LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

18 minutes ago, Fox_NFLs_GG said:

Whitt was good at teaching individual technique but not coverage.

Seems like he got along with really talented players. His biggest success is surely Shields, and brought Tramon along too as an UDFA.

But he hasn't had that kind of success in half a decade, either.

I agree, should've kept him on as a positional coach. He got a lot out of some of these UDFA's that were having to fill in in a pinch as well despite the lack of sustained success they had compared to Shields and the first half of Tramon's career.

Ever hear the phrase "you're only as strong as the weakest link"?

Every element of the coaching staff, the head coach and GM need to function properly to have any chance of success.If one starts failing it will start to affect the other links. If a position coach isn't doing a good enough job coaching and teaching those players it will create a knock on, a ripple effect throughout the team. Other positions might start overcompensating for their weak link and that will make them vulnerable. Good NFL teams will exploit that weakness.

That's just one example. Another example might be the coordinator not adjusting to injuries or the talent level of the team. A star player might be injured so a rookie has to step up but he cannot do all the things that the star player can do so any good coordinator worth their salt would make tactical adjustments to hide the weakness as much as possible. Maybe a coordinator is doing a poor job analysing his players, playing them out of position and feeding back bad info that goes up the chain ultimately leading to the player eventually leaving for FA because we didn't think he was good enough.

My point is everybody is responsible for their roles, their actions and decisions. When one is weak the result can be fatal. In our case unfortunately we had far too many weak links and it was almost impossible to overcome. We should not be absolving Whitt of any blame, he as well as the other coaches, Capers, McCarthy and Thompson are all responsible for the complacency that crept into this organisation.

I'm not surprised at all that we're clearing house from top to bottom.

21 minutes ago, Chili said:

Ever hear the phrase "you're only as strong as the weakest link"?

Huh, no. Did you just come up with this? I like it!

It's because a chain is a buncha links all 'chained' together i suppose, so the weakest link along the chain will be the point of failure, rendering the entire function of the assembly as strong...as the weakest link!

On a related but different subject, does anyone have a firm handle on what Whitt's weekly responsibilities were as the passing game coordinator?  I assume his primary responsibility was to design a game plan to defend the weekly opponent in the passing game.  It makes me wonder how much overlap their was with Pettine's own desire to design that game plan.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

On a related but different subject, does anyone have a firm handle on what Whitt's weekly responsibilities were as the passing game coordinator?  I assume his primary responsibility was to design a game plan to defend the weekly opponent in the passing game.  It makes me wonder how much overlap their was with Pettine's own desire to design that game plan.

Personally I find this Pass Game Coordinator title a bit odd.
Sound more associated with the offense than defense.

What happened to Secondary Coach?

Whats the functional difference?

27 minutes ago, Joe said:

I agree, should've kept him on as a positional coach. He got a lot out of some of these UDFA's that were having to fill in in a pinch as well despite the lack of sustained success they had compared to Shields and the first half of Tramon's career.

Given that Pettine is returning as DC, would Whitt have accepted what I assume would be a demotion from "Passing Game Coordinator" to DB coach?  If Whitt is now the DB coach, does GB then release the old DB coach Jason Simmons?

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Given that Pettine is returning as DC, would Whitt have accepted what I assume would be a demotion from "Passing Game Coordinator" to DB coach?  If Whitt is now the DB coach, does GB then release the old DB coach Jason Simmons?

That's where it gets sticky. However, new coordinator, new this and that. I would hope Whitt wouldn't have looked at it as a demotion.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Whitt was the DB coach. Simmons was an assistant. Don't let the titles fool you. Pass game coordinator was just a goofy Mac title.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Whitt was the DB coach. Simmons was an assistant. Don't let the titles fool you. Pass game coordinator was just a goofy Mac title.

Defining Whitt's actual role on the staff is part of what makes his release harder to judge for me.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I believe the idea was to have one voice in the room. Too often our Safeties and Corners aren’t on the same page.

Whitt, as pass game coordinator, was tasked with making sure that wasn’t the case. So like the S and CB started having meetings together, etc.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Are you saying you think it's reasonable to think that maybe the never ending busted coverage problems in the secondary may point to a problem with the individuals who were coaching the secondary.?  Is that thinking too black and white?

Could be.   Seems many here bring an agenda with them and like to associate positions to others to feed their own argument.   This was an excellent example of this.  Nowhere did I make any statement that Capers and Pettine carry no burden for the failures in pass defense, that it was only on Whitt.   Yet somehow this was assigned to me, and then allowed an accusation of black and white thinking.   Some people protest too much.

I have been speaking out against Capers since 2012, but now am absolving him of blame?    The real point is that given the duration of Whitt's tenure in GB, and the performance of his units it is illogical to assume he was doing a great job.     He certainly was effected by the talent level, the overall defensive scheme, and his own skills.    When players fail to develop, and high picks consistently bust out, it is reasonable to blame the GM, the defensive coordinator, and the passing game coordinator.  We replaced the GM and defensive coordinator.  It makes sense to replace the position coach as well.  Hitting on shields and Williams 10 years ago doesn't make me forget all of the players since that have failed.

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

Personally I find this Pass Game Coordinator title a bit odd.
Sound more associated with the offense than defense.

What happened to Secondary Coach?

Whats the functional difference?

Agree the name is counter-intuitive.  It should be called Pass Defense Coordinator (PDC), and the Packers need to fix it PDQ.

Archived