Preseason Week Three: Browns @ Bucs

bucsfan333

55 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

It's really hard to tell how good our team is using last night's game. I've only been able to watch clips, but we didn't look great. And we had like a dozen starters out. So who knows how the game would have played out if key guys were out there.

I do think we'll struggle in two areas though; running the ball and getting a pass rush. Luckily, we only have to get through three games before we get Dougie back. But it might be a long season if we can't get after the QB. Smitty better scheme the crap out of this defense to try and manufacture some pressure.

I believe they were 9th in the league in sacks, 3 more sacks they would be tied with the Vikings for 5th.  I know JBF keeps beating this drum about a guy with 10 sacks.  For perspective the Cards led the league with 48, ten more then the Bucs. Denver had 4 more sacks then the Bucs. The few clips I saw last night, the DTs didn't get off the line.  With Kizer and his mobility, I wouldn't be surprised if the DEs were instructed not to allow Kizer to break contain.  There will be no such concern with Cutler.

The running game is going to need Martin no doubt.  Winston is going to make questionable decisions at times.  With any luck the WR position won't be depleted enough to see guys like Martino get major snaps.

5 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We had a lot of sacks last year, sure. But we had almost no pressures, hurries, hits, etc. 

If they lead the league again in 3rd down conversion rate again, the team will be good again.   If Smith has to scheme with different personnel packages, I have no problem with it.  

18 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Spence has been getting hype for like four months now. Every time I've seen him rush, he gets walked right around and behind the QB. He's supposed to have better hands and a good inside move. Yet I haven't seen any of that. It's really frustrating to see a guy McCoy, Ayers, and company have lauded as a 15+ sack guy get taken out of virtually every play.

my point exactly

he's really the reason i started writing my last post, every play he just tries to run around the tackle to no avail, he needs to learn what a bull rush is or he needs to hit the weight room because hes small as hell for a DE and CANT bull rush

Archived