DL Talk

cannondale

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

If you don't think he has a quick first step or shows good agility for a big man we're very far apart on this. In the last game he felt the pressure of a double spun back past it and was there to make the play in the hole. He's shown inconsistensies in his PT but he wasnt a bad pick at all. He's got some development to continue to do to get him where he needs to be but to categorize him as a "4th/5th" DL after 1 year of actually playing... in which he didnt collect a huge amount of PT. I have no idea how you can look at his Auburn stuff and say he never showed anything special? 

We're very far apart on DL evals. I'll just let you do you.

I have to disagree with some of this, I continue to see people talking about the promise he has shown with his explosion or quickness but I just don't see it at all. I don't see a quick first step or any ability to penetrate. I usually see him get stood up and just hold his ground. He may look somewhat agile once the running back is a couple yards past the line of scrimmage but we need guys who can play on the opposite side of the line of scrimmage.

I like Adams and am not ready to give up on him plus lack of PT doesn't help but I am just not seeing some of the agility or quickness that others are seeing.

1 hour ago, Victor1124 said:

I have to disagree with some of this, I continue to see people talking about the promise he has shown with his explosion or quickness but I just don't see it at all. I don't see a quick first step or any ability to penetrate. I usually see him get stood up and just hold his ground. He may look somewhat agile once the running back is a couple yards past the line of scrimmage but we need guys who can play on the opposite side of the line of scrimmage.

I like Adams and am not ready to give up on him plus lack of PT doesn't help but I am just not seeing some of the agility or quickness that others are seeing.

Then you have to go back and watch more closely, he's beat traps on the way to the RB a few times. When his initial quickness gets countered is when he generally gets locked up. He needs work with his hand after he's stopped. Athletically he's far superior to a Lancaster l.

He's going IN to his 3rd year. Missed his ENTIRE first year and didnt get much PT until the last third of the year.

3 hours ago, rcon14 said:

Bro he was a 3rd round pick and has 1.5 sacks in 21 career games. Nothing popped up in his testing to say good athlete. He's fine. Not every player GB has is going to develop up.

There's a good chance that you're 100% right and he doesnt go further, and that doesnt bother me. Doesnt mean he wasn't worth the pick, he was a very good player in a very good conference in college who didnt have great test numbers. To watch him play and say that his ceiling is depth is completely ignoring the develop phase of draft and develop. That is the only problem I am addressing. I wouldn't be shocked to see him as a starter here or somewhere in the next 2-3 years.

18 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Then you have to go back and watch more closely, he's beat traps on the way to the RB a few times. When his initial quickness gets countered is when he generally gets locked up. He needs work with his hand after he's stopped. Athletically he's far superior to a Lancaster l.

I might have to, I don't claim to be an expert or anything but once the season went to ****, Adams was one of the young players I would try and focus on. I just don't recall him making too many plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage. I did see some lateral quickness moving down the line but not much push and basically no pass rush. I was fine with drafting Adams in the 3rd at the time but it could be possible he would be more effective in a 4-3 scheme.

Him being a "far superior" athlete to Lancaster would actually be a negative when comparing the two since even being less of an athlete, Lancaster(an undrafted rookie) got more push at the line of scrimmage and made more of an impact IMO. Neither provide pass rush.

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

If you don't think he has a quick first step or shows good agility for a big man we're very far apart on this. In the last game he felt the pressure of a double spun back past it and was there to make the play in the hole. He's shown inconsistensies in his PT but he wasnt a bad pick at all. He's got some development to continue to do to get him where he needs to be but to categorize him as a "4th/5th" DL after 1 year of actually playing... in which he didnt collect a huge amount of PT. I have no idea how you can look at his Auburn stuff and say he never showed anything special? 

We're very far apart on DL evals. I'll just let you do you.

I'm 100% with you on this.  Adams was the only DL on the roster once Clark and Daniels were out that showed any real agility or ability to penetrate.  He still needs a lot of work, but that's a good athlete who's willing to fight out there, he just needs to get stronger and work on using his hands with his quickness to accomplish something.  Luckily, if you want to work on your technique, Clark and Daniels are pretty great examples to learn from.  

If Adams is healthy I think he'll start to take people's snaps out there next year.

2 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

Sneaky need for 2020. Can't imagine Daniels back & then we're pretty much left with Clark & some upside/depth guys.

Agreed, so why shouldn't they address this in 2019 and be ready for 2020 with 2 out of the 3 starters in place?  Whether is by draft or FA?

10 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Agreed, so why shouldn't they address this in 2019 and be ready for 2020 with 2 out of the 3 starters in place?  Whether is by draft or FA?

Exactly and I feel like we're in a prime position to do with our late 1st or early 2nd

5 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

This.  The reason TT's drafts started to lack later in his reign is because he started drafting for NEED.  Stop it. Just stop.

We need talent and the DL is loaded in this draft.  As good as Clark is, he would be even better with a running mate up front.  If the board falls and the DL is the pick...do it.  Draft talent.

Agree 100%.

5 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

This.  The reason TT's drafts started to lack later in his reign is because he started drafting for NEED.  Stop it. Just stop.

We need talent and the DL is loaded in this draft.  As good as Clark is, he would be even better with a running mate up front.  If the board falls and the DL is the pick...do it.  Draft talent.

Agree with all of this.

The team needs multiple defensive playmakers and has had that same need for many years. 

No position can be overlooked if the talent is there.

10 hours ago, gopackgo27 said:

Sneaky need for 2020. Can't imagine Daniels back & then we're pretty much left with Clark & some upside/depth guys.

It may be a sneaky need for 2020 but we have serious and immediate needs for OL, OLB, SAF, TE and young offensive playmakers in general. So its a long way down the list for me.

Agree with the BPA thing. If a DL is the clear BPA which may be the case in this draft then take him. If DL is graded similar to the other position then I take the other position.

Alexander                            Lowry    Clark    Daniels                              King 

Perry       Martinez    Morrison       Fackrell

Brice                Williams

Yikes. If this was Scrabble I'd consider dumping my chips. And people are worried about WR and TE ?  Please

14 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Alexander                            Lowery    Clark    Daniels                              King 

Perry       Martinez    Morrison       Fackrell

Brice                Williams

Yikes. If this was Scrabble I'd consider dumping my chips. And people are worried about WR and TE ?  Please

I don't really see the problem? Edge for sure. Probably an additional S, but otherwise the D is in pretty good shape.

Archived