LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

8 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

But as I stated in a previous post, I think it will be quite interesting to see what kind of professional interest JW garners from other teams. That to me will be a true indicator of how he’s viewed among his current NFL peers.

To an extent, this is obviously true - depending on job openings.

16 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

From Silverstein’s post:

"Whitt and Pettine worked well together, the source said, and it’s likely the decision to fire Whitt was made by the front office.

-Depending upon who the “source” is, I’d question how much he/she really knows about Pettine’s relationship with Whitt.

-There’s also a disclaimer in that the quote states, “...it’s likely the decision to fire Whitt was made by the front office.

-I think the Packer “front office” would be willing to take the heat for dismissing Whitt, rather than implicitly throwing Pettine under the bus the day they’ve officially announced he’ll  continue as DC. Bottom line for me is that we may never know for sure.

But as I stated in a previous post, I think it will be quite interesting to see what kind of professional interest JW garners from other teams. That to me will be a true indicator of how he’s viewed among his current NFL peers.

I am not sure why the front office would fire Joe Whitt if Pettine thought he was doing a good job and wanted him to stay.  I question where Silverstein is coming from on this one, and who the source was, and what the source's level of access was.

10 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I am not sure why the front office would fire Joe Whitt if Pettine thought he was doing a good job and wanted him to stay.  I question where Silverstein is coming from on this one, and who the source was, and what the source's level of access was.

I absolutely agree!

24 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

I know Ed Donatell has been a Vic Fangio DB guy for quite some time... However, after losing Whitt I wouldn't mind that being a target of ours.

Everybody remembers 4th and 26, but Donatell's defenses forced lots of turnovers in GB if I recall correctly.  

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Everybody remembers 4th and 26, but Donatell's defenses forced lots of turnovers in GB if I recall correctly.  

Donatell fell on the sword for the 4th and 26 play but it was Sharper’s fault.  They were in Cover 2, Nick Barnett was assigned to short coverage and bit on the tight end.  Freddie Mitchell ran a slant route and Sharper went for the interception instead of trying to break up the play.  Donatell was fired and the rest is history.  I have to think he probably still has a bitter taste in his mouth about GB over that situation.

2011 (Jets) - 20th
2012 (Jets) - 20th
2013 (Bills) - 20th
2018 (Packers) -22nd

These are Pettine's latest scoring defenses.  Can someone please tell me why in the world we are bringing him back? 

Indy spent $25M on their entire defense, yet they are top 10 in scoring.  It will be fun, yet again, to be talking about how we are in need of so many more players before we can have a decent defense.  Murphy wants to talk about complacency, he needs to look at himself.  He wants to give coaches chances that they haven't earned.  Looking forward to the defense blowing it again.

7 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I know Ed Donatell has been a Vic Fangio DB guy for quite some time... However, after losing Whitt I wouldn't mind that being a target of ours.

Really, I think people have nightmares with old Ed Donatells defense in Green Bay... Why take on an old retread coordinator from the Packers as a DB coach?

Saw this fan quote over at CHTV. I think his observation is mostly correct. Its also quite telling that as soon as Pettine was confirmed to stay as defensive coordinator Whitt was the first one out of the door. You know what, I just wonder if he lobbied to LaFleur to give him a shot at coordinator? that would've made his position untenable with Pettine.

I think it’s possible Whitt was given the title last year to placate him after losing out on the DC job. It may have been Pettine agreed to a one year audition, and didn’t like what he saw. IMO there were far too many times in recent years, receivers and tight ends were left running wide open in the Packers’ secondary. It could be, Whitt was a great teacher of fundamentals, but not X’s and O’s. Hopefully he lands on his feet somewhere.

I especially agree with the part about receivers being left wide open far too many times. This has been a nasty reoccurance that vexed me over and over again in the past 4 or so years. Still cheeses me of thinking about the 10-15 yard cushions our corners often gave to receivers. I think tactically Whitt was lacking which reflected on the field with players not having a clue what to do at times. He wasn't able to teach/communicate to them clearly about what they were meant to do, to identify what went wrong and how to go about fixing it. In terms of technique he was probably very good at it- look at how he developed Shields. If he was tactically competent he would've made Capers aware of the defensive shortcomings but nothing was ever fixed. I also felt he did not do enough getting into Capers ear regarding Randall, Hayward and Hyde which makes me question his player evaluation competence. He sees these guys every day and he should've known we were not using them right.

Complacency was creeping in, nothing was improving, no-one was being made accountable. Like McCarthy and Capers I think Whitt played a part in that role too.

I don't buy it for one second that the it was the front office and not Pettine that had a hand in firing him. That is not how our team operates - we're far too professional for our departments to overstep their bounds. It was almost certainly 100% Pettine decision and of course with LaFleur's backing.

41 minutes ago, Chili said:

Saw this fan quote over at CHTV. I think his observation is mostly correct. Its also quite telling that as soon as Pettine was confirmed to stay as defensive coordinator Whitt was the first one out of the door. You know what, I just wonder if he lobbied to LaFleur to give him a shot at coordinator? that would've made his position untenable with Pettine.

I especially agree with the part about receivers being left wide open far too many times. This has been a nasty reoccurance that vexed me over and over again in the past 4 or so years. Still cheeses me of thinking about the 10-15 yard cushions our corners often gave to receivers. I think tactically Whitt was lacking which reflected on the field with players not having a clue what to do at times. He wasn't able to teach/communicate to them clearly about what they were meant to do, to identify what went wrong and how to go about fixing it. In terms of technique he was probably very good at it- look at how he developed Shields. If he was tactically competent he would've made Capers aware of the defensive shortcomings but nothing was ever fixed. I also felt he did not do enough getting into Capers ear regarding Randall, Hayward and Hyde which makes me question his player evaluation competence. He sees these guys every day and he should've known we were not using them right.

Complacency was creeping in, nothing was improving, no-one was being made accountable. Like McCarthy and Capers I think Whitt played a part in that role too.

I don't buy it for one second that the it was the front office and not Pettine that had a hand in firing him. That is not how our team operates - we're far too professional for our departments to overstep their bounds. It was almost certainly 100% Pettine decision and of course with LaFleur's backing.

IDK, Murphy... I feel sorry for Gute.

10 hours ago, Green19 said:

Very well could be. Like I get it 100% if Pettine wanted to get his guy. But the article framed it like hey Pettine worked fine with him... it’s a front office decision... gives it a weird undertone.

Not saying it’s not a well informed decision, just troublesome if the front office is more than just a fancy way of saying LaFleur. Because I’m assuming he will have full control over the coaches hired... like McCarthy.

It’s also possible that Petine had another guy in mind for the position last year and MM convinced him to keep Witt on. Now that MM is gone Petine would prefer other for that spot. 

7 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Donatell fell on the sword for the 4th and 26 play but it was Sharper’s fault.  They were in Cover 2, Nick Barnett was assigned to short coverage and bit on the tight end.  Freddie Mitchell ran a slant route and Sharper went for the interception instead of trying to break up the play.  Donatell was fired and the rest is history.  I have to think he probably still has a bitter taste in his mouth about GB over that situation.

I know we talked about 4th and 26 in another thread yesterday and ironically I found out yesterday was the 15th anniversary of that play.

Archived