2019 Playoffs

VikeManDan

1 hour ago, vikestyle said:

Do you think if it is changed to a 15 yarder that we would see a ton more CB's just tackling receivers if they are beat? Or do you think that worry is overblown?

I think that's what's keeping the NFL from making the change. Picture Tyreek Hill breaking open deep and the CB just tackling him negating a huge play. That wouldn't be good from the NFL point of view as those huge plays are a big reason why a casual fan would tune in 

I think those worries are vastly overblown. You don’t see it in college, so I doubt it would happen much in the NFL.

31 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't have a problem with the way it is. The defense gets paid too

My problem is that the MVP of the league doesn't get a chance to see the field. Imagine Lebron not being on the court because of the format in a finals game. I don't think you need to do college OT rules, but why not play another quarter. You don't need it in the regular season, but in the conference championship why not? They get 2 weeks before the super bowl. 

18 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

My problem is that the MVP of the league doesn't get a chance to see the field. Imagine Lebron not being on the court because of the format in a finals game. I don't think you need to do college OT rules, but why not play another quarter. You don't need it in the regular season, but in the conference championship why not? They get 2 weeks before the super bowl. 

What happens if it's tied after another quarter?

46 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

The MVP of the league should have done more in the first half to avoid being down 14-0. The coin flip didn’t decide the game. The Patriots shutting the Chiefs out in the first half and then the Chiefs defense not holding up in OT decided the game. 

OT rules are fine as is. As far as LeBron goes, I’m perfectly fine not seeing him on the court 😂

1 hour ago, byuvike88 said:

And what if it takes place during the wild card, or divisional, game?

The OT rules are just fine as they are. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

And what if it takes place during the wild card, or divisional, game?

The OT rules are just fine as they are. 

We act like an extra 5 minutes is going to break these players. 

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

The MVP of the league should have done more in the first half to avoid being down 14-0. The coin flip didn’t decide the game. The Patriots shutting the Chiefs out in the first half and then the Chiefs defense not holding up in OT decided the game. 

I don't agree with this point at all. Yeah he didn't play well in the first half but lead an offense to score 24 points on a Bill Belichick defense in the 4th quarter.  To say he doesn't deserve a shot because he struggled in the first half doesn't do justice to what he did in the second half. Yeah their defense couldn't hold up and had their chances, but I don't think the Patriots would have either. I don't like legacies being decided by the flip of a coin. 

Patriots had THREE, third and ten plays on that OT drive... the Chiefs gave them all up. It sucks for them that they couldn’t get off the field and get Mahomes back on, but it’s no reason to change the rules. The Chiefs had ample opportunity to win the game, and didn’t; including shooting themselves in the foot on the game sealing interception. 

Don’t sleep through the first half, don’t shoot yourselves in the foot, build an even average defense, and you don’t find yourself at the mercy of a coin toss. 

17 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Patriots had THREE, third and ten plays on that OT drive... the Chiefs gave them all up. It sucks for them that they couldn’t get off the field and get Mahomes back on, but it’s no reason to change the rules. The Chiefs had ample opportunity to win the game, and didn’t; including shooting themselves in the foot on the game sealing interception. 

Don’t sleep through the first half, don’t shoot yourselves in the foot, build an even average defense, and you don’t find yourself at the mercy of a coin toss. 

100 percent agree. They had ample opportunities to stop them.  I'm not making an excuse one way or another. The point is though, the two teams played an equal game at the end of 60 minutes. Doesn't matter if you struggled in the first half or if you blew a lead, at the end of the game it's been a draw. On the scoreboard, the teams have been equal. 

And it's not just this game. I don't like the impact a coin flip has. I'd have to go research it, but I bet that the majority of teams that start overtime with the ball win. I hated it in the 09 Championship, I hated it in the Falcons-Patriots super bowl. As a fan of the game I don't like when a teams best player (and in this game and the Falcons super bowl, the MVP) doesn't get a chance in overtime. It's as simple as that. 

So, Brady leads leads the Patriots down for a touchdown. Mahomes is then given an opportunity to do what, tie the game? At which point Brady and the Patriots get another opportunity to win the game. One more opportunity than Mahomes and the Chiefs, and you’re right back to people saying it’s unfair that “the MVP” didn’t get a chance to match. Defense is still a big part of football. Just because a team’s best player happens to be on offense does not absolve the defense of their responsibility. 

I can only imagine the reactions had Patterson returned the kickoff for a touchdown, and neither QB was allowed to touch the ball. 

3 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I tend to agree. I don't like that only half of the team gets to see the field. They should play until there is a winner, as they do in Hockey, Basketball, and Baseball.

Hockey utilizes sudden death in OT, and baseball’s extra inning format is as close to a sudden death format that the sport’s structure will allow. 

Archived