2019 Playoffs

VikeManDan

15 hours ago, milanb said:

I still haven't forgiven the North Stars for ending the last Montreal Canadiens dynasty in 1980.

As a fan of a team with success so few and far between, I don't feel bad.  The Canadiens were the Celtics of the NHL, while the North Stars were more like the Pacers or Suns, never great, but never truly awful, and every now and then would end up in the Championship Series, only to lose.  

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:16 PM, NoDakViking said:

I think when the Bengals go white on white it's actually pretty sharp

But they still have the tiger stripes on their helmets and accents on their pants and jerseys. 

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

But they still have the tiger stripes on their helmets and accents on their pants and jerseys. 

I've always actually liked the tiger stripes on the helmets...but, the jerseys have been a mess.  White on white at least distracts you some from the mess of a jersey it is.  They should just go back to the shoulder stripe look that they had prior to '04 or so.  The white stripe on the side is stupid and the shadow font is atrocious.  

On 11/02/2019 at 9:24 AM, swede700 said:

As a fan of a team with success so few and far between, I don't feel bad.  The Canadiens were the Celtics of the NHL, while the North Stars were more like the Pacers or Suns, never great, but never truly awful, and every now and then would end up in the Championship Series, only to lose.  

The North Stars of that era had a strong Ottawa connection, with Bobby Smith, Steve Payne and Tim Young all having played for the Ottawa 67's under Brian Kilrea.

Of course, the legendary Canadiens teams of the late 1970's did too, with Guy Lafleur,  Larry Robinson, Michel "Bunny" Larocque and Murray Wilson (older brother of Doug Wilson and fastest skater in the NHL - I met them both once because their sister was my home room teacher high school). Even GM Sam Pollock and HC Scotty Bowman were the GM and HC of the Ottawa Junior Canadiens in the1950's.

It's hard to imagine anyone putting together a team of that calibre ever again. The game's best player, best goaltender, and three of the top five defencemen all on the same team. And Scotty Bowman is easily the greatest hockey coach of all time.

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

I've always actually liked the tiger stripes on the helmets...but, the jerseys have been a mess.  White on white at least distracts you some from the mess of a jersey it is.  They should just go back to the shoulder stripe look that they had prior to '04 or so.  The white stripe on the side is stupid and the shadow font is atrocious.  

I liked the Paul Brown era uniforms for the Bengals.  Black jersey, white pants, solid orange helmet with the word "Bengals" on the side written in black.  It was simple...the colors suggested the coloring of Tigers...and when the uniform was introduced in 1967...kids at the time, such as myself, had to go to the dictionary and look up the work Bengal! 

22 hours ago, milanb said:

The North Stars of that era had a strong Ottawa connection, with Bobby Smith, Steve Payne and Tim Young all having played for the Ottawa 67's under Brian Kilrea.

Of course, the legendary Canadiens teams of the late 1970's did too, with Guy Lafleur,  Larry Robinson, Michel "Bunny" Larocque and Murray Wilson (older brother of Doug Wilson and fastest skater in the NHL - I met them both once because their sister was my home room teacher high school). Even GM Sam Pollock and HC Scotty Bowman were the GM and HC of the Ottawa Junior Canadiens in the1950's.

It's hard to imagine anyone putting together a team of that calibre ever again. The game's best player, best goaltender, and three of the top five defencemen all on the same team. And Scotty Bowman is easily the greatest hockey coach of all time.

Another interesting thing about the Canadiens teams of the late 1970's is that they were the first NHL team to recruit heavily from the US college ranks. One of their finds was the late Bill Nyrop, who I believe was from Minnesota.

Archived