Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

10 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Is he any good though?  He was a total bust in Miami and he didn't do much late this season in Green Bay either.

That's as a head coach.  He's still a very good OL coach.  It'd be interesting to hear what Matt Birk has to say about him, considering he was Birk's OL coach and OC at Harvard his last year.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's as a head coach.  He's still a very good OL coach.  It'd be interesting to hear what Matt Birk has to say about him, considering he was Birk's OL coach and OC at Harvard his last year.  

Does Birk have any interest in coaching, I wonder?

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think I would still make a strong push to bring Russ Grimm out of retirement.  His line improved wherever he's been a coach.  Philbin doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence...and, I wonder if his presence would mean that Stefanski would constantly looking over his shoulder.  If Stefanski is the "guy," you've almost have to give him a year where he can focus on his job rather than saving his job.

The best way for stefanski to keep his job or to get a head coaching job is for him to have the best offensive line possible imo

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

The best way for stefanski to keep his job or to get a head coaching job is for him to have the best offensive line possible imo

While certainly that's the case, but I also don't think it can hurt to have the best coaches around him too, who do have experience as OCs, so they can support him as well.  Russ Grimm doesn't have that, nor does he seem to have the interest any longer in even coaching.  You don't want a guy coming in who only has his feet half-in, which seems to be the case with Grimm, as well as Tice.  

I don't care who they bring in, as long as they can help us out in the trenches.

However, not to be a downer, but Zimmer is likely going to make their life more difficult and the uphill more UP-hill by drafting every other position except offensive line in the early rounds.

41 minutes ago, Torchezim said:

I don't care who they bring in, as long as they can help us out in the trenches.

However, not to be a downer, but Zimmer is likely going to make their life more difficult and the uphill more UP-hill by drafting every other position except offensive line in the early rounds.

Zimmer doesn't draft players.  He only provides his opinion to Spielman.  Spielman has complete control over the draft.  

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think I’d rather have Philbin, to be honest. But they’d definitely be 1a and 1b for me. 

Agreed.  I'd be fine with either.  If Green Bay has done anything really, really well, it's developing OL players.  

Archived