The Vital Search for our 2019 Back-up QB

Mind Character

Drew Stanton is in that awkward spot of wanting millions of dollars but not wanting to go near the football field without a red shirt on. 

Case would be an awesome back up if he gets released, he is like for like with Baker , just not as good. 

I'd keep tyrod around if he wants, but I think he is gone. If Baker went down he could run the crap out of himself/the ball for a couple of weeks till he gets hurt. 

41 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Because you’re a sharp guy.

tenor.gif

Who’s being an idiot right now. 

Well, considering I bought some High Life December 31, I thought that we'd already established this.

You pretty much nailed my issue with him, he can’t throw downfield at all.  

Udfa camp arm or something, yeah, I suppose.  If we’re going to bring in a rookie I’d prefer to draft one day 3 for the full 4 year cheap deal.  In that case I would prefer a QB a bit more talented than Browning.

An sjust like that, you wise back up....

It’s possible is suppose.

I feel like one of the reasons that I pegged him, aside from his experience/pro style ability, is that this class is so extremely weak, I don't see a talented but majorly flawed prospect falling as one usually does. A Finley, Stidham, or Grier will get overdrafted IMO.

That said, I'd be all for Gardner Minshew too. Fear the stache.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If we’re looking for a day 3 rookie, Brett Rypien is my pick right now.

The older I get the more I tend to like Parcells’s QB rules, especially when you’re talking about the guys who aren’t elite talents.

You know who fulfills Parcell's QB rules...

ap_washington_oregon_football_85847954.j

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigjohnson2009 said:

The only QB that will be available as a backup that is significantly better than Stanton is Fitzpatrick. Stanton went 9-4 in ARI as a starter. The rest will command starter money. We need to draft a late rounder and hope they develop into a capable backup otherwise we'll be in the same position as 99% of the league - screwed when your QB goes down. Just not enough supply for the demand.

He did go 3-1 in 2017 with a 49% completion percentage and a 5 to 6; TD to INT ratio and 4 fumbles. He won b/c of the defense.

Blaine Gabbert going 2-1 while Marcus Mariota was out helped maintain the Titans playoff hopes upon Mariota's return from injury. Chase Daniel helped the Bears keep pace when he had to step in for Trubisky. That's all we need our Backup QB to do, and I just believe that Drew Stanton is not qualified to that in ways similar to some of those QBs on that backup QB list.

I agree with you in that the backup will command a lot of money. Heck, Chase Daniel gets paid 10 million a year. But here's the thing, We have tons of money.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on where Stanton would rank on that list as I'd have him at the bottom of the backup QB list of QBs likely to be available this off-season.

20 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

He did go 3-1 in 2017 with a 49% completion percentage and a 5 to 6; TD to INT ratio and 4 fumbles. He won b/c of the defense.

Blaine Gabbert going 2-1 while Marcus Mariota was out helped maintain the Titans playoff hopes upon Mariota's return from injury. Chase Daniel helped the Bears keep pace when he had to step in for Trubisky. That's all we need our Backup QB to do, and I just believe that Drew Stanton is not qualified to that in ways similar to some of those QBs on that backup QB list.

I agree with you in that the backup will command a lot of money. Heck, Chase Daniel gets paid 10 million a year. But here's the thing, We have tons of money.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on where Stanton would rank on that list as I'd have him at the bottom of the backup QB list of QBs likely to be available this off-season.

I think Stanton is pretty bad, but he has moxy, he's a vet who the team could rally around for a short spurt of 2-3 games. I moreso am hoping we draft a guy in the 4th-5th-6th with some upside to be a good backup. This is a conversation the majority of the league is probably having - even Gabbert who is probably an average backup gave his team almost no chance in a play-in game Sunday night. It did help the Eagles win a Super Bowl, so I guess if we have the money I'm fine with overpaying for the right guy. Not sure many are going to jump at a chance to be a for sure backup.