LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

Just now, TheBitzMan said:

Dammit...Please don't go to Minny, Zimmer is an OC killer. 

He will want to call plays which he won't here so I don't expect him to be our OC, but a guy can dream. 

Wait......am I missing something here?
This is about Monken right? Well....didnt Zimmer just force out an OC cause he wasnt running the ball enough?
How does hiring Monken from the "pass on every down possible" Tampa Bay Buccaneers supposed to make sense?

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Wait......am I missing something here?
This is about Monken right? Well....didnt Zimmer just force out an OC cause he wasnt running the ball enough?
How does hiring Monken from the "pass on every down possible" Tampa Bay Buccaneers supposed to make sense?

If Stefanski goes to the Browns as an OC with Kitchens, Zimmer could be out of choices. I do agree that it seems like a terrible fit on paper though. 

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Word has it that McVay really went to bat for LaFleur ... perhaps he'll allow one or two of his underlings to follow LaFleur to Green Bay .. or maybe Kyle Shanahan will make someone available.  LaFleur has friends in high places who would like to see him succeed.

I like this.  But I'm also cognizant that part of the reason they want LaFleur to succeed is selfishly motivated.  He's an apple from their tree, and their stock rises when their spawn is successful. 

Ok here's my attempt to identify potential offensive coaching candidates. I will be focusing only on Shanahan, McVay, LaFleur connections otherwise it will just take too long. LaFleur may not have a connection to a particular candidate directly but instead via Shanahan and McVay. I will only list those who are available or could be potentially available. 

OC: Randy Jordan (Redskins), Wes Phillips (Redskins), Shane Waldron (Rams), Dave Ragone (Bears), Zac Taylor (Rams), Aaron Kromer (Rams), Pat O'Hara (Titans), Dowell Loggains (Miami), Mike LaFleur (49ers), Rich Scangarello (49ers), Mike McDaniel (49ers), Gary Kubaik (Broncos)

QB: Jake Peez (Alabama), Liam Coen (Rams), Jedd Fisch (Rams), Tim Berbenich (Oakland), T.C. McCartney (49ers), Jeremy Bates (Jets), John Shoop (Purdue)

OL: Chris Morgan (Falcons), Kevin Carberry (Stanford), Andy Dickerson (Rams), Zac Kromer (Rams), Keith Carter (Titans), Mike Sullivan (Titans)Adam Stenavich (49er), Frank Pollack (Bengals)

WR: Keenan McCardell (Jags), Ike Hilliard (Redskins), Rob Moore (Titans), Luke Steckel (Titans), Katie Sowers (49ers), Taylor Embree (49ers)

TE: Shane Day (Miami), Arthur Smith (Titans), Brian Angelichio (Packers), Brian Pariani (FA), Scott Brooker (Titans)

RB: Tony Dews (Titans), Tony Alford (Ohio State)

ST: Brett Munsey (Redskins), Tyrone McKenzie (Titans), Matt Daniels (Rams), Matt Edwards (Titans), Keith Armstrong (Falcons),  Shawn Mennega (Vanderbilt), Stan Kwan (49ers), Michael Clay (49ers), Dwayne Stukes (Giants)

Key:

Normal Text: Direct LaFleur connection

Red - McVay

Green - Shanahan

SUMMARY:

Lots of unknown names here. I don't think we're short of OC candidates. Mike McDaniel is a name that keeps popping up, it appears he followed Shanahan everywhere he went and he also knows LaFleur too. LaFleur knows Wes Phillips, the son of Wade and is a TE coach for the Redskins. If Zac Taylor lands a HC job then Waldron or Ragone could be very interesting OC candidates for us. With Gase leaving Miami Loggains could be free for a coordinator/QB coach. Gary Kubaik is clearly the most accomplished but I don't think Denver is letting him go. Raheem Morris is a name that also keep popping up but i've left him off the list because I don't think he would be making a lateral move.

Interestingly we got a woman who is the offensive assistant at the 49ers and will be familiar with LaFleur from Atlanta, the next step for her is to be a position coach. I wonder if LaFleur will take a punt?

Whilst looking at the offence there is one defensive name that popped up - Marquand Manuel who was with us for one season as a player. He has just been fired as Atlanta defensive coordinator and he has a direct connection to LaFleur, a good opportunity to bring a former coordinator as a position coach.

As for everyone else...absolutely no idea. I haven't even explored any Gary Kubaik connections. It was him that gave LaFleur his first shot in the NFL- you can bet he will be calling him up for any recommendations. Mike Shanahan as well, Dan Quinn, Jim Haslett, Richard Smith, Dean Pees.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

One thing that has me concerned, does LaFleur have enough NFL experience to assemble a strength and conditioning staff? I sure as hell hope ours is purged from Lambeau.

OC, QB Coach, WR coach, LBs coach, ST coach, S&C staff absolutely need to be replaced. If we keep the rest of our staff in place, I'm OK.

Absolutely agree on all of those staff changes; get r done! 

34 minutes ago, blankman0021 said:

Here's the last 6 teams and last decade of coaches LaFluer has been with. I'd assume he'd likely bring some of these people aboard. It'll be interesting to see which he tries to, and if any are let out of their current contracts to do so. 

1) Tennessee Titans (2018)
Offensive coordinator

Offensive coaches

Defensive coaches

Special teams coaches

Strength and conditioning

2) Los Angeles Rams (2017)
Offensive coordinator

Offensive coaches

Defensive coaches

Special teams coaches

3) Atlanta Falcons (2015–2016)
Quarterbacks coach

Offensive coaches

Defensive coaches

Special teams coaches

Coaching Support Staff

4) Notre Dame (2014)
Quarterbacks coach

Coaching staff

Name Position Year at Notre Dame Alma mater (Year)
Brian Kelly Head coach 5th Assumption (1982)
Mike Denbrock Offensive coordinator/wide receivers 5th Grand Valley State (1987)
Brian VanGorder Defensive coordinator/inside linebackers 1st Wayne State (1980)
Harry Hiestand Offensive line/run game coordinator 3rd East Stroudsburg (1983)
Scott Booker Tight ends/special teams coordinator 3rd Kent State (2003)
Tony Alford Running backs/recruiting coordinator 6th Colorado State (1992)
Kerry Cooks Defensive backs 5th Iowa (2000)
Mike Elston Defensive line 5th Michigan (1998)
Bob Elliott Outside linebackers 3rd Iowa (1976)
Matt LaFleur Quarterbacks 1st Saginaw Valley State (2002)
Paul Longo Director of football strength and conditioning 5th Wayne State (1981)

5) Washington Redskins (2010–2013)
Quarterbacks coach

Offensive coaches

Defensive coaches

Special teams coaches

6) Houston Texans (2008–2009)
Offensive quality control coach

Offensive coaches

Defensive coaches

Special teams coaches

Wow .. impressive work.  Thanks for the info.

Any ties to either Mike Kafka or Josh McNown?  I can not find that LaFleur was ever at the same place and time as one of the other.  However, maybe one of them has a tie through other coaches.  I feel that both will be up and coming coaches.  

6 minutes ago, 66fan said:

Any ties to either Mike Kafka or Josh McNown?  I can not find that LaFleur was ever at the same place and time as one of the other.  However, maybe one of them has a tie through other coaches.  I feel that both will be up and coming coaches.  

McCown is said to be a great person and a sharp guy as well.  He apparently is such a positive person that people initially think he's fake, but then quickly figure out he's completely genuine.  It's nice to have guys around that always have a sunny disposition.

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Outpost is said to be a great person and a sharp guy as well.  He apparently is such a positive person that people initially think he's fake, but then quickly figure out he's completely genuine.  It's nice to have guys around that always have a sunny disposition.

Fixed it for yah.  :D

I don't like the quiet one way or another on Philbin.

He's a good guy, but we should be thanking him for his service, handing him a basket with a nice smoked ham and fresh fruit, and offering him a drive to the airport for his next OC interview.

Philbin

Zook

I’d be on-board with brining back Philbin under an Asst. HC or similar title. Some experience to help guide LaFleur through the hurdles of running an organization, he’s a guy who apparently has the team on his side and I feel like that could help a lot with keeping everyone on-board during the transition period. I wouldn’t hand him control over any part of the team but let him guide, mentor, and consult. Helps out with a lot of the more administrative duties and lets LaFleur focus on the football. 

It does my head in seeing several of people wanting us to keep Philbin. Why?

He's dull and unimaginative. He can be so easily upgraded.

We need a culture change and keeping him goes completely against that.

Rip of the band aid, thank you for your services, goodbye. Simples.

Give me Jeremy Bates OC/QBC for 500 please.  Give me Kevin Carberry OLC for 400.  Give me Luke Steckel WRC for 300, please.  I'll take Brian Angelichio TEC for 200.  Give me Tony Alford RBC for 100.  What is the new offensive coaching staff for LaFleur and his Green Bay Packers?

Archived