besides Capers.  3 of his last 4 red zone defenses were in the bottom half of the league.  That's a direct reflection of coaching.   And we weren't decimated with injuries when we were dismantled by CJ Beathard.  We were outcoached.

I am really confused.  Are you a Packers fan or a Titans fan like you said the other day?

Given how Gute approached last off season, I think the prudent interpretation was that we were in a rebuild, and it would take some time to bring the defense up to speed, given that we went with a very young secondary, and no relief for a thin OLB/edge position.  Despite that there were positives that came out of the season.  The 49ers game was early, and with a new system and young players.  Yes, they had a bad game.  Was it unexpected that they would have bad games going in to the season?  I would say no.  It would have been unrealistic to say otherwise when you look a personnel and coaching changes going in.

I hear what you are saying about scoring defense. That being said, change for change sake is not a good idea.  A team should make changes when it is clear they can improve things.  So to move on from Pettine, one would have to have a target in mind that could clearly upgrade the defense, and do it quickly given that the window of Rogers is getting short.

Who would that be?  I don't know.  The issue is whether any of the guys who could work with the talent we can have in this window would be interested in the Green Bay job?  I would guess these issues were all discussed with the prospective candidates.  For whatever reason, the team decided it was best to go with Pettine's ideas.

5 hours ago, Patriotplayer90 said:
2011 (Jets) - 20th
2012 (Jets) - 20th
2013 (Bills) - 20th
2018 (Packers) -22nd

These are Pettine's latest scoring defenses.  Can someone please tell me why in the world we are bringing him back? 

Indy spent $25M on their entire defense, yet they are top 10 in scoring.  It will be fun, yet again, to be talking about how we are in need of so many more players before we can have a decent defense.  Murphy wants to talk about complacency, he needs to look at himself.  He wants to give coaches chances that they haven't earned.  Looking forward to the defense blowing it again.

I do find it interesting that you chose to leave out that he and Rex had the #1 defense for yds and pts in 2009 with the Jets.  He clearly has experience with putting together a top defense.  Whether he can maintain a top defense would be an open question, but that gets into where a team puts resources and focus once the defense reaches the top, and that can be difficult to evaluate.

See I just don't see the need to let good coaches like Whitt or Campen go because you can't hire anyone anymore, you'll just get blocked. If LaFleur really liked the assistant OL coach in Tennessee, sure let Campen go and get your guy, but now a days you'll just be blocked.

We saw last year that the FA crop of coaches usually is a few gems (like I think Monken is) and a whole lot of mediocre. That staff Shanny is building in SF sounds legit, but you can't promote any of them because he's blocking them all.

28 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We're interviewing Monken for OC? Damn, that would be ideal as hell. I know he wouldn't call plays but LaFleur, Monken and Rodgers in the same room would be legit. 

Yeah .. they need to pay up a bit and get Monken.  I'm sure he wants a play calling gig, so I don't like our chances.  A non-playcalling OC job is no way to get head coaching interviews.

Archived