2019 Playoffs

VikeManDan

For the first 30 years of the Super Bowl, there were only a handful of close games. And of those, only Super Bowl X (Cowboys-Steelers) and XXV (Bills-Giants) were particularly exciting, well-played games.

People were calling it The Super Bore.

I think the turning point was John Elway's "helicopter" TD  in Super Bowl XXXII, because most of the games have been really good since then.

22 minutes ago, milanb said:

For the first 30 years of the Super Bowl, there were only a handful of close games. And of those, only Super Bowl X (Cowboys-Steelers) and XXV (Bills-Giants) were particularly exciting, well-played games.

I think the turning point was John Elway's "helicopter" TD  in Super Bowl XXXII, because most of the games have been really good since then.

When the only highlight you can remember from a particular Super Bowl is Don Beebe running down Leon Lett, then you know it's a Super Bore.

31 minutes ago, milanb said:

I remember that one well. The first Super Bowl I saw was XXIX between the Niners and Chargers, but not until XXXII did the game itself really feel 'super' to me. I didn't even know who John Elway was at the time, but the helicopter first down earned him a permanent place in my memory.

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

I remember that one well. The first Super Bowl I saw was XXIX between the Niners and Chargers, but not until XXXII did the game itself really feel 'super' to me. I didn't even know who John Elway was at the time, but the helicopter first down earned him a permanent place in my memory.

Wow.  :D

I know VV and VD were watching Elway as a rookie, but even I watched "The Drive" as it happened.  I'm sorry that your introduction and experience with Elway and the Broncos have all involved that garbage uni and helmet logo.  This is the only Broncos helmet and uniform that should ever have adorned Elway.

TestyUnselfishGangesdolphin-small.gif

31 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I know VV and VD were watching Elway as a rookie, but even I watched "The Drive" as it happened.  I'm sorry that your introduction and experience with Elway and the Broncos have all involved that garbage uni and helmet logo.  This is the only Broncos helmet and uniform that should ever have adorned Elway.

I thought the new look was pretty cool at the time; it sent a message that this was a new Denver Broncos team that could get the job done--an impression that was reinforced when they won the next two Super Bowls. But that was eventually spoiled by the Josh McDaniels fiasco and the Tebow saga, so ultimately I was glad when they went back to the orange. 

6 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I thought the new look was pretty cool at the time; it sent a message that this was a new Denver Broncos team that could get the job done--an impression that was reinforced when they won the next two Super Bowls. But that was eventually spoiled by the Josh McDaniels fiasco and the Tebow saga, so ultimately I was glad when they went back to the orange. 

I'm a little biased since I hate Flying Elvis too, but the Patriots will probably never go back to Pat permanently now since they've won so much without him.  Flying Elvis, Flying (or Flaming) Horse...I'm generally in favor of the old logos...probably the only logo that I feel that was truly upgraded in the last 20 years is probably the Lions' logo (and the Vikings).  They made the old logos better.  The rest of them, as far as I've been concerned, were steps back.  The Bucs should have just improved Bucco Bruce and the Dolphins should have just updated their cartoonish Dolphin, instead of trying to make it look too much like a real dolphin (I mean, where's his helmet?)    

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I know VV and VD were watching Elway as a rookie,

yup. i was even living 50 miles north of Denver at the time, and man o man were Bronco fans a rowdy, dedicated bunch. but then, Elway had a poor rookie year (game moved too fast for him) and many called for his head. plus his whole "I'm not going to play for the Colts" shenanigans.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 2:48 PM, swede700 said:

Yes.  The first two Super Bowls he took the Bronco's to...HE TOOK the Bronco's.  They were completely blown away by the talent and coaching of San Francisco and Washington.  But, he was a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs.  To me...he earned legendary status against Bernie Kosar and the Browns in the AFC Championship games...because his talent and his will won those games.

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm a little biased since I hate Flying Elvis too, but the Patriots will probably never go back to Pat permanently now since they've won so much without him.  Flying Elvis, Flying (or Flaming) Horse...I'm generally in favor of the old logos...probably the only logo that I feel that was truly upgraded in the last 20 years is probably the Lions' logo (and the Vikings).  They made the old logos better.  The rest of them, as far as I've been concerned, were steps back.  The Bucs should have just improved Bucco Bruce and the Dolphins should have just updated their cartoonish Dolphin, instead of trying to make it look too much like a real dolphin (I mean, where's his helmet?)    

I also liked the original Chargers uniform with the powder blue jerseys, white helmets that had the gold lightning bolts with the player numbers on the side of the helmet under the "bolts."  The darker blue jerseys and helmets just seem so boring to me.

I also wish the Bengals and Seahawks would go back to their original uniforms...I think their present uniforms are the ugliest professional sports uniforms in America.

23 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Josh McDaniels actually left the Broncos in pretty good shape personnel-wise, even though they were 3-10 or something when he was fired.

The Jay Cutler trade was addition by subtraction, at least in the long run.

I'm not even sure that the decision to draft Tim Tebow was one made by McDaniels, rather than something that came from the ownership.

I liked the Bucs' old uniforms a lot myself. Too many bad memories of that era for the organization to ever go back to them, I think, but visually they would be a huge improvement now. Seattle looked much better in their blue 2000s uniforms, the Titans were better off with white helmets ... the Bills are one of the few teams to make a positive change recently and that's because they went back to their 70s look. I think the best uniforms in football history belonged to the Houston Oilers, no contest, but sadly those guys are never coming back.

3 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I liked the Bucs' old uniforms a lot myself. Too many bad memories of that era for the organization to ever go back to them, I think, but visually they would be a huge improvement now. Seattle looked much better in their blue 2000s uniforms, the Titans were better off with white helmets ... the Bills are one of the few teams to make a positive change recently and that's because they went back to their 70s look. I think the best uniforms in football history belonged to the Houston Oilers, no contest, but sadly those guys are never coming back.

They could...Bud Adams is dead and the Texans owner just died too...they should make that swap.  Charlotte got the Hornets name back...Houston should get the Oilers back...and since everyone's down on the Wild right now, they should petition to get the North Stars name back and force Dallas to change theirs.  :D

On 08/02/2019 at 2:11 PM, swede700 said:

They could...Bud Adams is dead and the Texans owner just died too...they should make that swap.  Charlotte got the Hornets name back...Houston should get the Oilers back...and since everyone's down on the Wild right now, they should petition to get the North Stars name back and force Dallas to change theirs.  :D

I still haven't forgiven the North Stars for ending the last Montreal Canadiens dynasty in 1980.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:13 PM, Virginia Viking said:

I also liked the original Chargers uniform with the powder blue jerseys, white helmets that had the gold lightning bolts with the player numbers on the side of the helmet under the "bolts."  The darker blue jerseys and helmets just seem so boring to me.

I also wish the Bengals and Seahawks would go back to their original uniforms...I think their present uniforms are the ugliest professional sports uniforms in America.

I think when the Bengals go white on white it's actually pretty sharp

Archived