LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Have you been on a football team before?

Yes.  But lets get back to your point.  Any coach, Oline included, are paid to observe, evaluate, instruct, and motivate.  Being a jerk is not in the job description, nor is it even implied.  I know you were a coach, and I know what you're getting at, but I disagree that being a jerk in general is productive - not even in isolated situations.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm all for people being somewhat of a jerk to get results, but permanently benching someone to attend their murdered family member's funeral isn't being a jerk, it's being dumb, poor leader, and general *******.

I'm not saying that is necessarily saying that is what occurred. But if it did, he's an idiot.  

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with any of that, but it doesn't take him off my list.

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm all for people being somewhat of a jerk to get results, but permanently benching someone to attend their murdered family member's funeral isn't being a jerk, it's being dumb, poor leader, and general *******.

I'm not saying that is necessarily saying that is what occurred. But if it did, he's an idiot.  

I bet what happened is that Guge was so distraught McDaniels ditched him, his life just completely fell apart and he took it out on that poor OLman who was briefly unemployed and had to relocate.

Another life ruined by JMD.

What's the count up to now @SSG?

10 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Yes.  But lets get back to your point.  Any coach, Oline included, are paid to observe, evaluate, instruct, and motivate.  Being a jerk is not in the job description, nor is it even implied.  I know you were a coach, and I know what you're getting at, but I disagree that being a jerk in general is productive - not even in isolated situations.

Ok you're taking this way too literally.

The big boys in the game are wired differently. They hit people every play and are 320+ pound mammoths. You've got to be on them and ride them hard, they can get out of shape on you fast and they need a bit of a nut job cause quite frankly most of them are a bit goofed in the head. Most line coaches are no BS, in your face type guys cause that gets results.

This OL shares this story and Nelson comes out and says nothing happened, so the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Yes this guy should've been granted time to see his family, but if he comes back out of shape or unfocused life has to go on for that coach, he's not being graded as a counselor, it's how his line performs. 

1 hour ago, blueswedeshoes said:

I will count this as good news!

I am still shocked that there has been so little activity on the defensive side of the ball vis a vis assistant coaches.

I think that can be partly explained - most of the people he directly knows are already employed and thus unlikely to leave. Also got quite a few DL coaches on his list when we already got Jerry Montgomery. His pool is very limited unfortunately.

Aaron Glenn (DB New Orleans)

TONY TUIOTI (DL Cal Bears)

Jeff Hafley (Coord/DB Ohio State)

Jason Rebrovich (DL Jacksonville)

Donnie Henderson (Coord Salt Lake AAF)

Karl Dunbar (DL Steelers)

Anthony Weaver (DL Houston)

Mark Carrier (DB not coached since 2015)

Clyde Simmons (DL Browns)

Mike Smith (OLB Kansas)

Kerry Locklin (DL Toronto)

Jeff FitzGerald (LB Colts)

Johnnie Lynn (DB - available? retired?)

Dennis Thurman (Coord Memphis AAF)

Rex Ryan (ego won't let him be a position coach)

Mike Nolan (LB Saints)

Mike Singletary (HC Memphis AAF)

However he knows alot of people around the NFL and I'm sure he would be able to receive coach recommendations from people he trusts. On the offensive side of the ball he knows Matt Cavanaugh and Bill Callahan from the Redskins which could be his link to Olivadotti. He also knows the likes of Anthony Lynn, Brian Schottenheimer, Dave DeGuglielmo, Nathaniel Hackett, Doug Marrone, Kyle Shanahan, David Shaw whom he can lean on for any recommendations.

LaFleur worked with Olivadotti in 2010 at Washington. Pettinine knows people who knows Olivadotti directly. It puts Olivadotti squarely in frame for the vacant LB job. I expect this hire to happen.

If he struggles to fill the coaching positions himself i'm sure LaFleur knows a few guys that he could recommend to Pettine such as Chris Shula whom we already has been linked with and Marquand Manuel.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Ok you're taking this way too literally.

The big boys in the game are wired differently. They hit people every play and are 320+ pound mammoths. You've got to be on them and ride them hard, they can get out of shape on you fast and they need a bit of a nut job cause quite frankly most of them are a bit goofed in the head. Most line coaches are no BS, in your face type guys cause that gets results.

This OL shares this story and Nelson comes out and says nothing happened, so the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Yes this guy should've been granted time to see his family, but if he comes back out of shape or unfocused life has to go on for that coach, he's not being graded as a counselor, it's how his line performs. 

What you've just described are most coaches I've ever had - some really demanding, crusty, salty ol' cusses that you sometimes grew to hate.  Though we may hate them sometimes, we wouldn't go so far as to call them jerks, and we respected them.

An old salty dog of a coach can be effective without being a complete jerk.  The fact that we're speculating some about Guge, should not altogether preclude him from being vetted.  So I agree with you on that at least.

“The Jets started asking around about Mike McCarthy after he was fired by the Packers in December, but they were concerned about his sensitivity to criticism and how it might be amplified by the New York press, Vacchiano hears. There were also reports that McCarthy would consider sitting out the 2019 season, which may have given the Jets additional pause. McCarthy’s interview was not bad, per se, but Vacchiano hears that he did not hit it out of the park.”

-I always liked MM but could definitely see this being the case. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/jets-rumors-gase-harbaugh-mccarthy-williams

3 hours ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

I was referring to your comment I quoted. I wasn't disputing your stats of companies offering it, just that they don't offer it to all of their employees.

I can't imagine kids working at fast food joints are getting Paid Bereavement leave. Of course, its been a while since I had that type of job, so maybe times have changed. Back then you were given leave, but it was not paid.

For reference point, I worked in hotels as recent as 2 years ago and received a week of paid bereavement. I was not a manager.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

“The Jets started asking around about Mike McCarthy after he was fired by the Packers in December, but they were concerned about his sensitivity to criticism and how it might be amplified by the New York press, Vacchiano hears. There were also reports that McCarthy would consider sitting out the 2019 season, which may have given the Jets additional pause. McCarthy’s interview was not bad, per se, but Vacchiano hears that he did not hit it out of the park.”

-I always liked MM but could definitely see this being the case. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/jets-rumors-gase-harbaugh-mccarthy-williams

Sounds accurate.

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Guess what helps the bottom line?  Keeping good employees.

This is a good observation and probably like many of you I've witnessed the effect that losing talented, dedicated and hardworking people can have on the overall office performance/product.

Those that will stay past 5 cause they're working on something they feel committed to. Those that look for something more to do - beyond their initial job description or duty. Soon as I heard someone say "Not my job" - I turned down the volume on them. You knew the parameters of their talent. They were a finite part of the team.

An office staff can be visualized like a brick wall and the office output / performance represented by the skill strength and commitment of each individual "brick" working together to form a whole. Lose a good employee - remove that brick from somewhere inside the structure and replace him/her with a "lesser" brick - or dont replace it but disperse those tasks amongst the remaining people - the wall remains standing - but its weakened. Not quite as strong and steady as previous.

Bricks are good. You always want to keep your good bricks. Be a good brick :)

Archived