2019 Playoffs

VikeManDan

28 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Wouldn't it be interesting to have the surviving players and coaches of the '75 Vikings and Cowboys duke it out again?? And the winner gets to take on the surviving players and coaches of the '75 Steelers! 

But wouldn't you have to have the '75 officials too?  Are they still alive? 

Chuck Heberling was the ref in that game...he's apparently still alive, although he's probably in his mid-90s.  

Jerry Bergman, the Head Linesman,  died just last year, but maybe one of his sons (Jeff and Jerry, Jr) who are both current officials can take his place.

Armen Terzian, the field judge, who failed to make the call and was pelted with a bottle, has been dead for 30 years, so I don't know who could take his plac, as I don't know if his replacement, Charley Musser (who took over for the final 2 plays of the game), is still alive or not.  

I will admit, Tuckers number was lower than I expected but this does shed  little bit more light on it. (I don't think the rules need to change for regular season)

Obviously the playoffs is a much smaller sample size, but in most cases if you're in the playoffs, chances are you have a at competent offense with at least competent QB play which is going to lead to more game winning drives on the first possession, and not QB's like Bortles, Dalton, Tannehill etc. 

2019 NE, 2017 NE, 2016 AZ, 2015 SEA,  2012 DEN were all ended on the first possession after the team that won the toss got the ball.  The only team that didn't have a pro bowl quality QB in that group was the Broncos but we all know there was some other divine intervention with that QB ;)

15 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I just realized Sean McVay, one of the most popular coaches in the NFL, is younger than me by about five months. What have I been doing with my life? :(

I've said that about many in my life...and will probably continue to say it even when I'm VD's age.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Overall that was a pretty dull game. Both of those defenses came to play, and the offenses, even the Patriots, were just nothing. The issue was with the defenses coming to play it wasn't like the offenses were getting close and the defenses were making a stand, the defenses were just stopping the offenses. A punter would have been a better MVP in that game than Edleman.

That was a really bad game. The defenses weren't even very good. Letting Edelman just run where ever he wanted to on the field was unbelievable. The Pats defense was what you would expect from them, but Goff was terrible and the play calling was pretty bad. I like defensive struggles, but that's not what happened last night. @The Gnat - I agree that the punters were the best performers in the game last night. 

Archived