The Vital Search for our 2019 Back-up QB

Mind Character

An NFL Team is often only as good as it's backup Quarterback.

Back-up QBs often are tasked with stabilizing the season from a win-loss perspective keeping a team in the playoff hunt in the event that a QB1 is unavailable for an extended period of time, helping sustain belief and the continued development of an Offense and its skill players, and pushing the QB1 up the latter of greatness.

We have to find a QB2 behind Baker to protect this team and our long-term team success/playoff chances.

Who will that QB be for us?

--------------------------------

The following 5 teams are likely to be in the QB1 market:

1.) Giants

2.) Washington

3.) Broncos

4.) Jaguars

5.) Dolphins

---------------------------

The Following 14 QBs will be Unrestricted Free Agents Via Being Cut/Released or Based on Contract Necessitating UFA Status:

Tier 1

1.) Nick Foles

2.) Joe Flacco

3.) Tyrod Taylor

4.) Ryan Tannehill

5.) Case Keenum

6.) Teddy Bridgewater

7.) Ryan Fitzpatrick

Tier 2

8.) Trevor Siemian

9.) Blake Bortles

10.) Brett Hundley

11.) Robert Griffin III

12.) Mike Glennon

13.) Brock Osweiler

14.) Sam Bradford (Might Retire due to Knee issues at any time)

--------------------------

We wont' be in on the Flacco, Taylor, Bridgewater, and Tannehill QB1 sweepstakes.

My top target's are Case Keenum (unrealistic), Trevor Siemian, or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Edited by Mind Character

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Fitz is the best player, but I could see him getting bridge starter QB money.

Siemian would be a great option as well as he’s got starting experience and could potentially be here for 3-4 years and provide some consistency and stability in the QB room with Baker after Stanton’s gone.

I like Siemian as well. Not a bad spot starter if needed for a game or two. 

Really comes down to who the OC is going to be and if anyone with connections come free. 

I also like Nate Sudfeld, he is a RFA for the eagles this year. I think he could be a good back up

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Fitz is the best player, but I could see him getting bridge starter QB money.

Siemian would be a great option as well as he’s got starting experience and could potentially be here for 3-4 years and provide some consistency and stability in the QB room with Baker after Stanton’s gone.

Agreed that Siemian is probably the best choice. There's certainly better QBs available, but they'll likely demand a lot more money. Siemian would likely be cheaper and is a decent game manager as a backup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

I like Siemian as well. Not a bad spot starter if needed for a game or two. 

Really comes down to who the OC is going to be and if anyone with connections come free. 

I also like Nate Sudfeld, he is a RFA for the eagles this year. I think he could be a good back up

Well, I don't think that the Eagles can afford to keep Foles (unless they decide to deal the injury magnet that is their QB1, and franchise Foles....which would turn the league on its ear).  They might put a second round tender (or so) on Sudfeld, which might make him too expensive a get for teams.

28 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Why don't we just roll with Stanton and free up the 3rd QB spot for somewhere else? If Baker goes down, there's no QB on the market who's saving us. 

You could, or you could go with a rookie and save some cap space, but I’d want a decent backup in case Baker is out a couple of games.

We’re looking at a playoff run next year, and I’d rather it not be lost because we played Stanton (who’s more of a coach at this point) and didn’t sign an actual backup level player.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd personally like a back-up listed above and then try a late round flier on Jake Browning or Trace McSorley as a 3rd string/developmental type. Both are flawed but competitive kids with lots of experience at big time programs.

Hard pass on Browning, he’s awful.

Id like Seimian and Stanton for 2019 and when Stanton’s deal ends bring in a rookie to develop behind Baker on 2020.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hard pass on Browning, he’s awful.

We don't disagree on much, but we disagree here. I personally like him.  Granted, he's had disappointing Jr. and Sr. seasons compared to what he did as a sophomore, but he's accurate on short passes/is a west coast kid because downfield he leaves a lot lacking. He's mentally very sharp and makes sound decisions with the football (albeit struggles under pressure and can get skittish). 

Honestly, he reminds me a bit of a stronger armed Cody Kessler/Kellen Moore. Like I said, I'd roll the dice with him as an UDFA/7th rounder. 

Don't get me wrong, if we pass on him, I don't really care, as I'm not in love with him, but I do like the fact that he's started close to 50 games and is very accurate in the short/intermediate game. In Freddy's system, he wouldn't be bad on a lot of those hitches, slants, corners, and outs...and IF he progresses (big if), I could see him as a Keenum type.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Why don't we just roll with Stanton and free up the 3rd QB spot for somewhere else? If Baker goes down, there's no QB on the market who's saving us. 

1 hour ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

Baker

Stanton

Rookie

None of these guys are worth competing for besides Fitzpatrick. The better ones will get starter $$.

What if Baker is out for 5 Weeks and going 2-3 or 3-2 over that stretch is required to pursue the Playoffs at the end of the year?

What becomes of the winning mentality of the rest of the team when they know the Back-up QB can't help the team compete to win?

Drew Stanton is not it.

We have to go out and get a solid to strong backup QB that can help us grind out some wins.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We don't disagree on much,

Because you’re a sharp guy.

but we disagree here. I personally like him. 

Who’s being an idiot right now. 

Granted, he's had disappointing Jr. and Sr. seasons compared to what he did as a sophomore, but he's accurate on short passes/is a west coast kid because downfield he leaves a lot lacking. He's mentally very sharp and makes sound decisions with the football (albeit struggles under pressure and can get skittish). 

You pretty much nailed my issue with him, he can’t throw downfield at all.  

Honestly, he reminds me a bit of a stronger armed Cody Kessler/Kellen Moore. Like I said, I'd roll the dice with him as an UDFA/7th rounder. 

Udfa camp arm or something, yeah, I suppose.  If we’re going to bring in a rookie I’d prefer to draft one day 3 for the full 4 year cheap deal.  In that case I would prefer a QB a bit more talented than Browning.

Don't get me wrong, if we pass on him, I don't really care, as I'm not in love with him,

An sjust like that, you wise back up....

but I do like the fact that he's started close to 50 games and is very accurate in the short/intermediate game. In Freddy's system, he wouldn't be bad on a lot of those hitches, slants, corners, and outs...and IF he progresses (big if), I could see him as a Keenum type.

It’s possible is suppose.

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

What if Baker is out for 5 Weeks and going 2-3 or 3-2 over that stretch is required to pursue the Playoffs at the end of the year?

What becomes of the winning mentality of the rest of the team when they know the Back-up QB can't help the team compete to win?

Drew Stanton is not it.

We have to go out and get a solid to strong backup QB that can help us grind out some wins.

The only QB that will be available as a backup that is significantly better than Stanton is Fitzpatrick. Stanton went 9-4 in ARI as a starter. The rest will command starter money. We need to draft a late rounder and hope they develop into a capable backup otherwise we'll be in the same position as 99% of the league - screwed when your QB goes down. Just not enough supply for the demand.