Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
49erurtaza

49ers fire head strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright

Recommended Posts

Good, fire all of the medical staff as well as it is a complete and utter joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to be done. The injuries have been brutal the last two years. Maybe it has nothing to do with him, maybe it's just bad luck. But you kind of have to find out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Had to be done. The injuries have been brutal the last two years. Maybe it has nothing to do with him, maybe it's just bad luck. But you kind of have to find out

He needs to go. The medical staff needs to go. This shouldn't be that hard. Go out and get yourself a top level medical staff. Go to Stanford and hire the best damn doctors they have to offer  lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Forge said:

Had to be done. The injuries have been brutal the last two years. Maybe it has nothing to do with him, maybe it's just bad luck. But you kind of have to find out

Yeah, it may not have much to do with him. Maybe it's the practice scheduling. Maybe it's just luck. But it doesn't hurt to review everything. Maybe a new strength and conditioning guy will have fresher ideas. Go and get the best guy you can find. Find someone with the best track record. Then review the practice habits. Review the medical treatments, and copy the least injured teams around the league. 

Then again, I feel like we're making a big deal of the IR, but when you're out of the playoffs, you automatically put players on the IR to open up roster spots and take a look at young players, so the numbers can be misleading. What are the other teams with the most players on IR? The raiders are one of them, and they've known since week 4 that they weren't going to make the playoffs this year. So yeah... I think many of the injuries we've had this year wouldn't necessarily have been IR-worthy if we had been in the running. Many players wouldn't have been placed on IR in the hope they could come back for a playoffs run. But since we weren't in it, bye bye, see you next year (or see you never, Pierre). I'm sure someone could make a graph showing the injury reports of every team, and indicating when they were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and you'd see a spike right after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Yeah, it may not have much to do with him. Maybe it's the practice scheduling. Maybe it's just luck. But it doesn't hurt to review everything. Maybe a new strength and conditioning guy will have fresher ideas. Go and get the best guy you can find. Find someone with the best track record. Then review the practice habits. Review the medical treatments, and copy the least injured teams around the league. 

Then again, I feel like we're making a big deal of the IR, but when you're out of the playoffs, you automatically put players on the IR to open up roster spots and take a look at young players, so the numbers can be misleading. What are the other teams with the most players on IR? The raiders are one of them, and they've known since week 4 that they weren't going to make the playoffs this year. So yeah... I think many of the injuries we've had this year wouldn't necessarily have been IR-worthy if we had been in the running. Many players wouldn't have been placed on IR in the hope they could come back for a playoffs run. But since we weren't in it, bye bye, see you next year (or see you never, Pierre). I'm sure someone could make a graph showing the injury reports of every team, and indicating when they were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and you'd see a spike right after.

I don't know man, we have been having big injuries far before it was apparent we had nothing to play for. And I mean we had recurring injuries and players continuing to get hurt. Why the hell was Breida cleared to play every week when it would just result in him getting hurt again? Remember, this medical staff completely ignored Foster's shoulder and the man's shoulder a year in a half was damn near hanging off every time he ran. There is just too much smoke here. We need an overhaul from the medical staff to the S&C team. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact we have such a bad medical staff is so crazy to me because the penninsula has some of the best hospitals in the world. You would think we would have access to incredible doctors and facilities that other teams wouldn't. 

I mean, Stanford hospital is like 15 minutes away lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know man, we have been having big injuries far before it was apparent we had nothing to play for. And I mean we had recurring injuries and players continuing to get hurt. Why the hell was Breida cleared to play every week when it would just result in him getting hurt again? Remember, this medical staff completely ignored Foster's shoulder and the man's shoulder a year in a half was damn near hanging off every time he ran. There is just too much smoke here. We need an overhaul from the medical staff to the S&C team. 

 

I'm really more worried about the medical staff this year than the strenght coaches. They totally whiffed on McKinnon. Maybe it wouldn't have been a complete ACL tear if he had been diagnosed properly in the first week of preseason. But he wasn't, and a few weeks later, POP goes the ACL. Jimmy G's injury was just a bad break, it wasn't on either the medical or strength staff. Foster's shoulder could be on either or both. Or it could be on Foster himself. Did he do all he needed to in order to survive the NFL? The strenght and conditioning staff can give him a plan, but what if he doesn't follow it? He was a supreme athlete who got by on speed and instincts for far too long. What if he didn't really work hard enough at being a pro?

About Breida, I feel like he was just in that grey area where the injury is nagging, but it comes down to a pregame workout feel, and as a competitor and a guy trying to secure his spot in the NFL, Breida would tell the doctors and the coaches that he feels good to go. Can you blame him? He had a chance to be a #1. He was being a difference maker. He had a chance to help his team win (which I'm sure mattered a ton more to him than to us fans, who cared for 2019 more than 2018 at that point). So no, I don't think Breida's recurrent injuries are really on the strength staff or the medical staff. He just wasn't injured bad enough to be forced to sit, and the guy has a right to want to compete. Had it been a winning season, we'd be praising his toughness (which I am doing. Praise be his toughness, little dude!). But since it's a wasted season (outside of us getting the #2 overall pick), we criticize the staff...

I'm not satisfied with the work done by the team to prevent injuries. I'm good with making changes. I care about the well-being of our players short and long term, and if we can improve, we should. Someone on twitter commented maybe the field had something to do, and we should look at that as well, even if there's no evidence it has anything to do with it. If anything, let's look at the field because it's an embarrassment. A visual embarrassment on national TV, every time I look at it. Maybe it does have an impact on injuries. It forces players to wear different cleats, and maybe that has a lot more impact than we can see. What about when they go from between the hashmarks (where it's constantly re-sodded) to the outside (where it isn't), it might not be the same consistency, the same firmness and you suddenly get a lot more grip, thus more stress to your ligaments. And going from the outside to the inside... 

Every department has to be reviewed year in and year out. I'm not satisfied with the groundsmen, with the doctors, with the strength and conditioning, with the defensive position coaches, with the DC, with the FO (I'm not dissatisfied... I'm just not satisfied enough). Any positive change makes our team better. A 10% improvement in turf quality might equate to a win, who knows? A better medical staff might equate to 5 wins. Adding a pass rusher might make us a playoffs team. But when we start winning, I'm pretty sure some of the minor bugs won't even make it to the injury report, and some of the bigger injuries will be downgraded to "Day to day" or "questionable". If we had TY Hilton on our team, going through what he has the last few weeks, he would have been on IR. But on a playoffs team, the guy will battle through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say remember when we hired him Redskins fans say there was a ton of injuries. I went and researched found a article about him and his fireing from the Redskins

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/01/07/redskins-fire-head-strength-and-conditioning-coach-ray-wright/?utm_term=.36e56c77d883

Here's a part of the article below

The Redskins this season endured an injury-plagued campaign, with 13 players ending the year on the injured reserve list. But it wasn’t clear if Redskins brass believed that Wright’s efforts, or the lack there of, played a role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I will say remember when we hired him Redskins fans say there was a ton of injuries. I went and researched found a article about him and his fireing from the Redskins

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2015/01/07/redskins-fire-head-strength-and-conditioning-coach-ray-wright/?utm_term=.36e56c77d883

Here's a part of the article below

The Redskins this season endured an injury-plagued campaign, with 13 players ending the year on the injured reserve list. But it wasn’t clear if Redskins brass believed that Wright’s efforts, or the lack there of, played a role.

Have the Redskins had fewer injuries without Wright, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×