LaFleur's Lieutenants - Coordinator/Staff Thread

incognito_man

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

He's an assistant OL coach. That's why. They've got a 31 year vet with lots of experience with Shanny ahead of him. Like a player blocked in the minors in baseball.

After seeing we are interviewing Pollack, I have no interest in this guy. This is a vet O line that's been together for 4 years. They need a guy who knows what he's doing, not someone who's going to learn on the job.

Yea, Pollack seems like a no-brainer here, especially given his past connections with LaFleur. Don't overthink this one Matt. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like being able to teach "the ZBS" is sort of overblown.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that most teams run at least some ZBS.  Some run it more than others, but it's not some rare thing that only a few know or understand.  

If I'm right on that, then this OL coach search (and the related situation with letting Campen go) doesn't come down to "He knows the ZBS" as much as it comes down to overall offensive philosophy.  I don't think Campen was let go because he didn't know the ZBS.  I think he just had a somewhat different outlook on how to structure and implement the offense than LaFleur does.  

6 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like being able to teach "the ZBS" is sort of overblown.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that most teams run at least some ZBS.  Some run it more than others, but it's not some rare thing that only a few know or understand.  

If I'm right on that, then this OL coach search (and the related situation with letting Campen go) doesn't come down to "He knows the ZBS" as much as it comes down to overall offensive philosophy.  I don't think Campen was let go because he didn't know the ZBS.  I think he just had a somewhat different outlook on how to structure and implement the offense than LaFleur does.  

You're totally right. I think his departure is 100% the fact he was a long tenured Mac guy.

7 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

Everybody runs a mix of power and zone. 

Campen was let go as part of the McCarthy era purge, nothing else.

Could be something, could be nothing.

When Hackett was coordinator at the Bills Todd Downing was the QB coach. He had some success coaching Stafford and Carr at his other stops. Still only 38. We need a QB coach.

Just now, Chili said:

Could be something, could be nothing.

When Hackett was coordinator at the Bills Todd Downing was the QB coach. He had some success coaching Stafford and Carr at his other stops. Still only 38. We need a QB coach.

According to LaFleur we may go without a QB coach.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're totally right. I think his departure is 100% the fact he was a long tenured Mac guy.

Is the "long tenured" part the key there?  I mean, we're keeping Angelichio and Sirmans.  It can't be only that he coached under McCarthy.

2 hours ago, tttmikeb said:

I don't know if its underblown  or overblown -  but there are very specific ways in which the system is coached and the HC wants guys who will teach it the way he wants. In your spare time, watch some Alex Gibbs tutorials, he's brilliant at coaching the ZBS and his salty language adds to the entertainment value.
He really gets after guys

As noted by others, Campen is gone for other reasons. But I'm not going to dismiss the idea that MLF wants a guy who coaches the OL exactly the way he wants it coached. I'm also of a mind that there isn't just one method to teach or deploy a ZBS blocking scheme and matching that up with the RB and QB footwork is important for the HC / playcaller/ offensive success

The Foot-Work

"The ZBS scheme relies on angles to win not power. The footwork of the men in the trenches is vital to establishing these angles.
When executed perfectly the ZBS scheme appears to be a synchronized dance."

Here's a lengthy breakdown on some of the facets of a ZBS scheme and it highlights some of the many nuances involved

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/27/4363750/zone-blocking-running-football-breakdown-highlights-analysis-diagram

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I don't know if its underblown  or overblown -  but there are very specific ways in which the system is coached and the HC wants guys who will teach it the way he wants. In your spare time, watch some Alex Gibbs tutorials, he's brilliant at coaching the ZBS and his salty language adds to the entertainment value.
He really gets after guys

As noted by others, Campen is gone for other reasons. But I'm not going to dismiss the idea that MLF wants a guy who coaches the OL exactly the way he wants it coached. I'm also of a mind that there isn't just one method to teach or deploy a ZBS blocking scheme and matching that up with the RB and QB footwork is important for the HC / playcaller/ offensive success

The Foot-Work

"The ZBS scheme relies on angles to win not power. The footwork of the men in the trenches is vital to establishing these angles.
When executed perfectly the ZBS scheme appears to be a synchronized dance."

Here's a lengthy breakdown on some of the facets of a ZBS scheme and it highlights some of the many nuances involved

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/27/4363750/zone-blocking-running-football-breakdown-highlights-analysis-diagram

No NFL team is 100% power or ZBS anymore and there really isn't a WC ZBS vs spread, zone blocking is zone blocking it's all the same footwork.

Campen is gone because he's a Mac guy for over a decade, same with Whitt, same with McCurley.

About Campen's departure and his conversation with LaFleur....

It sounded like they had a great, honest conversation.  For Campen to talk about that meeting, kind of in glowing terms, tells me that LaFleur is a good communicator.  I like that.

When you can basically tell a guy he's not needed and he feels good enough about it to talk about it, like Campen did, that's a glowing endorsement for both of their characters.

Archived