Charles Leno Signs 4 Year Extension

Chronickerr

Leno has done a solid job over the past few seasons but not enough to be the 14th highest paid LT in the NFL...I would have liked to have seen us go into next years draft and find a franchise LT to protect Trubisky's blindside...will be very interesting to see the guarantees...

$21.5 million guaranteed isn't too bad.

I don't mind this, Leno is solid, young and I'm happy with him as our LT for the next few years. We have bigger needs to focus on in coming Drafts and FA periods so locking Leno up allows us to do that. Maybe slightly overpaid yes but by the fourth year of his deal that position of 14th highest paid LT will have dropped as others get paid more.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Leno has done a solid job over the past few seasons but not enough to be the 14th highest paid LT in the NFL...I would have liked to have seen us go into next years draft and find a franchise LT to protect Trubisky's blindside...will be very interesting to see the guarantees...

$21.5 million guaranteed isn't too bad.

As if the 14th best LT in the nfl is far and away better than Charles Leno.

4 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

As if the 14th best LT in the nfl is far and away better than Charles Leno.

I believe the 14th best would be.  

I'm ok with it, he will likely have a frontloaded deal until Pace finds something better than "good enough."

This is just a smaller version of Jay's last deal. Inflated due to position and a lack of alternatives.

6 hours ago, Castiron said:

About average contract, about average LT.  Hope it doesn't keep them from going after McGlinchey though.

It shouldn't. You never limit your team and franchise QB by sticking with mediocre talent. Even if Leno shows some sort of amazing progress, McGlinchey would do well at RT and be a massive upgrade there. Eventually he could move over too. Williams and Hyatt would be as well if they keep playing like they  did last year.

EDIT - Brown if he comes out too. All 4 could be high first round picks this year if they perform well.

Leno is a solid 25 year old LT. He's not Joe Thomas, but he's a solid starter who's TWENTY FIVE. He also has shown growth every year and has provided the stability we were looking for at LT for a long time. We locked him up at a decent in line with market price for what is effectively a 2-year guarantee at what was far less than he would have fetched in FA next year (did you see semi-bust Matt Kalil's contract this offseason?). 

I am surprised by the negativity. In terms of holes on our roster, LT with Leno is pretty damn far down the list IMO, and had he left in FA in March 2018 we would have either had to spend a top 10 pick next year to replace him when we need playmakers elsewhere, spent huge $ in FA for a comparable talent, or would have a decidedly worse LT situation going forward. 

When you're running an outside zone (ZBS) system, you can get away with smaller LTs. His explosion/quickness in the run game is really outstanding, he moves like a guard that's 20 lbs lighter. His long arms help in pass pro, and I think as he gets stronger he'll get a better anchor.

Don't forget, he shut down some big pass rushers in his career. Aldon Smith, Tamba Hali, Ziggy Ansah, and Everson Griffen.

Last season? Gave up 4 or 5 sacks on 1,011 snaps. Is he elite/great? No... but he's a top 20 LT, easy.

I agree he isn't a major liability, but him making stride from 2015 to 2016 is not saying much, He was horrendous in 15, and while he was improved, he was nothing great last year. He is a fair athlete yes, but that has helped his run blocking little. He is still well below average there and while he does not make major false steps and blown by for sacks like Webb/Omiyale did, but he gives up pressure at a rapid rate. He and Massie are not top 15 for their positions, I'd agree Leno is around the late teens to 20th, Massie mid 20s back.

The two gave up over 70 pressures last year and attributed for 14 penalties last year. Pressures equal mistakes, look at Glennon's pick 6 in the first preseason game, and watch Leno... He gave up the easy pressure, Glennon made the poor choice, we gave up the pick 6. These aren't all on him of course, but this isn't an isolated incident.

Re-signing him was a smart move, I'm confident they will structure his deal to make it safer. We could absolutely do worse, and have. But signing him allows Pace to do what everyone says he wants to do - draft the best player available. If that is an OT, then I doubt he passses up on one to save Leno or Massie. He is young and was the only 16 game starter on the OL IIRC last year. I hope he makes another step and becomes a top third LT, the fact we got this much out of a 7th rounder is a major (rare) win for Emery/Trestman. But feel-good stories aside, he still needs to improve to be worth the deal he signed.

Archived