LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

OC jobs in Minny, Denver and Atlanta gone.

Would looooooove if Monken came here. The mix of the Shannahan WC offense with the Air raid system would be an awesome meld.

I only see the Titans and Jets/Bengals/Dolphins depending on who they hire having playcalling OCs. There is a chance and Silverstein reported interest in bringing him. Would be a great offensive staff for next year. 

I don't think LaFleur is going make an unfamiliar coordinator hire - in other words someone who does not know his offence. I would be very surprised if he brought in an unfamiliar candidate. There's plenty of "big names" to choose from such as Dan Campbell, Gase, DeFilippo and Kafka. It's a moot point anyway as I know they won't come here because is not a playcalling gig,

I think we can safely rule out Zac Taylor, McVay will not let him go to a non-play calling gig.

We can rule out Dave Ragone as the Bears will block any move to their division rivals.

I think the top 4 coordinator candidates in no particular order are:

Wes Phillips (TE) - son of Wade Phillips. McVay worked with him at Washington, McVay hired his dad as defensive coordinator putting LaFleur in position to meet Wade and possibly even meeting Wes at some point. 

Shane Waldron  (QB) - LaFleur knows him from his time at Rams. If Zac Taylor stays at the Rams then he could be available. His resume is really thin but did manage to gain a head coach interview this year with the Benegals.

Dowell Loggains (OC) - He worked for Kyle Shanahan as the QB coach at Cleveland. Pettine is also familar with him. He had three separate gigs as coordinator at Tennessee, Chicago and Miami. With Gase fired I don't think his job is secure in Miami. I think he called plays at Tennessee and certainly called played at Chicago. He is clearly the most experienced out of the four candidates. He's probably the top choice on paper but his offences as coordinator has been uninspiring and I don't think LaFleur personally knows him so he will be relying on Shanahan and Pettine recommendations.

Mike McDaniel (ROC) - Followed Kyle Shanahan everywhere he went. At the moment he's only a run game coordinator whilst the passing game coordinator is LaFleur's brother. His brother has apparently ruled out coming here but what of Mike McDaniel? is he willing to try and step out of Kyle Shanahan shadow for the first time in his career? Will Shanahan be willing to let him go?

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What coordinator gigs are open around the league?

Here's the list. I think this is all of them...

Playcalling OCs:

• Titans
  • Dolphins (if reports are true about Richard)
  • Lions

Potential Playcalling OCs (depending on hire):

• Bengals
  • Jets

Non Playcalling OCs:

• Packers
  • Cardinals
  • Browns

DCs:

• Cardinals
  • Buccaneers
  • Bears
  • Browns
  • Jets
  • Dolphins
  • Bengals
  • Broncos

Just now, CWood21 said:

Has it been confirmed that LaFleur is calling plays?  I'd assume he would, but I don't think I saw that it was confirmed.

Reports say LaFleur pursued Zac Taylor as OC but McVay won't let him leave for a non playcalling position. So it has been assumed he will be calling the plays.

2 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Reports say LaFleur pursued Zac Taylor as OC but McVay won't let him leave for a non playcalling position. So it has been assumed he will be calling the plays.

I could have sworn that McVay said he wouldn't block any interviews.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I could have sworn that McVay said he wouldn't block any interviews.

Silverstein: It's unlikely Packers coach Matt LaFleur will get Rams QB coach Zac Taylor on his staff because Sean McVay wouldn't let him go for a non-play-calling OC position, a source said. McVay let LaFleur go because the Titans job included calling plays.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Silverstein: It's unlikely Packers coach Matt LaFleur will get Rams QB coach Zac Taylor on his staff because Sean McVay wouldn't let him go for a non-play-calling OC position, a source said. McVay let LaFleur go because the Titans job included calling plays.

It's still a step up from QB coach to Offensive coordinator .. I think Silverstein is speculating.  Shane Waldron the Rams TE and pass game coordinator should be in play as well.

6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's still a step up from QB coach to Offensive coordinator .. I think Silverstein is speculating.  Shane Waldron the Rams TE and pass game coordinator should be in play as well.

The step up rules only apply to assistants to head coaches. Head Coaches can block any assistant coach, no matter the title, from interviewing for another assistant coach job even if it is perceived as a promotion. 

McVay actually did LaFleur a solid by allowing him to go to the Titan's as a playcalling OC. 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

OC jobs in Minny, Denver and Atlanta gone.

Would looooooove if Monken came here. The mix of the Shannahan WC offense with the Air raid system would be an awesome meld.

Not sure LaFleur is interested in bringing in a guy from a different system.  Suspect he likes his system, and wants somebody who knows it well enough to teach it. 

Also not sure he's real interested in "air raid", given that he seems to be a relatively run-oriented guy.  (Obviously everybody throws more than 50%, but MLF seems to want to be somewhat on the run-oriented side of average...)

I may be wrong, of course.  A smart, confident guy would like to have all the ideas and expertise that he can get.  So if MLF is expert in one system, and he brings in a smart guy with expertise from another, I'd like to think they could talk and think and discuss together, and come out drawing the best features of both systems.  My all accounts thus far MLF is not an ego guy and is a smart analyst and listener.  So, if Monken came in with some great ideas, I'd like to think MLF is smart enough and receptive enough to listen with great interest.  If Monken has ideas/principles that are really good, MLF should welcome that and be persuadable.  And if MLF has some ideas/principles that are really good, Monken should be happy to buy in and be able to use and teach those.  Likewise if MLF has some ideas/principles that maybe aren't all that great, being willing to have a smart guy like Monken analyze them and look for any flaws or weaknesses would also be great.  And then I'd like to have a really smart guy like Rodgers looking at each of those ideas, too.  Maybe a 3rd set of eyes to see flaws is great.  If there are ideas/plays and neither MLF, Monken, nor Rodgers sees any problems, you might have some really good plays going....

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah, I don't think McVay is going to block everyone when you consider his comments about letting people get opportunities, etc.

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

No offense, but I hate this thread. 

I knew next to nothing about most of the head coaching candidates and even less about position coaches.

Don't feel bad, about 99% of us are in the same boat as you, but we just fake it!  LOL!!!  It's ok, be you!

Archived