Coach of the year?

topwop1

55 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Who wins:

• Matt Nagy (Bears went from 5-11 to 12-4)
  • Anthony Lynn (Chargers went from 9-7 to 12-4)
  • Frank Reich (Colts went from 4-12 to 10-6)
  • Bill O'Brien (Texans went from 4-12 to 11-5)

Go!

I think the coach of the year has to be Matt Nagy.. B

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Frank Reich has to win it, right?

The Colts roster is an abortion and they just won 10 games and are in the playoffs. That's a miracle to me.

It's not nearly as bad as people thought it was, I'd say it's closer to league average now than bottom of the barrel like it was.  Ballard has to be in the running for executive of the year.  Helps when you draft two first team all pro rookies. 

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Pete Carroll would get my vote, followed by Nagy and then Reich.

Forgot about Carroll, he would be a good candidate as well, but I'd put him in the same category as Lynn.  Both went from barely missing the playoffs last year to making the playoffs this year and this award usually goes to the coach with the biggest turnaround.

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Who wins:

• Matt Nagy (Bears went from 5-11 to 12-4)
  • Anthony Lynn (Chargers went from 9-7 to 12-4)
  • Frank Reich (Colts went from 4-12 to 10-6)
  • Bill O'Brien (Texans went from 4-12 to 11-5)

Go!

I think you should have included Sean McVay and Andy Reid. To me it seems that both are revolutionizing NFL offenses.

In the end my vote would go to Nagy for sure. He has not only made a great turnaround for the Bears organization, but is also helping Trubisky tremendiously.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

To be real for a second - O'Brien is a very bad coach in terms of in game strategy, clock management, personnel decisions, etc. Those things are pretty well documented.

This being said - O'Brien kept that locker room intact in the midst of an 0-3 start. There were plenty of opportunities for this Texans team to turn on O'Brien (and plenty of ammo showing how much his incompetence contributed to that start). But those guys rallied around O'Brien and kept it together.

He's a bad coach, but he seems like a good leader.

He's the type of person who can have success if he surrounds himself with the right people.

28 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Forgot about Carroll, he would be a good candidate as well, but I'd put him in the same category as Lynn.  Both went from barely missing the playoffs last year to making the playoffs this year and this award usually goes to the coach with the biggest turnaround.

I think the Seahawks though are the biggest over performers of the year, and that starts with Pete Carroll. They didn't have an exciting draft (hell, they basically threw away their 1st round pick), they didn't make many splash FA acquisitions, it's all been Carroll.

The Bears acquired Khalil Mack and Matt Nagy is a fantastic offensive coach.

The Colts' first 2 draft picks are All-Pros and they got a healthy Andrew Luck back behind a good offensive line.

I think personally I would give Chris Ballard executive of the year without hesitation, and Carroll COTY with Nagy as my #2.

11 minutes ago, Danger said:

He's the type of person who can have success if he surrounds himself with the right people.

Bingo - Brian Gaine is a good GM to work with him and RAC can organize a defense. All BOB needs to do is drop the OC/playcalling duties.

Which ...he won't do.

36 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Neither one built the team

I'm aware of that.  I'm talking about who did the best job of straight coaching given what we know and not who built the best roster.  That's an entirely separate discussion.  

Archived