LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

If this staff works out, I will know in the future not to bother paying attention to coaching/staff hires.  Leaving Pettine and the defense out of it, none of the offensive staff coming to GB are guys who would have been on any list of mine.

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

This is going to be either spectacularly good or spectacularly bad. 

The good comes from these coaches assembled are young, should be able to relate to players and maybe do the whole millennial thing and be open and considerate blah blah. Fundamentally letting Aaron does his thing and let Pet run the defence.

The bad is I have never seen such an inexperienced group of coaches assembled, particularly the offence. There is no old head around to bounce things off. No balance. No ying and yang. Look at Arizona, young head coach but experienced DC and looking like Hue Jackson as OC,  as well as the rest of the staff being old hands.

It is a question of what wins, new young ideas, or is the lack of experience going to be very telling.

The only guy he hired that lacked experience was Stenavich. Everyone else he hired so far has been around the league for a long time.

Hackett is entering his 10th NFL season, his 4th as coordinator. That's not insignificant.

Sirmans is entering his 7th NFL season as a RB coach and he seems to find success bringing out the best of nearly everyone he coached.

Angelichio is also entering his 7th NFL season.

The new LB coach, Oliviadotti is entering his 15th NFL season,  his 9th as an LB coach. Amazingly I think he's a year younger than both Sirmans and Angelicho.

LaFleur himself is entering is 11th NFL season. He has Pettine to lean on as well with 16 years of NFL experience with lots of coordinating experience and 2 years as a head coach.

So far when looking from that perspective we should be ok in terms of NFL experience. We have been linked with other experienced coaches such as Darren Rizzi and Karl Dorrell so maybe something will come out of that. Yes we don't have as many former head coaches and coordinators as we like but there's something to be said for new fresh ideas, fewer bad habits and better flexibility among our coaching staff. A former head coach may only do things the way he knows that brought him success in the past but may be too rigid to try new things. Hue Jackson for example has very bad thought processes and opinions and he would be a terrible sounding board for a younger head coach.

59 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I always heard the C student is often the better teacher than the A student.

True. Pollack was a C student himself was he not? He didn't have much of an NFL career either and he went on to have a solid NFL coaching career.

Because he is older he is naturally further along as a coach - more experienced and established. Logically he should've been our OL hire but for whatever reason we didn't go with him whether it's personality, fit, scheme, salary - who knows?.

Stenavich obviously isn't but like every single coach in the NFL he needs to be given a chance to show his coaching chops- they all gotta start somewhere. The good news is the fit is very good for him here. Knows LaFleur, knows ZBS, Wisconsinite, Former Packers practice squad guy. It's like the stars have aligned for Stenavich. Strangely this gives me a certain level of comfort knowing those facts. There's very few former players/current coaches available who knows the Gibbs/Shanahan ZBS. Literally it was just Pollack and Stenavich on the market and LaFleur went with Stenavich. He took what was available to him and made an informed decision after interviewing both. Nothing wrong with that.

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

I always heard the C student is often the better teacher than the A student.

Not to belabor the point, but for years our high school coach was a former Big Ten football player—a starter on multiple bowl winning teams. He knows all there is to know about football, but he knew diddly about teaching and motivating. I suspect his coaching record was something like 20 wins to 80 losses.

Dang. I went and belabored the point anyway.

I don’t expect much from the new regime other than some good, competitive entertainment. Bring on the kids. 

21 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Still no word on where Rizzi is ending up and ST coordinator is the biggest shoe left to fill. Hopefully he picks us.

I have to think it's not a good sign that GB had the first shot at him, talked to him for two days, and he left without a deal.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I have to think it's not a good sign that GB had the first shot at him, talked to him for two days, and he left without a deal.

Not when you're clearly in hiring mode. Dont know exactly whats going on in GB weather-wise, but bringing folks into town during an Artic blast might not be the best of circumstances either: "Gee.....I've got to sell the wife and kids on this?"  :)

Archived