2019 Free Agent Prospects

CBrownsman

We have a Thread for 2019 Draft prospects, but I thought it equally worth-while to talk about what Free Agents are possibilities for the Browns.

I think were all pretty well aware of the needs, the question of course is how much if any will we really look to fill in Free Agency.

Its widely known that we have "a ton of cap space" but what is less widely known is how much of that is long term and how much of that is one time.

We are only approximately 27.6 million dollars under the cap, however, we have 58.3 million dollars carried over from last year, giving us the 85.9 million number you hear about.

This just means we have to be smart with out money.  We can't spend like crazy and use up that 58.3 million this year as we will be over the cap by that much next year with long term contracts.

Granted there will be some help with contracts coming off the books, if we release Jamie Collins it will be 2.5 million dead money and save us 9.5 million against the cap, I almost assume hes gone.

Other possibilities are Joel Bitonio (1.3 dead 5.7 savings), JC Tretter (1.5 dead 5.3 savings) because of Austin Corbett, but our lines interior has done so well I think it would be crazy to let either player go.  They have played great all season, our tackles were the ones causing problems early in the season, I say we keep them and let Corbett continue to learn and be an injury backup.

Longer shots are TJ Carrie (4.7 dead 4.2 savings) and Chris Smith (2.8 dead 2.1 savings), and Chris Hubbard (3.2 dead 4.1 savings), but I think based on the dead money and the small cap savings and how we don't need it this year, we keep all three of them and hope to see improvement in year 2 with the team.

I think everyone is in agreement that we should bring back Breshad Perriman and Greg Robinson on cost effective deals, they have shown a lot of promise towards the end of the year with this team.  Greg can be a serviceable left tackle, and maybe a very good right tackle if we decide to move on from Hubbard and put Harrison or someone else at LT.  Perriman has the size and deep threat ability and has shown that he can catch the ball (has caught almost everything thrown at him since coming to Cleveland).

From what I saw last year it seems that Dorsey's MO is to use free agency to make it so we have no glaring holes, then draft the best players that fit our team.  Last year we needed a WR's, CB's, OT's, a DE, a RB, a QB, a blocking TE, a LB, and a FS.  We traded for and signed Jarvis Landry at WR (shows we are not afraid to make a splash), we traded for a 1 year contract of Tyrod Taylor at CB.  We traded for Damarious Randall at FS on his rookie deal.  We signed Chris Smith at DE, Derren Fells at TE, Chris Hubbard at OT, Carlos Hyde at RB,  Michael Kendrisk at LB, and EJ Gains, TJ Carrie and Terrence Mitchell at CB all on reasonable contracts that we could get out from under after 1 year if they didn't work out.  We went into the draft with no position that was not at least temporarily filled via free agency.  The ability to upgrade them significantly, yes, but nothing glaring had we passed on anyone (with the exception of a QB).  I see us doing something similar in FA this year.

I could see us making 1 splash signing, but signing other guys to reasonable contracts in areas of need to ensure we are okay going into next seaosn.

In my oppinion, the only two positions we are in dire need of is a DT and a LB.  We have players to fill in at CB, OT, WR and DE at the moment.  We can upgrade all of those positions but we have a foundation ATM.

If i was a betting man, I could see us spending money on a LB this year to replace Jamie Collins in the off-season.  I don't think it would stop us from drafting one (we have shown that we need them because of injury), but we clearly need more of a run stuffing linebacker.

Two names come to mind on the free agent market.  CJ Mosley from Baltimore, and Shaquill Barrett from Denver.

Barrett is looking to be a starter on a team as opposed to being a backup on the Broncos so I see them letting him go.  We were also looking at the possibility of trading for him earlier in the season and last off season if I remember correctly so I see him as a definite possiblity.

Who do you think we would go after? A big named DT (Grady Jarrett)? A big name DE (Frank Clark)?

What do you guys think is our legitimate free agent possibility, knowing that we probably wont spent 86 million dollars as we really only have 30-40 to spend?

I agree that we need to fill 3/4 dt spots, I would use 3 draft picks on this position 17, a 2nd and late round pick. 

Frank Clark would be interesting as fa target. We need another edge rusher, Ogbah has regressed, though Avery looks at re, we need to be 3 deep at de. 

Chris smith can go, he had 1 sack and didnt make many splash plays. 

DEs

Jadaveon Clowney(26)
DeMarcus Lawrence(27)
David Irving(25)
Frank Clark(26)
Dee Ford(28)
Preston Smith(26)
Za'Darius Smith(26)

DTs

Grady Jarrett (26)
Sheldon Richardon(29)
Malcolm Brown(25)
Michael Pierce (26) (RFA)

LBs

C.J. Mosley(27)
Anthony Barr(27)
K.J. Wright(30)
Clay Matthews(33)
Deone Bucannon(26)

CBs

Stephen Nelson(26)
Bradley Roby(27)
Bryce Callahan(27)

TEs

Nick Boyle(26)
Jesse James(25)

-I would sign one of these two TEs. They don't offer a ton in the receiver game but they are better blockers than any of the 3 we have on the roster right now. If we are able to add a TE in the draft as well then you bump DeValve from the roster.

LT Donovan Smith (26)

-The only OT I would consider signing as a free agent. He has been a good starting LT for awhile now and he's only 26. Has the tools to remain a highly productive LT for 6-7 years.

WR Tyrell Williams(27)

-Honestly the only free agent WR I am interested in. He is a big target with deep speed who would fit in nicely here. He is the far superior player to Chris Conley too.

RB Jay Ajay(26)

-I think he can be had for a cheap 1 year prove it deal and would be excellent inside runner incase something happened to Chubb

QB Trevor Siemian(27)

-My number one target for backup QB duties. He is young enough to keep around a few years with starting experience and a decent record as a starter. I would also approach Tyrod Taylor about a Nick Foles type deal to be the backup to Baker and see what happens, but I think he will leave to try and be a starter again.

PK

Robbie Gould(37)
Stephen Gostkowski(35)

-We need to add one of these guys if they are let to hit free agency. 35-37 isn't ancient for a kicker and the young kickers in this league are terrible. We are not the only team suffering from terrible kicking. Its a league wide problem and the college pool doesn't look much better.

33 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I agree that we need to fill 3/4 dt spots, I would use 3 draft picks on this position 17, a 2nd and late round pick. 

Frank Clark would be interesting as fa target. We need another edge rusher, Ogbah has regressed, though Avery looks at re, we need to be 3 deep at de. 

Chris smith can go, he had 1 sack and didnt make many splash plays. 

Apparently you didn't watch the Carolina and Cincinnati game. He was by far our best 3 tech all year and he had never played there until late in the year and only because we were getting ZERO production from Coley and Ogbah. Chris Smith had 2 more TFLs and more FF than Ogbah on the year playing less than 1/4 of the snaps. Chris Smith is an NFL level talent and a productive player when given the reps. He is not a starter by any means but he's better depth than Zettel and any DT on the roster. Also, if we find a starting DE then I would still keep Chris Smith over Emmanuel Ogbah.

3 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Apparently you didn't watch the Carolina and Cincinnati game. He was by far our best 3 tech all year and he had never played there until late in the year and only because we were getting ZERO production from Coley and Ogbah. Chris Smith had 2 more TFLs and more FF than Ogbah on the year playing less than 1/4 of the snaps. Chris Smith is an NFL level talent and a productive player when given the reps. He is not a starter by any means but he's better depth than Zettel and any DT on the roster. Also, if we find a starting DE then I would still keep Chris Smith over Emmanuel Ogbah.

Smith deserves his spot for sure. He’s one of a few who can play inside and outside.

Right now I think Garrett, Ogbah, Smith and Ogunjobi are locks for next year.

Coley is a FA, but could be a decent depth player.  Thomas has shown nothing, but that doesn’t mean he won’t.  It will be put up or shut up time though. The rest are JAGS.

So realistically we’ve got 4 of 7-8 spots accounted for. NEED another starting caliber DT and a better pass rusher on the outside.

48 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Maybe I pidgin holes him as an edge guy. 

I'd keep ogbah for potential only. 

The only big signing I would be ok with making this year is a defensive end. 

Gotta try for some home runs while Baker is on this rookie contract. 

Sign a DE even if it’s big money and draft a DT

and I do like Tyrell Williams

but besides that this is a pretty blah Fa class 

55 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

DEs

JaDeveon Clowney(26)

I'd consider it. See how much it's going to kill us. If we sign him, he's the only high priced FA we'll be able to afford for a LONG time.

DTs
Michael Pierce (26) (RFA)

This would be great. He's a very good player and always kills our interior. I'd love to snag him away from Baltimore. He's the most realistic and reasonable FA signing.

LBs

C.J. Mosley(27)

If Baltimore let him walk, they're crazy. If they do, I'd sell my soul to acquire him.

Anthony Barr(27)

I'd love to see Barr in Cleveland. Doubt it happens because he's going to cost a lot of money, but he's exactly the kind of player that Jamie Collins was unable to be for us.

QB Trevor Siemian(27)

This would be great. We need a veteran QB and the market this particular off-season seems extremely dried out. Hell, I wouldn't even mind bringing Tyrod Taylor back.

Overall, I don't want to sign more than 1-2 guys in the off-season. Let's retain our big-name guys and punt on this free agency period.

QB: Need backup (FA)
RB: (N/A)
FB: (N/A)
WR: (N/A)    --could upgrade, but I think we're fine adding someone in the draft
TE: Need 2nd/3rd string TE (DRAFT!)
LT: (N/A)      --between Robinson/Harrison/Hubbard, we have good enough OT's
LG: (N/A)
C: (N/A)
RG: (N/A)
RT: (N/A)

LE: Need fringe starter (DRAFT!)
DT: Need starter (DRAFT!)
RE: (N/A)
WLB: (N/A)
MLB: (N/A)
SLB: Need starter (DRAFT/FA)
CB: (N/A)     --could upgrade Mitchell, but I'd only consider adding a CB via the draft
FS: (N/A)
SS: Need box safety for 4-2-5 package (DRAFT/FA)

K: Sign someone in camp to compete.
P: (N/A)

So basically, we need to add three new starters (DT, DE, SLB), add some depth in the secondary, get a backup QB, and find another pass catcher.  These things don't require spending a lot of money in free agency.

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Chris Smith played well enough to get a spot on the team. He played a ton of snaps and was never standout bad. I agree with TRD here. While he isn't an integral part to the future, he's not someone I think we need to jettison out of here or anything. He's a capable player that can spot start in an emergency.

Dorsey was very active in FA last year and as mentioned above his program was to use FA to fill all needs so draft can be made with best player philosophy.  Also, Dorsey came up in the ranks and is extremely solid in all areas of GM except the money/contracts.  Fact is Dorsey can scout and evaluate talent.  He has proven "bad boys" can be productive if they are motivated.   More importantly, he is one of the league's best talent evaluator.

There is Dee Ford and Stevens CB who he drafted for a reason.

On a need basis, I would think in priority:  DT/CB/speed LB/OT/WR.

For money, 86M is a big number and could get bigger by letting Collins and a couple of others go.

Robinson and Perriman should be signed now to moderate deals with signing bonus.

Personally for FA, I would really like to acquire Roby CB and Dee Ford LB/DE with maybe TE.

There are a dozen 4-5 star DT in  2019 draft and Dorsey knows to build defense in the middle.

7 minutes ago, #32 said:

Dorsey was very active in FA last year and as mentioned above his program was to use FA to fill all needs so draft can be made with best player philosophy.  Also, Dorsey came up in the ranks and is extremely solid in all areas of GM except the money/contracts.  Fact is Dorsey can scout and evaluate talent.  He has proven "bad boys" can be productive if they are motivated.   More importantly, he is one of the league's best talent evaluator.

There is Dee Ford and Stevens CB who he drafted for a reason.

On a need basis, I would think in priority:  DT/CB/speed LB/OT/WR.

For money, 86M is a big number and could get bigger by letting Collins and a couple of others go.

Robinson and Perriman should be signed now to moderate deals with signing bonus.

Personally for FA, I would really like to acquire Roby CB and Dee Ford LB/DE with maybe TE.

There are a dozen 4-5 star DT in  2019 draft and Dorsey knows to build defense in the middle.

Bradley Roby was the first CB I watched this season knowing he was a free agent. He made T.J. Carrie look good IMO. Maybe if he were super cheap and we added him to replace E.J. Gaines I would consider it but I wouldn't target him thinking he is replacing Carrie or Mitchell. Honestly I think I'd prefer to just try and resign Gaines on the cheap again. I wanted to like Roby I just didn't see it.

Archived