DL Talk

cannondale

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

I don't really see the problem? Edge for sure. Probably an additional S, but otherwise the D is in pretty good shape.

You probably want to replace both Safteys and if Clay/Perry are gone you want to bring in at least 2 viable pass rushers. Saftey and EDGE should be at the top of the list on this team.

30 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

You probably want to replace both Safteys and if Clay/Perry are gone you want to bring in at least 2 viable pass rushers. Saftey and EDGE should be at the top of the list on this team.

Plus in a perfect world Lowry would be a filler instead of a starter, and Morrison is a liability. So that's 55% of our defensive starters that should be replaced. If that means we are in good shape, I'd hate to see bad shape

14 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Plus in a perfect world Lowry would be a filler instead of a starter, and Morrison is a liability. So that's 55% of our defensive starters that should be replaced. If that means we are in good shape, I'd hate to see bad shape

Curious what they do at ILB. I would try to commit to Josh Jones there, but you wonder if they think Burks will turn into something. Then you got Jake Ryan if they want to keep him as well.

48 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I think whether Clay/Perry are gone or here you still have to treat that situation as if they are both 2nd/3rd teamers and not starters at least quality wise.

2 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Yup, this team needs 2 new starting safeties and 2 new starting EDGE players (assuming we stick with 3-4). 

21 hours ago, rcon14 said:

Bro he was a 3rd round pick and has 1.5 sacks in 21 career games. Nothing popped up in his testing to say good athlete. He's fine. Not every player GB has is going to develop up.

Bro. Kenny Clark was a 1st round pick and didn't get his first career sack until game 27.

I’m not worried about the Defensive line AT THIS TIME but in the NFL that can change in a second. Last year we were feeling like the D line was a strength then Wilkerson, Daniels and Clark all went down...

That is why you always have to be looking for opportunities to infuse the team with more talent where you can. I would be interested to see what is the average draft number of each all pro player going back a decade or so. I feel like Defensive line specifically rushers would be on top. There just are not that many exceptions when it comes to great pass rushers drafted after the first 50 picks 

23 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

Him being a "far superior" athlete to Lancaster would actually be a negative when comparing the two since even being less of an athlete, Lancaster(an undrafted rookie) got more push at the line of scrimmage and made more of an impact IMO. Neither provide pass rush.

I don't see this as a negative at all.. Lancaster is a draft horse. Guy is undoubtedly strong but that's his one trick, his other areas are much harder to grow. It's not like Mont has 0 drive skills, he just doesn't hold ground as well in plug. 3rd year is a crucial one for Mont, I'm definitely not ready to write him off as "ain't it".

I'll go a little further. Watching Mont one of his major issues is when his assignment is get to the QB and his initial step is blocked he'll elevate because he's used to being a bull. This is an issue. He needs to resink his hips and drive again/work the hands. When his assignment is to push pocket he can generate some movement because he locks into his guy and goes. When it comes to plug he can work the zone stuff because of his movement but will get moved past his hole, I've never watched him not be able to keep up with a play. When it comes to doubles and powers he's often too high and stays square in the block. He was coming on later with finesse type of moves to regain his gap but what he needs to be able to do more often is sit or split the double. More work with the S&C team and his DL coach and some heavy effort could bring Mont a long ways.

7 hours ago, spilltray said:

Martinez/Ryan/Burks/Jones is plenty at ILB. I expect Perry back. I don't think the situation at S is that dire either. 

If you have Jones at ILB then who do you have at safety that makes you think it isn't a position in dire need of upgrade? If you say Tramon I might throw up. 

Archived