LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

I visited USD for college years ago. Seemed as if you couldn't have any fun unless you had frat letters on. Otherwise you'd be harassed by the cops all the time. Brookings wasn't much better...

Anyway, is the Mike Smith we hired to be OLB coach the same Mike Smith that was Atlanta's coach for awhile?

No ****? I find that surprising honestly. I had trouble up in Brookings though many times lol

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

No ****? I find that surprising honestly. I had trouble up in Brookings though many times lol

I knew a kid from Redfield, SD who hung out with the Independent strollers; he said the dean didn't care about his independent students but if you know where to go party quietly...

Vermillion had gotten a new police chief from Virginia a few months before I visited and in true by-the-book Virginian fashion, he clamped down on everything but wouldn't touch the frats apparently. The dean even worked with the frats so they stayed clean. We were going to a party one night and wound up turning around and running because we saw a ton of cops around the house we were headed to. Same thing happened the next night. We then went to the Beta house and they basically said that you needed to be wearing frat letters in order to fend off the cops. Made up some argument about them not being able to come onto private property and then bragged about it. I didn't particularly like a lot of them and their house was a dump. 

42 minutes ago, Joe said:

I visited USD for college years ago. Seemed as if you couldn't have any fun unless you had frat letters on. Otherwise you'd be harassed by the cops all the time. Brookings wasn't much better...

Having fun in Vermillion is basically impossible anyway. @Norm USD should be in Sioux Falls.

10 minutes ago, Chili said:

We now have 3 former Browns coaches on our staff, Pettine, Mennenga and Downard.

The Browns on the other hand have hired Campen, Whitt and Blasko.

Are we getting worse or are the Browns getting better?

Why would this be the only two options? I think both teams are going to be better next season.

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

We now have 3 former Browns coaches on our staff, Pettine, Mennenga and Downard.

The Browns on the other hand have hired Campen, Whitt and Blasko.

Are we getting worse or are the Browns getting better?

I think we got better looking 😂

This really got my attention.

every time the Packers have been in the SB they have had a top 8 special teams unit.

I did not research, but I am confidant this also holds true for every team in the league.

In other words, ST is probably just as important as DC and OC.

I hope that the Packers got the right guy for this very important job.

20 hours ago, 66fan said:

I feel that how special teams do is more of a reflection of the head coach more than the ST coach.  There needs to be a point of emphasis by the whole team that it is important.  Time needs to be dedicated to practicing and game planning for each game, it can not be an after thought and done after regular practice is over.  Coaching ST has to be difficult because of the constant changing and availability of players due to injury and players being active or inactive from week to week.  Just once it would be nice to execute a fake punt or onside kick.  How about putting a player in motion on a field goal attempt to see how the defense reacts (like when the Jets schooled us this year, we had no idea what to do.)  We can't just go through the motions in practice like we have appeared to in games.  Was Rizzi a good ST coach because he was the product of a coaching staff that emphasizes special teams or was the ST results of the Dolphins a product of Rizzi?

7 minutes ago, 66PinG said:

This really got my attention.

every time the Packers have been in the SB they have had a top 8 special teams unit.

I did not research, but I am confidant this also holds true for every team in the league.

In other words, ST is probably just as important as DC and OC.

I hope that the Packers got the right guy for this very important job.

It takes a dedication by everyone, not just the ST coach.  The DC and the OC need to be involved too.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Staff seems set, really hope LaFleur brings in a new strength and conditioning staff.

recent article talked about how the Rams go about their business on the S&C side and how it contributed to their overall health the last couple of seasons
MLF was exposed to that while he was in LA in 2017

Archived