LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Are you honestly suggesting GB hasn't spent adequate draft capital on the secondary?

Whitt once seemed like an up and comer and perhaps a change of scenery will do both him and the Packers some good.

But he has been the coach in charge of some truly bad CB/DB play for many years now.

While the poor defensive backfield play has undoubtedly been mostly due to poor personnel decisions, Whitt has not exactly gotten the most out of an admittedly motley group.

The much needed and overdue organizational-wide PURGE that began last offseason continues in earnest. 

Bravo.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Whitt and Pettine worked well together, the source said, and it’s likely the decision to fire Whitt was made by the front office.”

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2019/01/11/packers-dismiss-defensive-pass-game-coordinator-joe-whitt-jr/2553966002/

Uhh come agian? 

That’s troublesome if true. I get if you want to remove all “McCarthy ‘s guy” so there is no issue moving forward.

but let Pettine make that call.

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

Yeah I knew that....

So "Pass Game Coordinator" was just some (stupid) new fangled way to describe the same grouping of functions?

Formerly he'd been the CB coach, right, and Perry the safeties coach?  

I thought last year his "promotion" put him over both groups, and they hired or promoted somebody else to be the "CB" coach, no?  So, perhaps the move broadened Whitt's authority, but maybe reduced his hands-on work with the corners?  

Also possible, of course, that they thought there were too many layers of coaches, and instead of having corners, safeties, and secondary, they'll go back to having just two guys instead of three?  Beats me.  

12 minutes ago, Green19 said:

That’s troublesome if true. I get if you want to remove all “McCarthy ‘s guy” so there is no issue moving forward.

but let Pettine make that call.

May also be that they've done a lot of consulting with the players and exit interviews, and with the Players Advisory Council, and made an informed decision?  For all we know, Whitt may have been perceived to be on the "complacency" or "not holding players accountable" list?  Who knows what the motivation was.  But it may have been more nuanced than "MM guy"?   

11 minutes ago, craig said:

Formerly he'd been the CB coach, right, and Perry the safeties coach?  

I thought last year his "promotion" put him over both groups, and they hired or promoted somebody else to be the "CB" coach, no?  So, perhaps the move broadened Whitt's authority, but maybe reduced his hands-on work with the corners?  

Also possible, of course, that they thought there were too many layers of coaches, and instead of having corners, safeties, and secondary, they'll go back to having just two guys instead of three?  Beats me.  

I dont know.

At this stage I'm gonna see how things come out in the wash.

One of the things Murphy emphasized in the press conference was LaFleur’s success despite injuries this year at Tennessee. I believe that McCarthy’s lack of success with Hundley and the WRs this year were a huge reason for his firing. I also believe that Whitt, while succeeding some seasons despite injuries, really dropped the ball the past two seasons. 

19 minutes ago, craig said:

May also be that they've done a lot of consulting with the players and exit interviews, and with the Players Advisory Council, and made an informed decision?  For all we know, Whitt may have been perceived to be on the "complacency" or "not holding players accountable" list?  Who knows what the motivation was.  But it may have been more nuanced than "MM guy"?   

Very well could be. Like I get it 100% if Pettine wanted to get his guy. But the article framed it like hey Pettine worked fine with him... it’s a front office decision... gives it a weird undertone.

Not saying it’s not a well informed decision, just troublesome if the front office is more than just a fancy way of saying LaFleur. Because I’m assuming he will have full control over the coaches hired... like McCarthy.

From Silverstein’s post:

"Whitt and Pettine worked well together, the source said, and it’s likely the decision to fire Whitt was made by the front office.

-Depending upon who the “source” is, I’d question how much he/she really knows about Pettine’s relationship with Whitt.

-There’s also a disclaimer in that the quote states, “...it’s likely the decision to fire Whitt was made by the front office.

-I think the Packer “front office” would be willing to take the heat for dismissing Whitt, rather than implicitly throwing Pettine under the bus the day they’ve officially announced he’ll  continue as DC. Bottom line for me is that we may never know for sure.

But as I stated in a previous post, I think it will be quite interesting to see what kind of professional interest JW garners from other teams. That to me will be a true indicator of how he’s viewed among his current NFL peers.

Archived